Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 AM

301 posts, read 333,741 times

Advertisements

Im reading alot of "me first" in your post OP. Perhaps you are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I have to disagree as I have lived in other cities before moving up here. I clearly haven't experienced the ME first attitude although I probably haven't eaten at the restaurant you did but things like that happen everywhere.

I came upon an accident right after it happened and was amazed at all the people who jumped into action to help the victims. Another time I was driving behind a funeral procession and was amazed that people were pulling over on the opposite side of the road. Hadn't seen that in a long time.

I have a saying that you have to look for the good as the bad shows up soon enough.

I think that it is really hard to leave some place you have lived for a long time especially if you like like living there.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,005 times
Thank you all for your responses to my post. I very much appreciate hearing both the positive and negative responses. It helps me to understand my own perspective within the context of the discussion.
Last night I was driving back from the grocery store. I was doing the speed limit and was passed on the right side (the shoulder) of the road. Amazing disregard for safety, particularly since I needed to make a right turn myself to enter the road to my apartment. (did I just use too many "I's" and "me's"...?...lol)
Compassion allows us to accept one another, regardless of how different we each may seem to one another. It is my hope and desire to help others realize the potential of their own compassion.
It is truly an amazing thing when people demonstrate regard, respect, understanding and compassion for one another.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM

301 posts, read 333,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSouth View Post
Thank you all for your responses to my post. I very much appreciate hearing both the positive and negative responses. It helps me to understand my own perspective within the context of the discussion.
Last night I was driving back from the grocery store. I was doing the speed limit and was passed on the right side (the shoulder) of the road. Amazing disregard for safety, particularly since I needed to make a right turn myself to enter the road to my apartment. (did I just use too many "I's" and "me's"...?...lol)
Compassion allows us to accept one another, regardless of how different we each may seem to one another. It is my hope and desire to help others realize the potential of their own compassion.
It is truly an amazing thing when people demonstrate regard, respect, understanding and compassion for one another.

WTF were you crying as you wrote that?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
The 1 thing I've noticed here in HSV/Madison versus other places I've lived in the south is that people tend to be a little more oblivious to their surroundings. I've noticed it mostly in stores, malls, sidewalks, etc. Example: 2 people are in the middle of the grocery aisle carrying on a conversation and their carts are blocking the entire aisle, and they see you coming and make no effort to move so you can go around them. Not ALWAYS, but more often than anywhere else I've lived. I find myself saying "excuse me" a lot more here than I've ever had to, and I get glared at like I'm the rude one for interrupting someone's conversation. I've always tried to be aware of my surroundings and move if I'm blocking an aisle, or say "excuse me" if I'm standing in front of something that another shopper is trying to reach. but it seems like I've encountered a lot of people who either (a) just don't care; or (b) are oblivious. I'm not painting a broad brush....just saying that this has happened to me more here than the other places I've lived as an adult.

When I lived in Rome, GA, I saw a phenomenon that I haven't seen anywhere else (thank goodness). People there seem to have NO regard for fire lanes in front of stores. Any time I went to Kroger, Walmart, etc., the entire fire lane would be full of cars parked with their flashers on. I guess the driver pulls up to let someone get out & go into the store and they just sit there waiting, rather than circling the parking lot or finding a place to park. I'm not exaggerating, it was an epidemic! It was incredibly rude, not to mention dangerous.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
I drove to Fl and back this weekend during the spring break rush....I have to disagree. Watching the jackasses on our beloved I-65 acting as if they own the road screamed "Me First". I almost got hit 4 different times by idiots jumping between lanes.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 AM

12 posts, read 16,529 times
Default Asks for Compassion, doesn't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSouth View Post
I can see you're so compassionate about accepting and understanding others that you make a post on a city forum of which you are a recent transplant in and use two examples in which you were neither accepting or forgiving but held a grudge in both accounts.

Take your own advice and realize your own sense of compassion, demonstrate respect, and understanding by acting not only mature in the situation but in your own thoughts. Acting like an "adult" in the situation only to now come onto a forum where you have held a grudge against these people is about as immature as it gets.

If you carry the outlook and grudges that everyone you meet is probably selfish, uncompassionate, rude, and disrespectful that is what you will find because that is all you are focusing on. Why don't you look around and try to see and find people that make up for the 1 or 2 rude/selfish people you encounter in a day with the person who greets you warmly or holds the door open for a stranger.

P.S. If you were about to make a right turn why are you driving in the fast lane?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,005 times
P.S. If you were about to make a right turn why are you driving in the fast lane?

It was a two lane road, not a freeway.

I have met some wonderful people here in the HSV area, my co-workers in particular. What I am talking about is the nature of the culture here, not necessarily individual persons. I have no grudge against any one person. My discussion is about the culture of the area. There is a distinction. It appears from this discussion, that others have recognized this in the culture here, as well.

Like I said in a prior post, I very much appreciate both the positive and negative responses to this discussion. They are both very helpful in understanding the perception that others, including myself have about this topic. Thank you, all.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 16,529 times
Default Pick and choose much

I like how you only responded to the one P.S. line from my 3 paragraph long post.

If you want to make a thread and complain about drivers in Huntsville then do so, but when I give you practical advice and you don't comment on it then go elsewhere to complain.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Maybe you just got used to Seattle?

I know I spent a week in Seattle, Still have nightmares...especially the girl with the blue hair jumping back and forth screaming at the top of her lungs "Let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor..."

She had her hat out for money, this was just above the fish market and the mall where you get of the tram/train.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh and lets not forget the "Wall of Gum." OMG..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area