Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 08:12 AM

656 posts, read 595,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I too am thankful for the schools since we moved here in October.

Our 8 year old moved from a private school to a Madison County 3rd grade school, and both are comparable in curriculum.

Local schools benefit from having so many children with engineers and rocket scientist genes.
They benefit from parents who care, are driven to achieve high goals, and are involved in the school system. Those just happen to be characteristics of many of our engineering and scientific community. We pass those characteristics onto the kids.

I would also add our agricultural community too. I work with two guys presently whose family and younger years were ag-based and they will out work damn near everybody. First to arrive and one of the last to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 AM

656 posts, read 595,160 times
With respect to schools. Our kids have only gone to Madison City schools. We have been very happy with the quality of the facilities, the teachers, and the opportunities presented. My son felt like he was well prepared going into college and taking all of his non-major classes and the earlier in-major classes. Hit that forth week of an Engineering weed out class; Katie bar the door, it's 'fix'n' to get rough!

Old 04-23-2020, 11:25 PM

483 posts, read 632,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehsv View Post
As someone with children also looking to move to Huntsville soon, does this comment always immediately mean Madison? Or are there other highly regarded schools in Huntsville proper? Also, for those of us with young children, a good/great HS today could change drastically in 8-10 years, no? I like SE Huntsville a lot, but everyone is always pushing the Madison schools. I'm genuinely curious (and somewhat conflicted)!
No, not at all. The very best school system in the area is Randolph. Hands down.

https://www.randolphschool.net/

This would be a perfect school system K-12, if you live in SE Huntsville. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:37 AM

50 posts, read 51,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmom2000 View Post
No, not at all. The very best school system in the area is Randolph. Hands down.

This would be a perfect school system K-12, if you live in SE Huntsville. I highly recommend it.
Ok, while probably true, it's also a $20,000/year private school.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:19 AM

13,072 posts, read 9,592,734 times
Quote:

You don't have to live in SE Huntsville for Randolph. We used to live south of Weatherly, and our son went to Randolph. Then we moved to Madison, to the Edgewater area. Getting to Randolph from our new house was about the same as from our old location, because of traffic on the south Parkway and Whitesburg Drive. It may be different now since Madison has grown so rapidly.

I agree - it's by far and away the best school in the area, and one of the top few in the entire state. It's expensive, but you can easily get repaid with college scholarships.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You don't have to live in SE Huntsville for Randolph. We used to live south of Weatherly, and our son went to Randolph. Then we moved to Madison, to the Edgewater area. Getting to Randolph from our new house was about the same as from our old location, because of traffic on the south Parkway and Whitesburg Drive. It may be different now since Madison has grown so rapidly.

I agree - it's by far and away the best school in the area, and one of the top few in the entire state. It's expensive, but you can easily get repaid with college scholarships.
No, of course you don't have to live in SE Huntsville to attend Randolph. The OP said they were looking at that area specifically so that's why I mentioned it would be convenient since transportation was also a concern. You can live anywhere and attend a private school such as Randolph. I thought that was apparent?

Old 04-24-2020, 03:28 PM

13,072 posts, read 9,592,734 times
Quote:
No, of course you don't have to live in SE Huntsville to attend Randolph. The OP said they were looking at that area specifically so that's why I mentioned it would be convenient since transportation was also a concern. You can live anywhere and attend a private school such as Randolph. I thought that was apparent?
You missed the point I was making. The point was you can easily live in some parts of Madison and get to Randolph just as readily as if you lived in some parts of SE Huntsville.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You missed the point I was making. The point was you can easily live in some parts of Madison and get to Randolph just as readily as if you lived in some parts of SE Huntsville.
Right. Doesn't Randolph have transportation service at the Publix on Madison Blvd.? They had morning drop off and afternoon pickup there for many years.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I would also add our agricultural community too. I work with two guys presently whose family and younger years were ag-based and they will out work damn near everybody. First to arrive and one of the last to leave.
Remember the redneck rocket scientists?
The daddy is a local farmboy who hired on at NASA soon after the place opened and the Germans arrived. Those ol' boys were smart and resourceful. They didn't have a college engineering degree, but as a hard-scrabble farmer, they had to fix and sometimes build their own equipment with what they had. I had a friend whose dad didn't finish high school but helped build and troubleshoot the moon rover.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:02 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,526,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Remember the redneck rocket scientists?
The daddy is a local farmboy who hired on at NASA soon after the place opened and the Germans arrived. Those ol' boys were smart and resourceful. They didn't have a college engineering degree, but as a hard-scrabble farmer, they had to fix and sometimes build their own equipment with what they had. I had a friend whose dad didn't finish high school but helped build and troubleshoot the moon rover.
Farmers have always been some of the smartest and most resourceful people in the work force. Give them a problem and they'll always find a better and easier way to solve it.

With GPS steering in tractors and even tractors without operators, life is changing in this world. I know two farmers that used to have 2,000 people living on their farms. Now, they do the work with 12-15 workers. And all the others have since moved to Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area