Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I moved in 31 years ago. I think I have paid my share, plus I don’t have children so I have not contributed to the school crowding problem.

Sullivan County Tennessee is building a new high school for $60 million for a comparable enrollment as the proposed school in this proposal. When our school system comes to us for the 3rd tax increase since it was formed, they should be using our money carefully.

The special election is an attempt to stack the deck in favor of passage. Turnout will be low, but school parents will vote yes.
How have they (Madison City Schools) not used the money carefully?
They did not build new schools that are sitting empty.
They did not build new schools with mega stadiums.
From what I can tell, they are not paying the teachers exorbitant salaries.
From what I can tell and from my experience they don't appear to be overly staffed with non-educators; at least in the schools themselves.

How do you hold a school system responsible for asking for more money when they do not have the ability to control the growth themselves? Their mission is to educate the population within their district.

As noted earlier, I think your school impact fee has merit and value. I think you are misguided on the accused or implied waste side of your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 PM

226 posts, read 388,419 times
Y'all hear me out on this one. Question: where are potential landing sites for the new schools when the tax increase is approved? I looked at all property under the ownership of City of Madison Board of Education. Most all of it has a school on top of it...or a stadium...or parcels that are adjacent to property with some kind of current purpose.

Except for one. It's a large swath of vacant land at the NE Corner of Wall Triana and Coefer Blvd. This is next to the Kroger on Wall Triana/Browns Ferry. Could this land be home to a future Middle School? I think it makes sense. I think the Limestone County side needs an Elementary School, and this could be the site of a 3rd middle school. I may be completely wrong...OR...I could be right

Old 11-23-2018, 11:11 PM

483 posts, read 630,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMike View Post
Y'all hear me out on this one. Question: where are potential landing sites for the new schools when the tax increase is approved? I looked at all property under the ownership of City of Madison Board of Education. Most all of it has a school on top of it...or a stadium...or parcels that are adjacent to property with some kind of current purpose.

Except for one. It's a large swath of vacant land at the NE Corner of Wall Triana and Coefer Blvd. This is next to the Kroger on Wall Triana/Browns Ferry. Could this land be home to a future Middle School? I think it makes sense. I think the Limestone County side needs an Elementary School, and this could be the site of a 3rd middle school. I may be completely wrong...OR...I could be right
How big is that property? It would need to be several acres for a middle school as it would also need ball fields. I think the BOE would be more likely to swap that "prime" land for a larger piece of property.

And personally I would prefer they stay out of Limestone County because even though the snafu is "resolved" it would be so much better if the school was within the Madison County portion of Madison. Problem is there's not much land for that. It would be ideal to have one of the portions that is in the Madison County part of Madison that hasn't annexed in yet. There are a couple of large parcels on Balch and on Gillespie that would be ideal. If those land owners would swap for the property mentioned above and then those folks would have prime real estate to sell to a retail developer. Lots of things have to fall into place for that to happen though.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM

I see that Bob Jones High School baseball is getting a new turf infield. I have unconfirmed reports on where the money is coming from for the project. Not sure if its the same source or sources that allowed the baseball team to update/upgrade their indoor hitting facility.

James Clemens baseball & softball are still holding their breathe for the planned indoor hitting facility.

I wonder if Superintendent (former principle and coach at Bob Jones) Robby Parker's favorite quote from high school literature is:

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", Animal Farm

Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
I don't care for turf infields myself, but indoor stadiums have them so they work. And they are a lot less maintenance than real grass, so in time should pay for themselves.

I don't have a problem with increased property taxes for our schools. I live in Madison, and my son went to school in Huntsville at Randolph for 13 years. But the better the public school system, the better the city. We cannot afford to let our schools get overcrowded or deteriorate.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don't care for turf infields myself, but indoor stadiums have them so they work. And they are a lot less maintenance than real grass, so in time should pay for themselves.

I don't have a problem with increased property taxes for our schools. I live in Madison, and my son went to school in Huntsville at Randolph for 13 years. But the better the public school system, the better the city. We cannot afford to let our schools get overcrowded or deteriorate.
Totally agree. It won't surprise me if the football stadium is upgraded to turf soon.

People only see the cost right now, and not the return on investment over many years...

Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Explain please; isn’t turf another word for grass?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:21 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
The word turf is also used to mean artificial turf.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
It certainly is, but most people when they are talking about athletic fields these days use "turf" to mean artificial grass. It really should be "artificial turf".

Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 PM

The point I was trying to make is that all not all things are equal in Madison's treatment of high school facilities with respect to the baseball/softball programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area