Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 PM

169 posts, read 206,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Highway 31 over to the Mooresville Road area up to East Limestone Road.....north of Nick Davis across north Harvest (that is where Anderson Hills is, just north of Sparkman High). That seems to be the predominant path in this area.
While that seems to be the predominant tornado path, there's no statistical evidence for such miniature Tornado Alleys. If you throw a bunch of events on a map randomly, there tend to be clusters:

Thoughts on the Space-Time Distribution of Tornadoes

This means Anderson Hills may have just been unluckier than Hampton Cove over the years, though I can tell you where I'd rather be if a big outbreak were expected!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
A different set of Data

Tornado History Project: Madison County, Alabama

This is from 1951 to 4/11/2011.

This shows that NW Huntsville has been pretty immune to a tornado. It shows that there have been a significant number of Tornadoes between North of Capshaw, south of Harvest, and east of county line during that period. This is a 60 year period. Another 60 years could show something else, but in the last 60 years, it doesn't appear that locally the data is that "random".

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
A different set of Data

This shows that NW Huntsville has been pretty immune to a tornado. It shows that there have been a significant number of Tornadoes between North of Capshaw, south of Harvest, and east of county line during that period. This is a 60 year period. Another 60 years could show something else, but in the last 60 years, it doesn't appear that locally the data is that "random".
Looking at the storms on the above linked web page, I can say for a fact some of the tracks are off by quite a bit. The 1995 Anderson Hills tornado is a great example. It is several miles off.
So I wouldn't use that page in a serious discussion.

With that said, Harvest does attract some storms. We think it is the magnetic field generated by the giant alien space ship buried under Burwell Mnt.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:20 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
A different set of Data

Interesting data. I could look at this stuff all day long.

Look at 3 F5's that have passed through Tanner. Wow.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
Looking at the storms on the above linked web page, I can say for a fact some of the tracks are off by quite a bit. The 1995 Anderson Hills tornado is a great example. It is several miles off.
So I wouldn't use that page in a serious discussion.

With that said, Harvest does attract some storms. We think it is the magnetic field generated by the giant alien space ship buried under Burwell Mnt.

It appears that they have 34.8 -86.25 as the lifting coordinates and it should be 34.9 -86.25.

Makes me wonder how many are right?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Makes me wonder how many are right?
I think they just drew some lines that were close to sort of maybe in the right spot.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I think they just drew some lines that were close to sort of maybe in the right spot.

Well, I went to a few others using their touch down and lifting coordinates and they were correct. I sent them an email to find out more about how they were doing it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well, I went to a few others using their touch down and lifting coordinates and they were correct. I sent them an email to find out more about how they were doing it.
Check out the big 4/27/11 tornado. That site has it tracking south of Burwell Mt, when in reality it went North of there. I am not using the coordinates, I just know the area and where these things went.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 PM

169 posts, read 206,175 times
Quote:
I'd like to see some statistical backing for the conclusion that there have been a "significant" number of tornadoes in the region described. There are more lines in some places and less in others. Do homeowners near the intersection of Mastin Lake & Pulaski get a discount on tornado insurance because no tornado has been closer than a mile or two in 60 years? Do Anderson Hills residents get charged more? Insurance companies are incentivized to figure this stuff out, so that would be one way to check the numbers. They sure do charge more if you live in a potential flood plain.

And while 60 years sounds like a lot of time (and data), tornadoes are statistically rare events even in a 60 year period. Quoting from the other article: "But with the information we have now, it's not possible to say with any confidence that existing clusters and voids in tornado occurrences are anything more than random statistical fluctuations."

Everyone meet back here in 2075 and we'll go over the numbers again.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
I'd like to see some statistical backing for the conclusion that there have been a "significant" number of tornadoes in the region described. There are more lines in some places and less in others. Do homeowners near the intersection of Mastin Lake & Pulaski get a discount on tornado insurance because no tornado has been closer than a mile or two in 60 years? Do Anderson Hills residents get charged more? Insurance companies are incentivized to figure this stuff out, so that would be one way to check the numbers. They sure do charge more if you live in a potential flood plain.

And while 60 years sounds like a lot of time (and data), tornadoes are statistically rare events even in a 60 year period. Quoting from the other article: "But with the information we have now, it's not possible to say with any confidence that existing clusters and voids in tornado occurrences are anything more than random statistical fluctuations."

Everyone meet back here in 2075 and we'll go over the numbers again.
People only live in house for only so many years though. Its quite possible Harvest won't see another tornado for 50 years or even 100 years. Problem is, there isn't any current data showing that. North of Capshaw, south of Harvest area has had 10 tornadoes in the last 60 or so years, 8 of those in the 30 years, and 6 since 1995. While on the large scale tornadoes look random across a large area, that doesn't mean that taking a chunk of the smaller area has the same "randomness". Just take a look at Alabama. If tornadoes were random across the state, then there would be an equal number of tornadoes North of Birmingham and South of Birmingham. That is not the case though. North of Birmingham has about twice the distribution of total Tornadoes, and possibly 3 to 4 times the distribution of stronger tornadoes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area