Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 11:16 AM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
Because nothing is really being widened. They're just shrinking the paved median and restriping lanes. To go any further (County Line - Wall Triana is all grass median) they would actually need to move some dirt and pave new lanes.
The highway really needs to be 8 lanes all the way to the airport (which is County Line Rd) anyway. Maybe they're just holding out for a real fix there. Doubtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:22 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,170,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Correct ... I meant "outside the Huntsville/Decatur metro" ... basically the rest of the state other than north-central Alabama. An example ... how much is Birmingham/Jefferson county having to kick in on the $1-$2B "bridge replacement" that's going on now? I suspect very little to nothing.
You might be talking about the bridge in mobile at that cost. The replacement bridge in birmingham is $470M

Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 PM

375 posts, read 514,214 times
Still can't fathom why ALDOT won't commit to extending the bridge decks for the 6-8 bridges that are in the section between Wall Triana and I-65. You know you're going to have to do it at some point and probably sooner rather than later. You bite the bullet now and remove that as an obstacle for any future widening plans. You don't devise a band-aid, short-term on the cheap solution when you have a company investing a billion dollars and creating 4000 jobs in the area. Especially when this is the major thoroughfare for folks getting to said investment.

I don't even know that this solution buys you much in the way of improvement considering that you've left a four-mile bottleneck between Wall-Triana and the County Line Road on-ramp where you have two additional ingress points. Plus, you've not made any infrastructure improvements that would support future widening efforts. If anything, they'll have made it more difficult to do the bridge widening the right way. How do you install temporary concrete barriers in an area where you have approximately 2' of clearance.

Further, this solution creates a bottleneck on the eastbound side at the County Line Road off-ramp where it will transition from three lanes back to two lanes. Commuters going to/from the Toyota/Mazda plant to/from Madison/Huntsville and points east will have to drive through four miles of congested roadway (with today's traffic) and only get the benefit of two miles of "widened" roadway.

ALDOT saying that they are "widening I-565" makes a good headline and a good sound bite, but as always the devil is in the details.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Still can't fathom why ALDOT won't commit to extending the bridge decks for the 6-8 bridges that are in the section between Wall Triana and I-65. You know you're going to have to do it at some point and probably sooner rather than later. You bite the bullet now and remove that as an obstacle for any future widening plans. You don't devise a band-aid, short-term on the cheap solution when you have a company investing a billion dollars and creating 4000 jobs in the area. Especially when this is the major thoroughfare for folks getting to said investment.

I don't even know that this solution buys you much in the way of improvement considering that you've left a four-mile bottleneck between Wall-Triana and the County Line Road on-ramp where you have two additional ingress points. Plus, you've not made any infrastructure improvements that would support future widening efforts. If anything, they'll have made it more difficult to do the bridge widening the right way. How do you install temporary concrete barriers in an area where you have approximately 2' of clearance.

Further, this solution creates a bottleneck on the eastbound side at the County Line Road off-ramp where it will transition from three lanes back to two lanes. Commuters going to/from the Toyota/Mazda plant to/from Madison/Huntsville and points east will have to drive through four miles of congested roadway (with today's traffic) and only get the benefit of two miles of "widened" roadway.

ALDOT saying that they are "widening I-565" makes a good headline and a good sound bite, but as always the devil is in the details.
Yep. It might be "cheaper" now for the wet band-aid, but it will be much more expensive waiting. Of course we won't see anything for another 15-20 years anyway.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:04 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
There is a lot of buzz on talk radio about the new toll road in south Alabama. We would have had improvements to I565 much sooner if it was proposed making it a toll road. Of course there would be a lot of unhappy people if that was ever brought up.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:20 PM

162 posts, read 180,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
There is a lot of buzz on talk radio about the new toll road in south Alabama. We would have had improvements to I565 much sooner if it was proposed making it a toll road. Of course there would be a lot of unhappy people if that was ever brought up.
This is something most growing cities of the future will have to look at. I've lived in Orlando and there's toll roads around there that make your commute easier when you want to use them. You can choose when you want to use them though. I look at Nashville's situation and believe that would help their situation....They need to be alternate roads though. The DOT doesn't need to just suddenly decide to designate sections of the interstate system as tolled. They are talking about charging $6 one way for that bridge down in Mobile. If it was $2 maybe, but even then I just cannot get over the feeling somebody (and probably more than a few) are trying to get rich from the situation. There's corruption in this state. Those who have lived in this state for a little while know we can't trust what we hear as the complete truth.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:40 PM

653 posts, read 590,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
This is something most growing cities of the future will have to look at. I've lived in Orlando and there's toll roads around there that make your commute easier when you want to use them. You can choose when you want to use them though. I look at Nashville's situation and believe that would help their situation....They need to be alternate roads though. The DOT doesn't need to just suddenly decide to designate sections of the interstate system as tolled. They are talking about charging $6 one way for that bridge down in Mobile. If it was $2 maybe, but even then I just cannot get over the feeling somebody (and probably more than a few) are trying to get rich from the situation. There's corruption in this state. Those who have lived in this state for a little while know we can't trust what we hear as the complete truth.
Which state can you live in and trust what you hear?

I wonder how much money could be generated from those traveling I-565/Alt-72 over a ten year period versus the cost to expand the same segment to 6 to 8 lanes? Perhaps a Toll-by-Plate system.

Even after I-95 was completed, I still used the Fla. Turnpike when it was 'more convenient'.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,594,346 times
As Huntsville grows just adding more lanes to I565 may grow counterproductive.

I think Huntsville missed another opportunity years ago. They should have been forward thinking and planned for the Northern Bypass to someday extend all the way west to I65. At some point it could have turned into a limited access road like I565. That would have taken a burden off not only University Drive but also I565.

This just show that Huntsville has depended too long on too few major roads.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
You might be talking about the bridge in mobile at that cost. The replacement bridge in birmingham is $470M
From what I've read, the $470M is just the 20/59 part, the section they're doing now. It doesn't include the I-65 that was just completed, nor does it include the I-22 interchange that is new. I could, of course, be wrong, but that's what I gleaned from the al.com articles. The early completion incentives to the contractor alone are more than the 565 expansion that's to be started next year.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Even if $470M is the real cost, is Birmingham/JeffCo having to chip in $235M as their share? I seriously doubt it. I was equating funding methodology, not hard numbers in that particular post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area