Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

609 posts, read 530,510 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone in the Madison area that you would recommend to help us choose exterior paint colors? We are ready to paint, but we are both terrible at visualizing what different colors will look like. Ideally it would be someone with one of those computer programs like you see on the home improvement shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Just keep it simple - Green and Yellow

Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
Many of the paint suppliers like Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have those online where you can upload a pic, or use one of their generic exterior pics to play with color selections.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Many of the paint suppliers like Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have those online where you can upload a pic, or use one of their generic exterior pics to play with color selections.
I have the Sherwin Williams app. I'm sure it is user error but I have trouble using it. I'd still like a professional opinion if anyone knows someone.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Just keep it simple - Green and Yellow

Hard to go wrong with Alabama red & grey, but Lowes sells camouflage panels if you want to fade into the kudzu.

Drive around and take pics of homes with colors you like. Select three, then take those and a pic of your house to someone you trust. If you don't have input and don't like the end result, it will grate on you worse than if you made the error on your own.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 AM

Part of the issue is that we have an uncommon color brick. It is sort of in the orange spectrum and the roof shingles were selected to kind of match that. I haven't really seen anything when driving around that strikes me.

I guess no one has any suggestions for someone to advise on this?

Would it be an "interior" decorator even though this is exterior paint?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I took a course in color theory taught by one of the leaders of the Bauhaus movement back in college about fifty years ago, and learned to not suggest too much.

THe basics are much like music, with diads, triads, fifths, and a type of chord structure. Start with this:

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

In general, go for muted colors or pastels unless you want to have your place look garish. Buy a pint of each of the colors you plan on using (splurge here and get a few variations as well) and paint a primed panel and some dimension lumber and then allow them to dry and rest them up against the house. Look at the colors and relationships through a week or more, - a sunny day, a dreary day, a sunset and sunrise.

The color of a paint is only part of the equation. The spectrum itself can change slightly as the atmosphere plays tricks. Street lights can do strange color-shifts. By doing a real-world test, you are more likely to discover problems before investing in the whole job. By having the slight variations, you can hone in on what you think looks best.

One other possibility. People do not see color the same way. In addition to red-green color blindness, there are all sorts of variations in perception. You can ferret out online tests to see if your color vision is within the common range. If it isn't, you need to depend more on the basic color rules and the impressions of others.

Yes, an interior designer (ask for credentials and to see their portfolio) can help. Do NOT take their word as Gospel though. It is your place.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Part of the issue is that we have an uncommon color brick. It is sort of in the orange spectrum and the roof shingles were selected to kind of match that. I haven't really seen anything when driving around that strikes me.

I guess no one has any suggestions for someone to advise on this?

Would it be an "interior" decorator even though this is exterior paint?
There is a lady (her name escapes me) that works at Madison Paint and Decorating on Hughes Rd that has helped me pick several paint colors. I think she might be their "interior designer" because I've seen her helping people do color selections many times when I am in there. I think HSV Decorator Center on Regal has someone there as well.

Or you could hire one of the many interior decorators in town...yes, they can give you advice on exterior colors as well but they will charge for this service....for the exterior that might be money well spent.

Or you could try to identify your brick color and search Pinterest for some ideas.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
There is a lady (her name escapes me) that works at Madison Paint and Decorating on Hughes Rd that has helped me pick several paint colors. I think she might be their "interior designer" because I've seen her helping people do color selections many times when I am in there. I think HSV Decorator Center on Regal has someone there as well.

Or you could hire one of the many interior decorators in town...yes, they can give you advice on exterior colors as well but they will charge for this service....for the exterior that might be money well spent.

Or you could try to identify your brick color and search Pinterest for some ideas.
Thank you and yes I expected to pay for the advice. Not too much though I hope. We did an addition many years ago and as a result I have a pile of the brick so I could take a sample with me to a paint store.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:25 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
Unless he's retired, Sammy Stone at Gobble-Fite Lumber in Decatur. They sell the excellent Martin-Senour paints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: