Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 07:18 PM

653 posts, read 588,358 times

Advertisements

I know the land owner and it would cheaper to gold plate the existing Balch Road before being able to purchase that land. I don't blame him. I don't know about the map from 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 06:31 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
What do you mean incorrect? It was clearly listed as an extension on a map from about 10 years ago. Any road extension will have to deal with private property and purchasing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I know the land owner and it would cheaper to gold plate the existing Balch Road before being able to purchase that land. I don't blame him. I don't know about the map from 10 years ago.
If a road is really needed and becomes necessary, they will just use imminent domain, go through the process and send him a check for what it appraises. It sucks but that is what happens when something needs to be built and landowners are refusing to sell for the right of way or trying to block it.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:00 AM

764 posts, read 1,108,473 times
It appears that construction has started on the flyover ramps for the Town Center Blvd - I-565 interchange. There is a bulldozer on the top of the hill, and surveying stakes are visible near the east bound on ramp to I-565. Thanks to the annexation of the Publix in Clift Farms, the City of Madison is able to finance the construction of this interchange with the $700K + in sales tax revenue generated by that Publix.

Construction is also underway on the dual branded Marriott hotels (Courtyard and Residence Inn). Also, there seems to be some activity on the lot where The Hub is stated to be built, the outdoor food court, which is just east of Toyota Field, behind J. Alexander's. There is a bulldozer on the lot which has construction fencing around it. The Hub will be essentially a replica of the namesake location along the Highway 30A corridor located near Seaside, FL. The owner of The Hub is attempting to persuade many of the restaurants at that location to open restaurants at the Town Madison location, too.

Old 01-22-2023, 09:20 PM

483 posts, read 630,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If a road is really needed and becomes necessary, they will just use imminent domain, go through the process and send him a check for what it appraises. It sucks but that is what happens when something needs to be built and landowners are refusing to sell for the right of way or trying to block it.
That may happen elsewhere, for example, gaining right of way on Wall Triana, but that will never happen for the property south of Balch. Rick is 100% correct. That property belongs to one of the Adtran founders daughters. They will never sell and Madison will never take it.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
That may happen elsewhere, for example, gaining right of way on Wall Triana, but that will never happen for the property south of Balch. Rick is 100% correct. That property belongs to one of the Adtran founders daughters. They will never sell and Madison will never take it.
It doesn't really matter to me either way. If a road is badly needed and they choose not to do what it takes to make it happen, that is a problem for Madison residents and those who have to deal with the traffic or long way around. I am just saying that when one is needed and a property owner refuses to sell the right of way, imminent domain is used to make it happen. With all of that said, right now today it may be true that she would never sell and the current Madison administration would not use imminent domain on it but 5, 10 15 years from now it may be a different story.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:55 PM

483 posts, read 630,313 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter to me either way. If a road is badly needed and they choose not to do what it takes to make it happen, that is a problem for Madison residents and those who have to deal with the traffic or long way around. I am just saying that when one is needed and a property owner refuses to sell the right of way, imminent domain is used to make it happen. With all of that said, right now today it may be true that she would never sell and the current Madison administration would not use imminent domain on it but 5, 10 15 years from now it may be a different story.
This location isn't merely gaining right of way. To connect Balch to Highway 20 would take going through the center of the property owners 30+ acres.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
This location isn't merely gaining right of way. To connect Balch to Highway 20 would take going through the center of the property owners 30+ acres.
I don't know why you think it matters that it is 30+ acres. Whether it is the corner of a 3/4 acre yard or 1000 acres, if right of way is required for a road or infrastructure that is needed, they can make it happen if they want. I completely get that they would not want a road through their property. I have land that I would not want one through either but if it is necessary, it will happen whether you want it or not. If we didn't have imminent domain laws to force right of ways, many of our roads would have so many left and right turns working around people's property, it would take us forever to get anywhere.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think it matters that it is 30+ acres. Whether it is the corner of a 3/4 acre yard or 1000 acres, if right of way is required for a road or infrastructure that is needed, they can make it happen if they want. I completely get that they would not want a road through their property. I have land that I would not want one through either but if it is necessary, it will happen whether you want it or not. If we didn't have imminent domain laws to force right of ways, many of our roads would have so many left and right turns working around people's property, it would take us forever to get anywhere.
Eminent domain sometimes is abused however. One case that sticks in my mind for some reason was in New London, Connecticut in the early 2000s. It's #4 in this article: https://www.purdybailey.com/blog/202...-domain-abuse/

So the government has to be careful about taking over private land. The process needs to be unquestionably for the public good, in my opinion, and not just for the needs of a developer.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Eminent domain sometimes is abused however. One case that sticks in my mind for some reason was in New London, Connecticut in the early 2000s. It's #4 in this article: https://www.purdybailey.com/blog/202...-domain-abuse/

So the government has to be careful about taking over private land. The process needs to be unquestionably for the public good, in my opinion, and not just for the needs of a developer.
I completely agree. It should only be used for public good when it is necessary.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:22 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Let’s say the land NEXT to the rich daughter of that networking company is converted into a bypass. Does anybody think she’ll sit by and watch a 4 lane highway route around her 30 acres with all that noise. Expect frivolous lawsuits in trying to turn down a casual 45 degree turn around her property.

Another misery index for this land is it is RIGHT on the flight path of Huntsville airport. I’ve passed over that property 100 times and think if they don’t use the pool, the could make money advertising to fliers all day long. Living on a flight path that close to the airport is not fun. No bones about it, people think about moving with that much noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area