Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:18 PM

640 posts, read 696,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsv256 View Post
Now, what Huntsville really needs is a legitimate space tourist center. The S&RC's best days were in the 80s.

Do you realize that the S&RC has more paid admissions than the aquarium in Chattanooga?

The Botanical Garden and Earlyworks are also in the Alabama top 10.

U.S. Space & Rocket Center was Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:30 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Do you realize that the S&RC has more paid admissions than the aquarium in Chattanooga?

to be fair, Alabama in general isn't exactly bursting with tourist attractions.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
I wouldn't have thought Huntsville could sustain a Brazilian-style steakhouse, but apparently it does. Cheesecake Factory has a much more varied menu, so no reason the area couldn't also support it.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:05 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post

Surprise surprise, people constantly underestimate or downplay what is happening in the Huntsville area.

Madison County (Huntsville) had more than 85,000 more tourists visit from 2016 for 3.1 million guests. Those visitors spent $1.3 billion in the county - a 9.8 percent gain from 2016.(Alabama State Tourism Bureau)

Hamilton County (Chattanooga) hit $1.1 billion in direct visitor spending — a 4.6 percent increase over 2016 — putting it behind only Davidson County with $6.5 billion, Shelby County with $3.5 billion and Sevier County with $2 billion. Knox County also had about $1.1 billion in tourism spending. (source Chattanooga Visitors Bureau.)

Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
demographics of these communities is FAR different, especially visitor / eating out stats.

I would expect a TCF could survive in Huntsville (As one does in Palm Desert, 48k pop.)

I have never been (looked at the menu ONCE... took a pass... steep prices and limited offerings). And a huge waiting LINE.

Krispy Kreme, never tried it...
Ive been to the one in Birmingham a few times and I agree with everyone that doesn't get the attraction. Very average food, but I can't agree with your "limited offerings" comment. If I'm remembering correctly the menu was like reading a novel.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Cheesecake has a very very extensive training program
So in general they keep their restaurants at a high level
to stay on top of their huge menu

Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
I want to say that some of the bookstore coffee shops sell Cheesecake Factory desserts... the one at Bridge Street? Or maybe I'm thinking of something here in the Birmingham area (I commute to Decatur and Huntsville for work, so I get confused).

I've been to the Birmingham Cheesecake Factory one time. I agree with the others. The food is just meh, whatever typical chain stuff, served in enormous portions (who needs that before a 20,000 calorie slice of cheesecake). The cheesecakes are interesting to choose from, but I'm honestly not a huge cheesecake fan.

Yeah, I would have assumed the Cheesecake Factory located in Chattanooga before Huntsville because of the tourist industry and chains placing themselves in high traffic areas where people are looking for brands they recognize. I don't really get the "let's eat at a place we recognize" mentality anymore when it's so easy to search for local restaurants with great reviews no matter where you travel.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I want to say that some of the bookstore coffee shops sell Cheesecake Factory desserts... the one at Bridge Street? Or maybe I'm thinking of something here in the Birmingham area (I commute to Decatur and Huntsville for work, so I get confused).

I've been to the Birmingham Cheesecake Factory one time. I agree with the others. The food is just meh, whatever typical chain stuff, served in enormous portions (who needs that before a 20,000 calorie slice of cheesecake). The cheesecakes are interesting to choose from, but I'm honestly not a huge cheesecake fan.

Yeah, I would have assumed the Cheesecake Factory located in Chattanooga before Huntsville because of the tourist industry and chains placing themselves in high traffic areas where people are looking for brands they recognize. I don't really get the "let's eat at a place we recognize" mentality anymore when it's so easy to search for local restaurants with great reviews no matter where you travel.
Barnes & noble does. But if you look at the product it is definitely different than what you get at Cheesecake factory. I'm not sure of the quality though as I've never bought one at B&N. But it looks inferior from the looks to the size of it.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 PM

126 posts, read 117,105 times
Would take a local meat-n-three place over CKF every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Been to Cheesecake Factory in Birmingham...not impressed, have not gone back. However, they do have huge crowds and usually long lines waiting for tables.
Went to one in Orlando....REALLY good, would happily and eagerly go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area