Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I grew up in Guntersville and have since moved away. I visited over the past weekend and took some photos. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the new Lodge at the State Park. It is great. We stayed in one of the outdated chalets (hopefully they will work on those). I have read through some posts in here from people who are thinking about moving to the Hville area and would like to be near Guntersville. Maybe others with pictures of the area can also post theirs in here to share. Hope to get back down there next year. It is a quaint town and has alot of potential.

The Lodge

View from the rear lawn of the Lodge

Rear of the Lodge

View from the upper deck

Another great view

Front porch of the Lodge

Great fishing on Lake Guntersville

Guntersville is great from any angle

Last edited by PeytonC; 05-13-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Nice photos. The lodge looks really inviting. It is so hard to get an appreciation for geography from just internet maps.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
It is about a 30-40 min drive to/from H'ville.

Those photos are great, better than my feeble attempt from the water.
I haven't been by the lodge since they re-opened it.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 PM

57 posts, read 223,777 times
I have never been to Guntersville considering I lived in Huntsville my entire life. Those pictures are pretty nice and I like the lodge. This makes me wonder if we will ever get a world class water park in the Huntsville metro. There was a proposal in 2005 that Decatur's Point Mallard would become River Country. River Country was suppose to be a entertainment/lifestyle center complex that would allow high rise condominiums and hotels, a water park, a row of restaurants and nightclubs that would resemble Beale Street in Memphis, a huge fairground, a convention center, and a large golf course with lodging amenities. That proposal was struck down at the same time that the developers wanted to add on to Point Mallard park.

I still think Decatur has a shot of doing this but the idea has shifted to bringing the Sweetwater development into the city. This will make shopping more enjoyable for Decatur citizens.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 AM

92 posts, read 367,885 times
Beautiful pictures!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM

64 posts, read 234,229 times
Default Lake Guntersville Photos

Great photos, really beautiful!!
I haven't been to the lodge yet but the photos sure make we want to visit soon. The lake is gorgeous but the view from the lodge is really beautiful.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times

Notice Lake Guntersville in the background!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM

WoW.. how big was that bass?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
^^That's a big one.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I had a good time visiting family down there. Growing up there, you tend to take for granted the scenery and charm of the town. I think it has great potential as a weekend destination for Huntsville families and residents. I live in Charlotte, NC now and there is a town about 20 miles north of here named Huntersville (spooky, huh) that has a large lake and is a regular spot for Charlotte families to visit, boat, and fish. Huntersville is very developed and has great shopping and restaurants. As a suburb of Charlotte, they have great residential developments also. I think as Huntsville grows over the next few decades that Guntersville will appeal to Huntsvillians (?) to escape the city and enjoy one of the best lakes in the country. As I said before, I hope to get down there again next year or before.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM

There is a lot of building going on around the lake if you don't mind a steep lot. I think there are already quite a few folks from H'ville who live in G'ville.

Next time you come down, check Wintzels Seafood, near G'ville HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area