Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 12:46 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,595,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Then put your critical thinking skills to work on this one salient fact: Elsewhere in the developed world, new cases have plunged to no more than a trickle. As in the daily average of new cases in the entirety of the developed world now is less than half the average number of new daily cases in the state of Florida. All this is because of a combination of measures that we are not implementing here. There's a difference between being having an education in one area and assuming education in another.

In other words, everything you've written--especially the baloney that "Everybody is going to get it"--is nothing more than lazy palaver.
Probably the biggest difference between he United States and other western countries are their governments. I bet the other countries' governments simply mandated mask wearing and things like that. The United States because of its Constitution does not allow the federal government to do this. Mandates regarding COVID-19 have to come from state and local governments. In many ways that is better than the one size fits all mandates from the federal governments.

BTW, the Constitution was originally set up for a small federal government with the most power given to the states or its people. Over the last two hundred years that balance has shifted greatly toward the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 03:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Probably the biggest difference between he United States and other western countries are their governments. I bet the other countries' governments simply mandated mask wearing and things like that. The United States because of its Constitution does not allow the federal government to do this. Mandates regarding COVID-19 have to come from state and local governments. In many ways that is better than the one size fits all mandates from the federal governments.

BTW, the Constitution was originally set up for a small federal government with the most power given to the states or its people. Over the last two hundred years that balance has shifted greatly toward the federal government.

Well, there is the Public Health Service Act of 1944 which certainly provides sweeping Federal authority to circumvent any disease entering the country. However, to your other point, local and state authorities have routinely assumed very broad powers in that regard, powers that have been upheld at the Federal level.

But none of that matters, given the point the poster in question is trying to make. He has a very strange understanding of what his rights are when it comes to wearing a mask versus mandates by local authorities. He also has a very tenuous grasp of our individual responsibilities to prevent spread, playing amateur epidemiologist instead.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
People in this thread calling others "stupid" really need to stop and do a little critical thinking. I can assure you I am far from stupid and quite well educated. I am however a realist. I don't look for someone to blame everything on and I don't sit for hours sipping the media koolaid.

Ok.. so.. you quoted me.. and AGAIN... the only one I called stupid was the guy who HAS covid and is not staying quarantined but going visiting people (neighbors) and still going to the store and social places and spreading it to probably about everyone he comes in contact with.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Ok.. so.. you quoted me.. and AGAIN... the only one I called stupid was the guy who HAS covid and is not staying quarantined but going visiting people (neighbors) and still going to the store and social places and spreading it to probably about everyone he comes in contact with.
Are you just making a general statement or do you know this for sure? If so it is not just stupid but criminal. Just report them and let the authorities handle it.

Quote:
“Violation of the home quarantine is a misdemeanor and fines for each violation can be up to $500,” the health agency said in a statement. Suspected violations should be reported to law enforcement and the county health department, the agency added.
Coronavirus quarantine violation can lead to $500 fine, ADPH says
https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/coro...adph-says.html

Old 07-08-2020, 01:11 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Well, looks like we finally got the countywide masking rule. Now they need to enforce it.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Well, looks like we finally got the countywide masking rule. Now they need to enforce it.
Quote:
Huntsville police spokesman Lt. Michael Johnson said not wearing a covering will be punishable by a ticket with a fine up to $500. “We’re taking the stance of education instead of enforcement right now,” Johnson said. Landers said today it “will be up to law enforcement” to enforce the order.
Big box store stroll suggests Madison County mask order may just work
https://www.al.com/business/2020/07/...just-work.html

Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,131,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Are you just making a general statement or do you know this for sure? If so it is not just stupid but criminal. Just report them and let the authorities handle it.

Yes.. I knew it for sure. I said as much. It wasn't here, it was elsewhere and I believe he has been reported but the point was of how many he infected in the meantime because he was asymptomatic and didn't care. I was told that he somehow still had some sort of idea that the way it was spreading all over was a hoax, even tho he had it (as did 2 other members of his household who did have mild symptoms).

Old 07-09-2020, 02:14 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Yes.. I knew it for sure. I said as much. It wasn't here, it was elsewhere and I believe he has been reported but the point was of how many he infected in the meantime because he was asymptomatic and didn't care. I was told that he somehow still had some sort of idea that the way it was spreading all over was a hoax, even tho he had it (as did 2 other members of his household who did have mild symptoms).
Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think the whole thing is a hoax. I don't think it so much locally because the educational level here is a lot higher than most other places, but in some places people have a really cavalier attitude about it. A good example is the guy in the video from a Costco in Florida yesterday, yelling at an elderly woman about him not wearing a mask. The jerk got what he deserved.

I went to Publix, Costco, and Barnes & Noble today and did not see a single person not wearing a mask. The new ordinance/law is working. Hopefully it'll get the disease back in control locally.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:14 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
For the "Masks don't work" halfwits, the latest research from the medical journal, Lancet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...142-9/fulltext

Old 07-10-2020, 10:19 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
Quote:

I did quote you and I discussed your post in my first paragraph. In the second paragraph I clearly stated people in this thread calling people stupid, I was not referring to you. Sorry for the confusion, I should have made that more clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area