Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM

410 posts, read 696,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
Multi-sport stadiums don't work anymore. I had a conversation with a guy from Mayor Battles development commission and he said that fans don't like the compromises that have to be made. Seems we want to enjoy what we pay for. That said, a baseball stadium can be used in the off season for non-sport activities like concerts.
Agree, don't do a multi-sport venue. Get fans as close to the action as possible with good sight lines. Concerts, college and high school baseball games or tournaments, fireworks, other special events are all great options for a baseball stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
no info or rumors but I wonder if there may be other behind the scene plans
to lure baseball back to Huntsville besides this one. Huntsville officials in the past have said no,
it would take substantial private investment. Also be interesting to see what incentives the other
cities mentioned are putting together. In any case the Mobile team is for sale, could move or stay where they are at. Its a long process looking at probably three years at least.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 15,698 times
I would like to see minor league baseball back in the area. Baseball is pretty much the only sport I care about. I really like Regions Field in Birmingham. I would prefer a downtown stadium though.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
True, but the MiLB season runs during the off-season of NCAAF/NFL. (April-Sept), so there's only 1 month of overlap. So it's something to do while you wait for football season to come back around.

That's not really the point. The point is most of us will make more of an effort and spend more money to return to our alma mater during football season than watching a minor league team that we have no real ties to, so you can't really compare the two. He stated people make more of an effort to go to Auburn and Alabama....and that's very true....but for many, its more than just going to see a football game, its a return to our alma mater and getting to spend time with old college friends and fraternity brothers/sorority sisters we may never get to see aside from Saturday tailgates in the fall.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
It's not worth comparing attending minor league baseball games to going to a football game. An SEC football game is a big event you plan, costing hundreds of dollars and taking up a whole day or weekend. A local minor league game can cost as much as going to the movies or going bowling with your family. It can be done last minute on a boring night. It is much cheaper and easier to go to a local minor league baseball game obviously. And large groups can easily go and sit together. It's just a totally different experience.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
It's not worth comparing attending minor league baseball games to going to a football game. An SEC football game is a big event you plan, costing hundreds of dollars and taking up a whole day or weekend. A local minor league game can cost as much as going to the movies or going bowling with your family. It can be done last minute on a boring night. It is much cheaper and easier to go to a local minor league baseball game obviously. And large groups can easily go and sit together. It's just a totally different experience.
This basically. There's no packing up and driving 3 hours to tail gate Friday evening through Sunday morning. Going to watch a minor league ball game is like going to the Monaco Theater to watch a movie & eat pop corn on any random night lol.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
That's not really the point. The point is most of us will make more of an effort and spend more money to return to our alma mater during football season than watching a minor league team that we have no real ties to, so you can't really compare the two. He stated people make more of an effort to go to Auburn and Alabama....and that's very true....but for many, its more than just going to see a football game, its a return to our alma mater and getting to spend time with old college friends and fraternity brothers/sorority sisters we may never get to see aside from Saturday tailgates in the fall.
True. Have you got your MSU season tickets? I do. I certainly wouldn't spend that sort of money to watch minor league baseball; might not even if it was major league.

Football's not going to interfere with baseball attendance though since they play at different times of the year.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
True. Have you got your MSU season tickets? I do. I certainly wouldn't spend that sort of money to watch minor league baseball; might not even if it was major league.

Football's not going to interfere with baseball attendance though since they play at different times of the year.
Um...no. Never. My money may go there but I will NEVER be converted

I bet you are quite enjoying the events from "that school up north".

Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Um...no. Never. My money may go there but I will NEVER be converted

I bet you are quite enjoying the events from "that school up north".
Pretty bizarre, huh? Not particularly surprising though.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Baseball stadium - 5-7k seats, would be great.

As mentioned before, host hs baseball games, and go for a couple of college tournaments...

1) UAH games or conference championships,

2) Battle of Alabama schools vs TN, MS, LA, GA, etc - invite teams from the states to play against Alabama, Auburn and UAB in a three day tournament. 3 games a day in March/April.

Potential for concert venue has been mentioned - perfect for September/October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area