Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM

339 posts, read 1,166,524 times

Advertisements

As I set my house up in Huntsville I have a few questions -

Will I need a pest service? In Florida it was never an option not to have a "bug guy" I have my Florida home and yard treated montly to keep Fleas, Spiders, Palmetto bugs and roaches out of the house. Fire ants are a big problem in Florida - is there an issue in Norther Alabama?

My new house has central air and heat - is lack of humidity ever a problem in the colder winter months? Up where it is very cold - (Montana) my skin got brutally dry in the winter.

I am getting Knology for Phone, Cable and Internet - what if any problems can I anticipate from there service?

Garbage Service - What do I do when I have more trash than will fit in the can provided? Is there an extra charge for extra bags?

I understand to register my kids for School they need Blue Cards. Please recommend a walk in clinic that I can take my girls and there shot records to to get official Blue Cards.

Where do I get dog licenses from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
What jurisdiction are you in? I doubt I can help since I am in Morgan County, but other folks will need to know.

As for bugs, yes we have fire ants. And lots of other bugs. I don't have a bug guy, just a termite guy. In my area, they mostly stay outside. Ants I usually kill with a homemade mix of boric acid, sugar and water; let the water dry out and you have a deadly bait sugar ants can't resist but isn't dangerous to handle or use inside the house.

The winter dryness doesn't seem bad to me, but if you have electric heat (instead of gas) it will be more drying.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I didn't think you were in 'Huntsville', aren't you in Sparkman school zone?

Pest control - I get the annual termite inspection (I'd welcome comments - is it a necessary use of $100 or is it a scam?). Me: no pets and keep clean house = don't have bug pests. I keep a can of wasp spray around and some fire ant killer, plus use milky spore for Japanese beetles. Note that we have good growing conditions for fleas (mild weather and lots of rain).

It can get dry in Winter, but I thought moisturizer was a normal part of a girl's life

One of my sisters has Knology - no problems...

Garbage, trash, and recycling - if you're in the city, they'll pick up however much garbage / trash (prefer containers / bags) you put out, as long as you don't make a habit of it, else they'll let you know.

City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** (http://www.ci.huntsville.al.us/PWO/ - broken link)

Solid Waste Disposal Authority Frequently Asked Questions

Blue cards - can't help.

Dog licenses:

Quote:
Obtain your licenses at the Huntsville Animal Services Shelter at 4950 Triana Blvd. [from Drake Ave, south on Triana].

You will need to show proof of current rabies vaccination (a copy of the certificate the vet gave you will be adequate). If your pet has been altered, proof of that is required to get the reduced fee (either notated on the rabies certificate by the vet, a spay/neuter verification form, or a note from your vet).
License Information

Last edited by Reactionary; 12-11-2007 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: add words

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Gotta disagree with Nicole...we've had gas heat for years and after 2 or 3 weeks of extremely cold weather, I have to come up with ways of putting humidity back in the air inside the house. You know it's too dry when the furniture starts to fall apart! A lot of people have monthly bug service...a lot don't. You might want to wait and see how much of a problem it is for your house. Also, ask around about services, and get different prices. There can be a big range. Fire ants...can be a problem, but they (usually) stay in the yard. You might have to buy some fire ant poison if you find a mound. Get to know your local Farmer's Co-op. They are usually very helpful in pinpointing the right chemical to use, and have other ideas for non-chemical use.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,094 times
Dry compared to So Cal? Not a chance

Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Since you are coming from my old area, I will add a few things. I have had very few problems with bugs other than sugar ants occassionally. I have dogs and cats who are inside/outside and the only time I have had problems with fleas is during the 3 months of summer.
You do have to get your animals rabies shots every year here. I just took mine to the vet and got their licenses.
Can't help you with the walk-in clinics since I live in Marshall county.

Regarding termites. There are only subterrain termites here unlike FL where they have both types. Not sure what type of termite protection you have Rectionary, but if you have had your house treated for termites already, you might want to check the contract you have now, to see if after 7 years it will still be in effect. The reason I ask this is in FL they would not renew the contract after 7 years because it takes that long before the termites will come back after treatment. If you have sentricon (?) the only thing in those is a piece of wood. If they find termites when they check it, they put in a treated piece of wood to kill the termites.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,524 times
Our new house is in Monrovia - Huntsville was just a generalization. I keep the house in Florida very clean but without a bug guy we get spiders and other creepies in the house. When we have a bug guy come out - the bugs die on the way to the house instead of comming in. Recently we've switched from monthly bug treatments to having all of the interior wall spaces treated. It seems to work fairly well but we still see the odd bug. I tried for years to get the fire ants under control on my acre lot in Florida but failed. Treating the entire property has killed the ants and sent the moles packing too.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
leavin_florida - don't know about Madison County garbage policy.

Keeper - I get Cook's annual termite inspection, I guess they did / do a treatment sometime. It's one of those things - I've been using them forever, but dropped the pest control part years ago...

Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM

47 posts, read 205,151 times
Have been living in Madison for three years. I have very little problem with bugs. An occasional spider but nothing else. Would recommend calling as needed. Haven't seen one roach or palmetto bug since I have been here. Been so dry here lately, that may have reduced the incidents of bug investations but don't expect to see any major problems. I had a dog the first two years here and never saw a flea. That being said, it was a new house with a new lawn which could have helped the situation.

You should have a termite contract on your house. It may save you some money in the long-run if nothing else but to get a termite letter if you desire to sell your house in the near future. Treatment for termites can be costly as anyone in the south should know.

I have knology for cable and internet. Have had only an occasional problem and it was promptly taken care of by them.

I have a hybrid electric/gas central heating system and humidity is really not a problem. Winters are short and you can alway get a humidifier if you feel it is too dry.

Can't speak to the Madison County Garbage situation, but Madison City picks up twice a week for routine garbage, once a week for recyclables and once a week for bulk. I find it more than meets my needs.

As for children and school, sorry but I am out of that business.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Phoenix is a walk-in clinic just before you go over the mountain on 4-Mile-Post and Bailey Cove. I don't know if you're that far south. There's another new walk-in clinic set up by a doctor near Hampton Cove. I was in and out in a jiff when I had a sinus infection. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.. he's set up behind the Publix there.

I got my daughter's blue card from a regular pediatrician, but it took a lot of talking-to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area