Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 01:00 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,597,530 times

Advertisements

The following business types will be allowed to open on Monday with some restrictions:
restaurants, bars, barber shops, hair salons, gyms, fitness centers, etc.

What Alabama’s updated ‘safer at home’ plan means for you
Posted May 09, 8:00 AM
https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/what...s-for-you.html

Recommendations for Hair, grooming services
https://alabamapublichealth.gov/covi...se-contact.pdf

Alabama restaurants, bars can resume on-premise consumption: Here are the guidelines
Updated May 09, 11:49 AM; Posted May 09, 6:00 AM
https://www.al.com/coronavirus/2020/...uidelines.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
I've got a haircut appointment Wednesday. But I don't think I'll be going to the gym for a while, and probably won't be sitting in a restaurant any time soon.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've got a haircut appointment Wednesday. But I don't think I'll be going to the gym for a while, and probably won't be sitting in a restaurant any time soon.
Here are some gotchas:

The barber I go to is walk-in only. I don't know how they are going to handle this. Since they are closed on Monday I will drive by on Tuesday to see if I can find out anything.

Some restaurants like Golden Coral won't be able to open because buffets and salad bars are not allowed.

A lot of restaurants have self-service for soft drinks. These can't be used so all drinks have to be given out from behind the counter. I wonder if that is true for everything self service like napkins and condiments. Are those going to be kept behind the counter also?

Restaurants with small dining areas are going to find it difficult if not impossible to maintain a minimum 6-foot spacing.

I have read that the average break-even point for restaurants is about 45%. A lot of restaurants may find it hard to make money if they are limited to 50% capacity. The only way around this is to try to encourage customers to make their stay as short as possible. In theory this should increase sales. Of course if customers feel rushed they may not want to come back.

Restaurants with outside seating will need to encourage its use. That will increase the number of customers it can serve at one time.

Chick-fil-A seems to have always had good drive through business. They are probably doing better than some others right now. I wonder if they rushed to open the new location on Governors Drive to take advantage of this. I see that it opened last Thursday May 7.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 05-10-2020 at 09:56 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 06:09 AM

143 posts, read 155,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Here are some gotchas:
I have read that the average break-even point for restaurants is about 45%. A lot of restaurants may find it hard to make money if they are limited to 50% capacity. The only way around this is to try to encourage customers to make their stay as short as possible. In theory this should increase sales. Of course if customers feel rushed they may not want to come back.

Many restaurants make their profits on alcohol sales and keeping customers around for the second drink may be problematic.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 AM

143 posts, read 155,666 times
I built a gym of sorts in my garage and workout to videos so I will be cancelling my gym membership.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:50 AM

396 posts, read 665,930 times
Restaurants can improve sales if they can get patrons to eat mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Many times the restaurants are empty at these times. Staggering hours would certainly be beneficial to commuters.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:40 AM

218 posts, read 278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Restaurants with small dining areas are going to find it difficult if not impossible to maintain a minimum 6-foot spacing.
6' isn't enough for dining indoors. I won't be dining in anytime soon.

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Quote:
Is it 50% seating capacity or 50% fire marshal capacity? If it's the latter they'll be able to go well over 50% seating capacity since today capacity includes a maxed out kitchen, maxed out servers, and full waiting area.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
6' isn't enough for dining indoors. I won't be dining in anytime soon.

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Is it 50% seating capacity or 50% fire marshal capacity? If it's the latter they'll be able to go well over 50% seating capacity since today capacity includes a maxed out kitchen, maxed out servers, and full waiting area.
People have been really psyched out about COVID-19. The death rate is under 1% for those infected and probably much lower for people under age 50.

As far as 50% goes I doubt it will make any difference exactly how it is defined as long as social distancing is maintained. I really doubt anyone will be going around counting restaurant patrons or measuring the distance between them unless some busybody calls in a complaint.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:37 AM

169 posts, read 206,558 times
BASE jumping is generally acknowledged as the most dangerous sport. One study puts its fatality rate at 0.04% per jump:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17495709

So if we take a COVID-19 death rate of "less than 1%" to be 0.4%, that would be like taking about ten BASE jumps.

Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse about the odds.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 AM

656 posts, read 593,474 times
The license tag office in Madison was open.
Require 6' distance while standing in line and sitting in the waiting room. Waiting room chairs that are not allowed to be sat in are marked as such. Hand sanitizer is sprayed in your hands when you enter the building. When called upon, you enter one side of the line of processors and exit the opposite end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area