Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 01:24 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,571 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a space preferably in the Harvest area that I could use to launch model rockets in the E - G range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM

653 posts, read 588,358 times
At one time there were allowed launches from John Hunt Park in Huntsville.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:10 AM

143 posts, read 155,015 times
You're getting up into the federal airspace with that size rocket motor. There is a lot of low level flight training going on in our area that may be impacted (pun intended) by model rockets. Two places I would check, the Space and Rocket center which does an annual rocket launch and the FAA which may have a designated area. Just look up the number for the tower at HSV.

One more thought. There are several restricted areas over Redstone which we pilots avoid. If you could get permission to launch in those areas it would be easier on everyone.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
You're getting up into the federal airspace with that size rocket motor. There is a lot of low level flight training going on in our area that may be impacted (pun intended) by model rockets. Two places I would check, the Space and Rocket center which does an annual rocket launch and the FAA which may have a designated area. Just look up the number for the tower at HSV.
E - G motors are on the small end of the spectrum. BTW, I'm a pilot, too. Part of the process of launching rockets is checking for other aircraft. See and avoid applies here as well. As long as we do our part, we can happily coexist in the airspace we all share. Around here, you should probably be at least 1000' AGL. Unless I can find a nice, big, open field, I don't really want to go much higher than that because I don't want to lose my stuff.

The Space and Rocket Center doesn't have any suitable area for what I am looking for. As far as calling the tower, unless I lucked out and got someone who flew rockets, they aren't going to have the slightest clue about it.

Quote:
One more thought. There are several restricted areas over Redstone which we pilots avoid. If you could get permission to launch in those areas it would be easier on everyone.
I don't think they would be open to that idea nor frankly would I. It's restricted for a reason. I'm really at a loss as to how this activity is causing anyone trouble enough to suggest they launch in a restricted area.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:25 PM

609 posts, read 529,198 times
I have a friend who is in a radio controlled flying club that has a flying field somewhere north of town. Could be the Harvest or Toney area. Also I don’t know if they would allow rocket launches or not. Not much help but maybe something to look into.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,922 times
Brings back a lot of memories. My favorite rocket was the Estes Goblin. It had a streamer instead of a parachute to keep it from drifting too far. A D engine for it cost $2 which was a lot then because the minimum wage was also about $2.

National Association of Rocketry
NAR Club Locator
https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Huntsville Area Rocketry Association (HARA) #403
https://www.nar.org/local_club/hunts...tion-hara-403/

HARA WebsiteHARA | HARA Rocketry Club

HARA Email
officers@hararocketry.org

Next HARA Club Meeting
Date: Thursday August 6, 2020
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Educational Resource Center - U.S. Space & Rocket Center

Last edited by MisterEd51; 07-11-2020 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Brings back a lot of memories. My favorite rocket was the Estes Goblin. It had a streamer instead of a parachute to keep it from drifting too far. A D engine for it cost $2 which was a lot then because the minimum wage was also about $2.

National Association of Rocketry
NAR Club Locator
https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Huntsville Area Rocketry Association (HARA) #403
https://www.nar.org/local_club/hunts...tion-hara-403/

HARA WebsiteHARA | HARA Rocketry Club

HARA Email
officers@hararocketry.org

Next HARA Club Meeting
Date: Thursday August 6, 2020
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Educational Resource Center - U.S. Space & Rocket Center
Thanks for the info. I'm a member of the NAR. HARA doesn't currently have any launches scheduled, so I'm looking for some place close by to put a few up.

I did it as a kid, too. The hobby has come a long way since then. I just saw an ad for a single use "O" motor that retails for $1999.99...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area