Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 AM

513 posts, read 868,470 times

Advertisements

I went to MovieStop yesterday and it's gone.. where did it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 AM

127 posts, read 111,217 times
Its in the same place as Blockbuster.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinb View Post
Its in the same place as Blockbuster.
Over by The Salvation Army in Huntsville?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:59 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
MovieStop Shuttering
MovieStop Shuttering | Home Media Magazine

Hastings Entertainment, MovieStop File for Bankruptcy
Hastings Entertainment, MovieStop File for Bankruptcy - WSJ

Old 08-16-2016, 11:59 AM

641 posts, read 699,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
MovieStop Shuttering
MovieStop Shuttering | Home Media Magazine

Hastings Entertainment, MovieStop File for Bankruptcy
Hastings Entertainment, MovieStop File for Bankruptcy - WSJ
Yep. Hastings bought MovieStop, and apparently fouled it up badly enough that both are history.

MS is already liquidated and gone, not sure if the Hastings liquidation is finished yet.

I went by the Huntsville MS during its last few weeks, and they had some really good deals. It was only earlier this year that I had found out what great deals they had, like the trade 3 used get 1 preorder movie.

Very sad for those of us that still like physical media. FYE's prices to trade or buy used movies are not nearly so consumer friendly as MS. Which I guess helps explain the liquidations.....

David

Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 AM

I am so sad.. Thank you for the info

Old 08-23-2016, 11:16 AM

290 posts, read 383,096 times
Our MovieStop here in Mobile was closed couple of months ago.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM

283 posts, read 409,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Yep. Hastings bought MovieStop, and apparently fouled it up badly enough that both are history.

MS is already liquidated and gone, not sure if the Hastings liquidation is finished yet.

I went by the Huntsville MS during its last few weeks, and they had some really good deals. It was only earlier this year that I had found out what great deals they had, like the trade 3 used get 1 preorder movie.

Very sad for those of us that still like physical media. FYE's prices to trade or buy used movies are not nearly so consumer friendly as MS. Which I guess helps explain the liquidations.....

David
I can't believe I still even have DVD's left, I don't even have a player anymore, unless you count my XBOX ONE. Fox has stated they will totally faze out DVD within the next five or so years. Everything is going to go Digital including games unless you order the Disk game from the website connected to the game makers. All three major Movie companies have stated over the last year or so that It cost them twice as much to produce the DVD's compared to the digital media like Netflix and Crackle and others. Digital Media is great and all,and creates lots more jobs than downloaded games and movies, but what compies don't want to save every dollar. Cenram Huntsville was bought out, by another company, fox that had lots of upper management at the Cenram in Huntsville, fired or transfered lots of upper management. Cenram also cut there production many times over the last year. It's not producing the amount of movies it once did. It just proves that Digital is killing DVD's, just like DVD's killed the VCR industry.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:13 PM

641 posts, read 699,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
I can't believe I still even have DVD's left, I don't even have a player anymore, unless you count my XBOX ONE. Fox has stated they will totally faze out DVD within the next five or so years. Everything is going to go Digital including games unless you order the Disk game from the website connected to the game makers. All three major Movie companies have stated over the last year or so that It cost them twice as much to produce the DVD's compared to the digital media like Netflix and Crackle and others. Digital Media is great and all,and creates lots more jobs than downloaded games and movies, but what compies don't want to save every dollar. Cenram Huntsville was bought out, by another company, fox that had lots of upper management at the Cenram in Huntsville, fired or transfered lots of upper management. Cenram also cut there production many times over the last year. It's not producing the amount of movies it once did. It just proves that Digital is killing DVD's, just like DVD's killed the VCR industry.
It's unfortunate, because I like physical media and the higher bit rate. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

On a long trip, I even haul along a spare blu-ray player and discs. Streaming on the road doesn't always work out so well.

I think Cinram is now Technicolor. I have ordered a lot of media from foxconnect.com. The orders always ship from Moores Mill Road late that same night via UPS, and then go to Montgomery, and then back to Huntsville UPS. And then out for delivery the morning after the order. I do get hit for 4% sales tax.

It always amuses me that the shipment goes all the way to Montgomery and back, when the local UPS is 4.2 miles away from Cinram/Technicolor. But of course the plant just loads a bulk shipment for UPS and it all gets sorted out in Montgomery.

Technicolor to buy Cinram - Business - The Times-Tribune

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area