Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM

266 posts, read 396,790 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks, just trying to get a rough idea on the cost to upgrade an in ground pool to a salt water system. I have read costs can vary from 2k to 5k. This would be for a pool with a liner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
I have no idea, but somebody on this or one of the other Alabama boards (I think) mentioned that and someone knowledgeable about it explained that salt water pools have their own list of minutes and pluses.
I've only swum in one, and I really liked it!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,265,371 times
Its replacing the pumps, I would call a couple of local pool companies like Blue Dolphin and Johnson Pools and give them your pool size and have them quote you. I'm not sure exact costs of salt water systems but they are about $1500 more on average when buying the pumps than a chlorine (last I checked). Costs of maintenance are lower.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
I'd say that Ander's pool will talk with you honestly about why you may or may not want a salt pool. I'm not sure if the other companies would smell the money and just sell it to you regardless, but if the same people are there that were 10 years ago, they'll let you know what they know so you can decide if you really want to.

Steven Trammell is the guy I know there.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM

33 posts, read 61,176 times
I did it myself, for approx $850.00 but that was several years ago. I was using the Baquacil stuff & the salt was virtually maintenance free afterward. it was a good investment.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Its replacing the pumps, I would call a couple of local pool companies like Blue Dolphin and Johnson Pools and give them your pool size and have them quote you. I'm not sure exact costs of salt water systems but they are about $1500 more on average when buying the pumps than a chlorine (last I checked). Costs of maintenance are lower.
It has nothing to do with "replacing the pumps".....

The salt system is installed using the existing equipment. A flow switch/cell are plumbed in with the control box mounted on the wall and sourced for power. Add the appropriate amount of salt for the size (gallons) of the pool.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 AM

I had a client two years ago that switched a chlorine to salt water and had to replace the pump. Which is why I said I would call a pool company.

Agree with Corelysium, Anders is another good pool company. They handle the maintenance of our neighborhood pool and are very professional.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM

266 posts, read 396,790 times
Cool, my wife and I are thinking of putting an offer in on a house and it has a pool. I already plan to have a pool company come in and inspect the pool, instead of relying on the home inspector for that bit, and I had planned to get a quote from them on upgrading to salt water system. Then probably get another 2-3 companies out to quote me the upgrade cost. I had a long conversation at a previous job about salt water pools and the person that I chatted with loved it and he said it cost him 5k to upgrade. So he might have been someone that needed an upgraded pump and/or maybe he got a more sophisticated setup.

I was just looking for a rough order of magnitude costs. I am sure I could upgrade it myself at lower costs, but pools are something that I am unfamiliar with and don't feel comfortable doing the work myself. Pools involve plumbing and plumbing is the bane of my existance.

Thanks all

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

Most home inspectors don't do pool inspections anyways, but you can ask the pool inspector to also quote you for the salt water system while he is there, as he will already be inspecting the pump, electrical, etc.

I have several friends that have salt water pools and they love them....one out of necessity because their daughter has severe eczema. There are pros and cons to everything but honestly I really like the salt water pools, much better on your skin.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
...I really like the salt water pools, much better on your skin.
And the chemical costs are MUCH lower than the fresh water pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area