Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times

Advertisements

So I work off of Quality Circle right next to where they just built some new apartments. That land and the land behind the building was all once farmland which extended to the large retaining pond that goes to the new Hampton inn. The retaining pond is now empty and they have dug a large hole next to the apartment complex. Anyone have a clue of what they are doing? I know Cabelas is going in over by the Hampton inn, but I have no idea whats going on with that retaining pond or the area behind the new apartments. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
So I work off of Quality Circle right next to where they just built some new apartments. That land and the land behind the building was all once farmland which extended to the large retaining pond that goes to the new Hampton inn. The retaining pond is now empty and they have dug a large hole next to the apartment complex. Anyone have a clue of what they are doing? I know Cabelas is going in over by the Hampton inn, but I have no idea whats going on with that retaining pond or the area behind the new apartments. Anyone know?
Maybe a dirt bike track? I see a big hill that looks like it would be fun to use as a ramp :P

Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
Maybe a dirt bike track? I see a big hill that looks like it would be fun to use as a ramp :P
Thats been an eyesore for almost two years now.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
Quote:
Thats been an eyesore for almost two years now.
Ha, I have never noticed. Just saw it yesterday after noticing the clearing of trees. Couldn't be more of an eye sore than the fireworks stand next the propane tanks lol.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
Pretty sure the Cabelas is actually going in the spot to the south of the apartments. Part of the pond is being filled in for parking and other retail buildings. Other retail would go in closer to the hotel I believe.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM

Huntsville OKs $3M deal to land Alabama's first Cabela's outdoor superstore | AL.com

If you look at this picture here its not going in by the lake. Its going in in front of the hotel. Looking at the rendering at that website it looks like maybe a park or something.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM

375 posts, read 513,866 times
Quote:
Huntsville OKs $3M deal to land Alabama's first Cabela's outdoor superstore | AL.com

If you look at this picture here its not going in by the lake. Its going in in front of the hotel. Looking at the rendering at that website it looks like maybe a park or something.
The Cabela's building is to the far left near the tree line in the linked rendering. It's not the building in front of the hotel.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM

I'm not quite sure. This picture here doesn't really have names on the buildings.

http://media.al.com/business_impact/...69968ce3cc.png

The Pin here on this map in this article would indicate that it is going in North of the Hampton Inn.

Cabela's to begin construction this fall on first Alabama store in Huntsville | AL.com

But I really don't care about Cabela's. What I am refering to is the space just west of the apartment complex.

This picture here shows exactly what I'm talking about:

http://media.al.com/business_impact/...95dd70e619.jpg

With the above picture as a reference, right now, the green area just beyond the apartment complex (looks like a bra), is now a hole, and they are still digging that hole. From The edge of the property of the apartment complex the land drops probably 15 feet. Then three is a hole another 10 feet deep that they are still digging. The first picture I referenced shows that as some sort of green space, maybe a park, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM

375 posts, read 513,866 times
The Cabela's is the larger store that is westernmost in the rendering. That's basically a deduction given the stated square footage of the Huntsville store and comparing it with the footprint of other similarly-sized Cabela's stores. You can look at the Chattanooga store to see what I'm talking about.

The pin that you are seeing in the referenced picture is simply noting that the road will be renamed Cabela's Way. I have no idea what it's called now, but it will eventually be changed to Cabela's Way. Most of the orange buildings in that picture are future development. I suspect some will be built at the same time as Cabella's and others will be built out later.

It's possible that the lake is just being extended to the west since they are having to fill in a portion of it on the south side. The actual finished development may not have all of the landscaping, trees, etc. that are shown on the architectural rendering.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 AM

152 posts, read 240,923 times
I saw that yesterday and was also wondering what was going on. I was under the impression that Cabela's was going to be built near the intersection, but never could figure out how they were going to fit a large building and parking in that space.

All the maps and news coverage always seemed to indicate is was going in right in front of the hotel, directly east of Covenant School. It makes more sense, now that I look at it, that it's built at the west end of the road.

Also, did anybody notice the land being cleared directly south, on the other side of the train tracks, right there under the elevated bend of Governor's West? Odd place to build something; looks like it's just clearing for a lot of utility work.

Coog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area