Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 06:12 AM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times

Advertisements

My son lives in the NW Atlanta suburbs, Kennesaw in particular. He has an average size suburban lot, well landscaped, and pays $190/month year round which includes weekly mowing with a walk-behind Honda mower, edging, blowing, clipping collection, and periodic trimming of bushes (and he has a lot of them) - all the normal things. They do a really good job.

My neighbor pays just under $400/month for the same services, except the don't come as often and only trim the bushes once or twice a year, and they oversee with fescue in the fall.

I only get my lawn mowed once a week at $60 per pop, during the mowing season.

My question is - are we in Huntsville being screwed? Prices for the same, or higher quality, services in Atlanta are about half what we pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 06:28 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
My guess is the guy your son in Atlanta is using pays his help in cash or as contractors rather than paying them as employees and withholding taxes. It is a well known problem in the Landscape field and the IRS has been cracking down on it. There was one here in Huntsville that got caught doing it and they audited them. He will probably get audited for not paying payroll taxes on employees at some point and his prices won't be so cheap anymore. Mathematically $190 per month for all those services do not add up if he has employees which he most certainly does because one guy by himself can't make money at that price either with the cost of trucks, equipment, gas and maintenance these days. So basically he is cheating the system in some way.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:16 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
My daughter lives in a very nice suburb of Atlanta and pays $50 every other week and the guy mows and weed eats and leaves no debris. Does a very nice job. I haven't found a price close to that here for same services either.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 AM

278 posts, read 434,730 times
When I lived in Tampa, I had a .20 acre lot, and I paid $75 a month for full cut, edge, weedeat, blow, and they sprayed for weeds in my flower bed.

Here, I have a .33 acre lot, I could never find that.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
My guess is the guy your son in Atlanta is using pays his help in cash or as contractors rather than paying them as employees and withholding taxes. It is a well known problem in the Landscape field and the IRS has been cracking down on it. There was one here in Huntsville that got caught doing it and they audited them. He will probably get audited for not paying payroll taxes on employees at some point and his prices won't be so cheap anymore. Mathematically $190 per month for all those services do not add up if he has employees which he most certainly does because one guy by himself can't make money at that price either with the cost of trucks, equipment, gas and maintenance these days. So basically he is cheating the system in some way.
Don't think so - it's a company that does several of his neighbors, and has trucks with company logos on it. There's no reason to believe that they're evading employment rules and evading taxes.

It seems that in our area we're being charged as if the workers are college graduates.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:44 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Don't think so - it's a company that does several of his neighbors, and has trucks with company logos on it. There's no reason to believe that they're evading employment rules and evading taxes.

It seems that in our area we're being charged as if the workers are college graduates.

I will bet money they are paying their employees as 1099 contractors instead of employees and doing payroll taxes. It is a well known and rampant problem in the lawn care and landscape industry. You can google it and I am sure you find plenty to read about how common it is in that industry. The IRS has been cracking down and if they are doing it that way, it is just a matter of time until they get a visit. Get your son to bring it up somehow and ask one of them. Maybe act like a buddy of his is thinking about starting a lawn care business and he is wondering how the pay works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: