Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,165,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
Interesting someone spoke of stupid people unwilling to wear a mask. Share something my dad said a long time ago.
You can educate the dumbest people.
You can provide support and help special needs folks.
But you cannot fix stupid.
The sad thing is that stupid people don’t know they are stupid.
So don’t waste your time with them.

I am sure dad would have placed the avid no maskers on here in the stupid group.

Actually, that was me. And I didn't say stupid people don't wear masks. The stupid one is the guy who HAS covid and is asymptomatic and is still running all over the place and not wearing a mask or anything. But the stupid part is he's not staying quarantined. I figure he's not alone.

Honestly, I'm on the fence about the mask thing.

On one hand, we need to flatline this thing. On the other hand...it's out there and I don't think it's going away anymore than the common cold or any other flu is and at some point we'll all be in contact with it and see how our body reacts.

I've lost family members to Covid so it does put a different slant on it but honestly, at the moment, I'm more concerned with other crap going on out there right now. That is more worrisome to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:11 AM

283 posts, read 410,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Mask violates person freedom of choice. Also some people have medical condition that prevents them from being able to wear a mask
I would like you to tell us what medical condition that causes a person not to be able to wear a mask. I have COPD, MS, and CIDP and I get lung infections often. I have 5 different doctors one is a pulmonologist and we have had serious talks about Covit-19 and Mask wearing. There is no Medical reason NOT to wear one. The only excuse is anxiety and laziness. A person who doesn't want to mask does so because they are ignorant to science or they think they know it all. What people don't get it that being able to have it and not have any symptoms and passing it on to others and those people die from it. Covit-19 is no joke. My 46 yr old male cousin died from it and he was perfectly healthy, he believed the ignorance of trump and anti-science and didn't protect himself and those around himself and died very quickly.
People who decide to go maskless deserve no respect and in my eyes should stay home and be criticized and demined by law with tickets and blamed for the spread of the disease. History has shown us how to fix this and if we do not deal with this now we will continue to see people die. Until middle-class/rich whites start dropping like flies no one will do anything about this disease that counts. For me, Covit-19 would be a death sentence and I have to be cautious and stay healthy. I have had cancer and beat it and today is my birthday and I want to see another one. I do what is right for myself and others so do not lie and say there is a medical condition keeping you from wearing mask because I made dam sure to ask my doctors and they all said NO there is not unless you have a mental condition. People with Asthma wear mask all the time. I do and I can breathe. WEAR THE MASK.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:18 AM

10,522 posts, read 7,131,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
I would like you to tell us what medical condition that causes a person not to be able to wear a mask. I have COPD, MS, and CIDP and I get lung infections often. I have 5 different doctors one is a pulmonologist and we have had serious talks about Covit-19 and Mask wearing. There is no Medical reason NOT to wear one. The only excuse is anxiety and laziness. A person who doesn't want to mask does so because they are ignorant to science or they think they know it all. What people don't get it that being able to have it and not have any symptoms and passing it on to others and those people die from it. Covit-19 is no joke. My 46 yr old male cousin died from it and he was perfectly healthy, he believed the ignorance of trump and anti-science and didn't protect himself and those around himself and died very quickly.
People who decide to go maskless deserve no respect and in my eyes should stay home and be criticized and demined by law with tickets and blamed for the spread of the disease. History has shown us how to fix this and if we do not deal with this now we will continue to see people die. Until middle-class/rich whites start dropping like flies no one will do anything about this disease that counts. For me, Covit-19 would be a death sentence and I have to be cautious and stay healthy. I have had cancer and beat it and today is my birthday and I want to see another one. I do what is right for myself and others so do not lie and say there is a medical condition keeping you from wearing mask because I made dam sure to ask my doctors and they all said NO there is not unless you have a mental condition. People with Asthma wear mask all the time. I do and I can breathe. WEAR THE MASK.

You omitted arrogance, self-centeredness, narcissism, and abject stupidity.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:32 AM

3,469 posts, read 4,874,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Probably lots of smoke with no fire. I am betting no one actually enforces it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I wouldn't want to enter a business without a mask after it goes into effect tomorrow. If you do they might ask you to leave or they will threaten to call the police. That probably won't be necessary because if you are spotted by other customers they will probably yell at you and chase you out of the business.

I was on vacation the past week and was in a couple of cities that already had mandatory mask orders. My observations were more people did in fact wear them but a significant did not. It is not enforced other than businesses making people put them on before they enter and then the customers walk inside and proceed to remove them. The police were primarily busy with answering disturbance calls where arguments broke out between people. They don't have the time nor resources to be the mask enforcers.

There were the typical busy body yelling at someone about not wearing a mask and then the argument breaking out In a few cases an ass whipping or two were handed out. Some were quite comical...some not so much. As for the restaurants, they make you put them on to walk through the door and then everybody and I mean EVERYBODY immediately removes them. You can't drink and eat with a mask on and trying to have a conversation at a table or bar with a mask muffling your conversation sucks so everyone immediately removes them. Requiring them be put on to enter restaurants is pretty stupid and a waste of time.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post

On one hand, we need to flatline this thing. On the other hand...it's out there and I don't think it's going away anymore than the common cold or any other flu is and at some point we'll all be in contact with it and see how our body reacts.

I've lost family members to Covid so it does put a different slant on it but honestly, at the moment, I'm more concerned with other crap going on out there right now. That is more worrisome to me.

It would be nice if we could make it go away but we can't. It is here and it is here to stay. You are correct that at some point pretty much everyone is going to come in contact with and come down with it. All we are doing is slowing it down and dragging it out. Which in some ways is a good thing. We definitely need to control it enough to keep the hospitals from becoming overloaded. However, it is inevitable that everyone will be exposed at some point. Cheap homemade masks and scarfs aren't very effective. The virus for the most part goes right through the masks many are wearing. Then there are those that wear their masks loose or don't cover their nose. Six feet means very little since it floats in the air for hours.

People in this thread calling others "stupid" really need to stop and do a little critical thinking. I can assure you I am far from stupid and quite well educated. I am however a realist. I don't look for someone to blame everything on and I don't sit for hours sipping the media koolaid. If you are wearing a homemade mask or scarf or some crap you bought online with a micron rating that basically equates to using a window screen and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, who is the stupid one? You want some realism in your life, I will throw it at you right now. The CDC has known from the get go way back in February how contagious Covid19 is and they also knew that wearing any mask other than medical grade with a high micron is pretty much a waste of time. They however, sugar coat their messages and say things like any mask is better than no mask. While that is true, it is one of those play with words. A cotton homemade mask is very inefficient at stopping the virus from passing through. They aren't going to go around saying that because we do not have enough masks for the medical community and sure as hell don't have enough for the population. They don't want the media to cause any more panic than they already have so they just tell you to wear a mask of some fashion.

At some point, everyone is going to have to come to terms with the fact that they are in all likelihood going to catch Covid19. The only question is how long are we going to play this game of blaming everyone else? Who are some of these people going to be mad at when they still catch it 6 months or a year from now? I'm sure it will be someone or the governments fault in their eyes.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It would be nice if we could make it go away but we can't. It is here and it is here to stay. You are correct that at some point pretty much everyone is going to come in contact with and come down with it. All we are doing is slowing it down and dragging it out. Which in some ways is a good thing. We definitely need to control it enough to keep the hospitals from becoming overloaded. However, it is inevitable that everyone will be exposed at some point. Cheap homemade masks and scarfs aren't very effective. The virus for the most part goes right through the masks many are wearing. Then there are those that wear their masks loose or don't cover their nose. Six feet means very little since it floats in the air for hours.

People in this thread calling others "stupid" really need to stop and do a little critical thinking. I can assure you I am far from stupid and quite well educated. I am however a realist. I don't look for someone to blame everything on and I don't sit for hours sipping the media koolaid. If you are wearing a homemade mask or scarf or some crap you bought online with a micron rating that basically equates to using a window screen and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, who is the stupid one? At some point, everyone is going to have to come to terms with the fact that they are in all likelihood going to catch Covid19. The only question is how long are we going to play this game of blaming everyone else? Who are some of these people going to be mad at when they still catch it 6 months or a year from now? I'm sure it will be someone or the governments fault in their eyes.

Then put your critical thinking skills to work on this one salient fact: Elsewhere in the developed world, new cases have plunged to no more than a trickle. As in the daily average of new cases in the entirety of the developed world now is less than half the average number of new daily cases in the state of Florida. All this is because of a combination of measures that we are not implementing here. There's a difference between being having an education in one area and assuming education in another.

In other words, everything you've written--especially the baloney that "Everybody is going to get it"--is nothing more than lazy palaver.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:58 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,607,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Actually, that was me. And I didn't say stupid people don't wear masks. The stupid one is the guy who HAS covid and is asymptomatic and is still running all over the place and not wearing a mask or anything. But the stupid part is he's not staying quarantined. I figure he's not alone
Quote:
After persons are tested for COVID-19, they should go home to self-isolate and remain there until their results are reported to them by their healthcare provider. They are not to go anywhere other than home.
Home / Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) / Patients and Testing
https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/.../patients.html

Quote:
“Violation of the home quarantine is a misdemeanor and fines for each violation can be up to $500,” the health agency said in a statement. Suspected violations should be reported to law enforcement and the county health department, the agency added.

Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 must quarantine in their home for 14 days, or other period designated by a health officer. Quarantine rules require people to stay in their houses unless they leave to seek necessary medical treatment. People are also asked to quarantine while waiting for results of a COVID test, a process that can take several days.
Coronavirus quarantine violation can lead to $500 fine, ADPH says
https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/coro...adph-says.html

Last edited by MisterEd51; 07-07-2020 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Then put your critical thinking skills to work on this one salient fact: Elsewhere in the developed world, new cases have plunged to no more than a trickle. As in the daily average of new cases in the entirety of the developed world now is less than half the average number of new daily cases in the state of Florida. All this is because of a combination of measures that we are not implementing here. There's a difference between being having an education in one area and assuming education in another.

In other words, everything you've written--especially the baloney that "Everybody is going to get it"--is nothing more than lazy palaver.

And you think for a moment that you just said elsewhere the new cases are a "trickle." Which means it is still spreading and it will continue to spread. Sure they slowed it down but still spreading despite their measures. They are also for the most part still staying home and doing nothing which will not last forever. Some are still locked down and can't go anywhere. We have a little more freedom here and like it that way. If you will remember, the United States was formed because we do not like being told what to do and are a bit defiant. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
And you think for a moment that you just said elsewhere the new cases are a "trickle." Which means it is still spreading and it will continue to spread. Sure they slowed it down but still spreading despite their measures. They are also for the most part still staying home and doing nothing which will not last forever. Some are still locked down and can't go anywhere. We have a little more freedom here and like it that way. If you will remember, the United States was formed because we do not like being told what to do and are a bit defiant. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Holy smokes. That's the dumbest thing I've read today. You claim to be educated. Your writing isn't riddled with grammatical errors and all, but that's about it. Your education certainly isn't manifesting itself here. That smug "Everybody's going to get it" theme you keep trying to sell is simply not the case. It's based on complete ignorance on your part and nothing else.

Allow me to spell it out for you: The slower the spread, the more readily hospitals can deal with the influx of patients. This is especially the case in a state such as Alabama where rural healthcare is scant. That means not overtaxing hospital rooms, ICU beds, equipment, staff, ventilators, you name it. Hell's bells. Even now, we have a looming shortage of ICU beds in this state because of this kind of foolishness you want to mindlessly parrot.

And, at the same time, slowing the spread allows time to develop both a vaccine and improved protocols to deal with new cases. One of my best friends has his PhD in microbiology. Teaches at a medical school. Has studied the coronavirus under a microscope since January. He believes a vaccine will likely be available in 2021, but in the meantime we need to stop the spread. But nitwits don't seem to understand this basic fact.

As far as the freedom thing is concerned, you obviously aren't familiar with this country's long-standing approach to outbreaks such as this one. Public health has always trumped individual rights, even in the earliest days of the Republic. Because individual rights end the minute you endanger the well-being of others. This is a well-established constitutional principle. As I pointed out earlier your freedom of speech does not give you license to shout 'Fire' in a crowded theater. Likewise your weird fixation on masks as an affront to your liberty does not give you the right to stroll around the grocery store or wherever, spreading the virus wherever you please.

Now, go on. Type up another lame rationalization for your selfishness.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 07-07-2020 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 12:37 PM

50 posts, read 51,292 times
Since we're all about science and being rationale thinking beings:

Quote:
Mortality attributed to COVID-19 decreased compared to last week and is currently at the epidemic threshold (Key Updates for Week 26, ending June 27, 2020)
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

The death rate has utterly plummeted (sorry, no pretty picture but the data is in Table 1)
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Quote:
We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836
But let's go on arguing about the science behind masks and the need to mandate then everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area