Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM

180 posts, read 805,332 times

Advertisements

It seems everytime I go hiking at Monte Sano or Green Mountain with my family, we find a tick or two on us. How bad is lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever in Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Holy crap, we go hiking at least once a month. I've never found a tick but you are freaking me out. I'm totally slathering myself with some toxic bug repellent. Does OFF repel ticks or just mosquitos? Yuck!

I did research lyme disease though - not a big concern here. It's carried mostly by deer ticks further north. Not sure about the other.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
I have heard of some local people getting both diseases. Wear long pants and socks when hiking...check yourself carefully and have someone check your scalp and other parts you can't see after any romps in the woods or open fields.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Not trying to put the fear in anyone, but the last four times I went hiking, at least on member of my family found a tick on their body or clothes. This past Sunday was the worst, I found 3 ticks on me, one on my son, and one on my wife. Luckily none of them were attached. This was only from hiking 2 hours on Monte Sano. I will say, I went off the trail and brushed against the low lying grass and branches. I hear if you stay on the trail and away from tall grass, your probably safe from ticks. Personally I never met anyone with lyme disease, but a lot of people here in AL will testify they know someone who got lyme disease or got Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
One of my dogs has lyme.

The ticks are everywhere here in northern Virginia. You can't step one foot in the woods or unkept grass/field.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
As long as you catch the rash, you just take about 2 grams of amoxacillin a day for a few weeks and everythings fine.

So after you go hiking and you get a small rash (depends on how far along, sometimes it's really nice and circular, sometimes it's just an arc) go see a doctor.

In my case I thought it was a really bad mosquito bite in the back of my knee, but eventually turned into a rash. After a few days (I think about a week after I noticed what I thought was the bite) I saw the doctor and he put me on that amoxacillin, 4-500g pills a day.

So if you get a really really ichy spot in the back of a joint, or crotch region, or other darker and moister area's, might wanna get it checked out.

(This was all personal experience by the way)

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM

124 posts, read 661,066 times
Im in MN, but I had Lyme last summer......it was the most awful sickness I have ever gotten.........10x worse than the flu!! plus, antibiotics for 3 weeks just to cure it!! If you catch it in time, you can treat it with no after effects of the disease, if you don't, you can have life long joint issues. Lyme is nothing to be taken lightly.....make sure you check yourself every time you get back from hiking!! The ones that cause Lyme are the little teeny ones, so check well.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I'm an infectious diseases physician. I do this kind of stuff for a living. Lyme disease is ALL OVER North America. And it's not limited to deer ticks. But that's not the only disease that ticks can transmit. Aside from RMSF (which has even been reported from tick bites in New York city), there's also ehrlichiosis, which can be quite serious in people and potentially DEADLY in pets.

Please check yourselves and your animals whenever you've been outdoors: look under your arms, in your hairline, behind your knees. In animals check under ear flaps, between the toes and around the tail, in addition to everywhere else.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Below is a great article defining lyme disease.

Dr. James Howenstine -- Curing Lyme Disease With Samento

Here is a quote, "Lyme Disease is the fastest growing epidemic in the world. LD is grossly underreported so there may be far more than the 200,000 cases reported annually in the U.S. Dr.Harvey and Salvato estimate that 1 billion persons in the world may be infected with LD. LD is thought to be a contributing factor in 50 % of patients who have chronic illness."

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
WoW.. Thanks Viralmd. I have never heard of ehrlichiosis. Good thing to know about since it is in the Gulf Coast states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area