Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM

10 posts, read 77,208 times

Advertisements

I did some research on thepricentonreview.com and UAH was in fact listed as one of the best universities in the southeast, when and if i enrolled it would be as a computer science of management information systems major. How is the shopping sitiuation in Huntsville? Are there any major malls in the area or will i have to do all my shopping online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 06:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,398 times
Yes there are two major malls, Parkway City and University Square. There are also two other major shopping areas both anchored by Target centers, one in Jones Valley and the other near University Square mall. We also have a new Fresh Market opening next week for those looking for upscale health food groceries. We also are getting a number of nice restaurants including several new ones in the revitalized downtown area.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 77,208 times
thats good to hear, because im not used to buying everything at wal-mart. lol

Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 AM

The Parkway Place mall has probably the more upscale stores with Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Banana Republic, etc as well as a Carrabba's Restaurant. Oops, the other mall is named Madison Square not what I said in previous post. It has Sears, JC Penney, Parisian, Dillards and Belk as well as other specialty stores.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
dac

4 posts, read 21,422 times
Huntsville is NOT a redneck southern town. And UAH is a great cs school. Has a nice coop program. I had a friend that cooped with the army, and worked on the americas army game.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 35,311 times
You and any aged individual or family will fall in love with this area. It is the fastest growing in the state, has the highest per capita income.. major universities and colleges, many extension schools, symphony, broadway theater, ballet, all the amenities you can find in any large metropolis and lower property taxes than most places in the U.S. You will be coming to an area where faith, values, morality and ethics are high. Many folks are retired military, many are defense contractors and we also have automobile manufacturing here too. The area is diverse and you will find that Huntsville MSA has a diverse and great ratio of all people. When we retired out of the military from Europe and came here, after spending decades prior to that in the Southwest this became a haven. We have 4 seasons and yes do get some extremely cold weather. But we golf all year :-) ! Hope you will enjoy this area. For the guys who wrote about being single...there are many eligible women in the area..working for contractors, army, nasa, etc. Hope you enjoy it here.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:21 AM

I have never taken classes at either UAH or A&M but thought I would add one point for clarification. I think it was due to a court order (desegregation), the two schools divided the majors so that there is not duplication of degrees. In particular I have two friends (both very smart )who got or are getting degrees from A&M - one in library science and the other in educational testing. These degree programs are not offered at UAH, only A&M.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Default Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppermike View Post
And not without reason.
White people are so oppressed in this country. It's so hard to get a good job or a decent education or catch a taxi or control the country's or state's government or make money if you're white. Being white makes it so hard to get into country clubs or get let off by the cops with drugs in your car. I feel so oppressed.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
I just moved here this year from a major city. This place is not the place for a single person. I moved here from atlanta and this city really sucks. The down town, I would not even consider it a down town. Its more like a Business campus. Coming from a fast paced city, this place is slow motion. It feels like if you travel back in time to say about 5-10 years ago. I also see alot of ignorance in this city. The people here do not know how to drive. and the crime is pretty bad. Cars being broken in to for cd's. Homes being robbed, and shoot outs inside TGI friday to name the worst. If you are old and have kids it might be a great place to live. I still wouldnt live here under those circumstances. I have seen racisim here. Its not your typical cross burning, blunt racisim, but more of a subliminal quiet racisim. Everything closes early here, and there really is no place to go. Heck I am glad that I will only be here for a couple of years. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYBODY FROM ANY MAJOR CITY, only if you are in a witness protection program, or you are moving deep within the sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom07 View Post
hey how are you guys doing, im doing a little bit of research about Huntsville because my employer is about to build a new center in the Cummings Research Park. I have a few questions about the city before i really make my choice on whether to do the relocation or not, but let me give you a little background about me first: Im a 23 y/o male with no kids, heck no girlfriend either so im not really worried about housing prices or school systems at this point because i will be renting an apartment if i moved down there.. im currently located in Detroit, MI which of course is a much more populated area than Huntsville, but do you guys have some of the same things as larger cities just on a smaller scale? I have been doing some research and the economy looks to be in great shape unlike up here in MI so that is strong selling point of course.. But to wrap this up.. how do you think the average 21-25 y/o would enjoy Huntsville? Is there a vibrant downtown? Also how diverse is the area, im african american and so is 95% of Detroit as well, so whats the ratio in the Huntsville area.. Thanks in advance

Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Dude,

I grew up in Metro-Detroit. I lived about 40 minutes from Huntsville, on the Tenn Side and my sister used to live in Hunstville.
I've got to tell you that you will be bored out of your mind. Huntsville, would be a fine place for a young white family to live. I would take a long hard look, before I moved there.
Just remember that you are only 44 miles from Pulaski TN, the birth place of the Klan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area