Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times

Advertisements

That's a huge spread in ages! They must all keep you hopping for sure. I have a degree in Education but worked in Radio for years (it's like teaching Kindergarteners in a way LOL) and then with the Edison Project through Whittle Enterprises. That was Private management of public school dollars. S-T ratio is very important as well. But with my rising 9th grader, it's all about the drama department! She could do the math/science stuff as she has her dad's physic's brain and easily excels in it, but she's a Diva at heart.

I figured you had a background in education by your knowledgeable posts.

My husband's in Hville till this afternoon and he said just seeing the kids riding their bikes to and from places like their local school if in the neighborhood was so great. Mine's been out of her own base school since 3rd grade and we've been transporting her ever since. I am looking forward to our new life in Huntsville. I know we'll have a fabulous time when we get settled again.

Take care and best of luck to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM

12 posts, read 38,897 times
We will be bringing our kids to Huntsville in April to tour the schools. It will be interesting to see their reactions and hear their comments. Since we feel Grissom and BJ are close in the classes they offer it will be the kids decision. I would also like to have them tryout for their fall sports and get them enrolled in summer programs. Does anyone have recomendations, they are interested in volleyball,scoccer,basketball and football.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 AM

142 posts, read 675,477 times
Default Sports in Huntsville

There are many choices for soccer in "metro" Huntsville.

Spring is the school soccer season, so fall is the major season for club\travel\rec teams.

For club:

Kicks Futbol Club
Kicks Futbol CLub - Huntsville Alabama

Huntsville Soccer Club
HSC - Home

Valley Futbol Club
Valley Futbol Club

United Soccer Club
United Soccer Club - Huntsville, Alabama

Lady Freedom 97
Lady Freedom 97 (http://eteamz.active.com/LadyFreedom97 - broken link)

And then Rec teams:

AYSO Huntsville
AYSO - Region 160 Home

AYSO Monrovia
AYSO Region 894 (http://www.ayso894.org/ext2/ - broken link)

AYSO Madison
AYSO Region 498, Madison, AL (http://www.madisonrecreation.org/AYSO - broken link)

For the other sports, try these sites:

Madison, Alabama Recreation

http://eteamz.active.com/mprasports

City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama ***

Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Good news for BJHS:

Bob Jones High athletic program called state's best- al.com

Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,572 times
I read an interesting article in recent Hsv Times about the award winning Art program at Bob Jones. I know a couple of kids who went through it and they both received nice scholarships because of their art work.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 AM

55 posts, read 229,593 times
Here's what we did: we narrowed our choices down to Bob Jones, Grissom and Huntsville because they are all great schools and we figured we could find a suitable house in any one of those areas, then we let our daughter (a rising 10th grader) decide. She ended up meeting three really nice kids from Huntsville HS, so that cinched it for her. The fact that the HHS marching band had just come back from a trip to Ireland helped too! By allowing her to choose the school, we feel that it gave her a little bit of control over a situation she has no control over. We are making our 2nd move in 2 years, so she was not happy about having to start all over again.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltkat View Post
Here's what we did: we narrowed our choices down to Bob Jones, Grissom and Huntsville because they are all great schools and we figured we could find a suitable house in any one of those areas, then we let our daughter (a rising 10th grader) decide. She ended up meeting three really nice kids from Huntsville HS, so that cinched it for her. The fact that the HHS marching band had just come back from a trip to Ireland helped too! By allowing her to choose the school, we feel that it gave her a little bit of control over a situation she has no control over. We are making our 2nd move in 2 years, so she was not happy about having to start all over again.
We sort of did the same thing. Our kids are too young but we could go either way, there are nice homes in all three HS zones.

There are some nice images and videos here plus below some nice photos of some of the other HHS teams:

Huntsville High School Band

Huntsville High School Sports Page

Huntsville High Lady Panthers

(images not protected by copyright)

http://www.hhspantherswimanddive.com/images/team_1107.jpg (broken link)

http://www.hhspantherwrestling.com/team.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 06-26-2008 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Default BJHS $26M scholarships vs. $34M for all of Huntsville's City High Schools

This is incredible:

Madison County Record : News Briefs (http://www.madisoncountyrecord.com/articles/2008/06/27/news_briefs/nb1.txt - broken link)

Bob Jones High School students received $26M worth of scholarships while the entire set of students from the seven high schools in Huntsville City School district received $34M

Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is incredible:

Madison County Record : News Briefs (http://www.madisoncountyrecord.com/articles/2008/06/27/news_briefs/nb1.txt - broken link)

Bob Jones High School students received $26M worth of scholarships while the entire set of students from the seven high schools in Huntsville City School district received $34M
I think that BJHS is the largest HS in the entire state of AL (someone told me that last time I was there). It is a nationally ranked school. The test scores are not much lower than Grissom's sores (someone said they were on this forum--but I checked it). Grissom had over 20 National Merit Scholars (very impressive). I love trotting out these stats whenever some snob in Fairfax County says, oh your child will sail through the schools down south. Nothing could be further from the truth.

My husband met the principal from BJHS last summer while they were on break. He was very nice. Super accommodating.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM

426 posts, read 1,272,928 times
Charles-Bob Jones has a dedicated College Counseling office with a designated College adviser. This is in addition to the regular guidance office. Sheila Roberts has been a college advisor for many years and spends a lot of her time focusing on families and special events/projects for the students. She also has a team of parent volunteers who help with the efforts. This is why Bob Jones sees quite a bit of success in this area.

Grissom was the only city school that even had a designated college counselor and my understanding is that she has now retired. I have heard that they have promoted someone from within to fill those shoes. College counseling is a specific field and not just anyone can step into that role and be successful. (Ms. Roberts at Bob Jones came from another system where she did the same thing) BTW, no other school in the Huntsville system has a dedicated college counseling office or advisor. Interesting, isn't it?

BTW--Sparkman High School has a dedicated college advising office with a dedicated counselor as well. No one seems to write much about Sparkman on this forum but it is a perfectly respectable school. No other Madison County school has a dedicated college advising office or counselor other than Sparkman. You can't find out a whole lot about their counseling office on their website because they use the Naviance sytem and it is password protected. This is a system that a lot of top private schools use for their college advising offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area