Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 06:22 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmom View Post
Thank you! I will look up that way and into TN. I do want as much land as we can get our hands on, my Dad always said they aren't making more of it. We want critters as well (chickens, etc...). I forgot about Ft. Campbell! We are a prior Air Force family, so not as familiar with all the Army bases (but enjoy visiting them when we find them).
No problem, but if you're coming here, you better get here and or get out into the country at this point in time.

And BTW, I've always enjoyed Air Force bases especially the BX in Osan, but NAS JAX puts all (that I have been to) BX/PX to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 08:10 PM

34 posts, read 61,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I agree about north Arab, and north Marshall County in general. Very easy commute to Redstone. No traffic lights till after you cross the bridge. Not even 45 mins from there. more like 25-30.
Thank you!

Old 01-02-2022, 09:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,985,647 times
It exists but it ain't likely to be found in Madison County. Jackson, Marshall, Morgan, Limestone Counties, or up into Tennessee around Taft. I've done this song and dance a time or two. I recommend getting a good realtor, everyone who has successfully done this in various places (by "this", I mean finding a house with a plot of land) has gone this route.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 AM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I agree about north Arab, and north Marshall County in general. Very easy commute to Redstone. No traffic lights till after you cross the bridge. Not even 45 mins from there. more like 25-30.
I will say that when I moved here a year ago, you could have gotten something like that in north Marshall County. Not so sure now.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:19 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
The problem is it is a great time to sell but a terrible time to buy. Sure you may make a good chunk on your current home because it increased in value but you will have to turn around and overpay for your new place which will then drop in value in the next one to three years when this bubble ends. You aren't going to find a deal right now. What will most likely happen is you will sell your current home quickly and possibly be under contract to move out in 30 days and you will find yourself in bidding wars on homes you try to buy and getting outbid by cash buyers. I have heard of homes going for more than $50,000 above listing price right now and a lot of them are going to full cash buyers because they are quick and easy to close without having to deal with banks. It is one of those weird times in the market where the buying and selling are so far apart from each other. Cars are the same way right now. We are setting up for a lot of foreclosures and repossessions in the next several years if the market doesn't correct real soon.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:01 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Has your house gone up 150% since 2018? If so, I am not sure what the issue is. Considering you are selling in Madison and wanting to buy in a rural area, you will be fine. Madison has exploded in the last couple years. I doubt North Marshall, Morgan or southern TN has seen quite the increase Madison has. Your budget is $800k, which will still buy a very nice homestead in most of North AL.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:30 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
As mentioned earlier with a valley and mls, there are other search engines and when you have 5+ acres and 4+ bedrooms, you will see the slim list, to include souther Tennessee (Lincoln and Giles counties). From Fayetteville, TN, Arnold AFB is much closer than Ft Campbell. You can also look on cry-likey type website too vs. valley.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The problem is it is a great time to sell but a terrible time to buy. Sure you may make a good chunk on your current home because it increased in value but you will have to turn around and overpay for your new place which will then drop in value in the next one to three years when this bubble ends. You aren't going to find a deal right now. What will most likely happen is you will sell your current home quickly and possibly be under contract to move out in 30 days and you will find yourself in bidding wars on homes you try to buy and getting outbid by cash buyers. I have heard of homes going for more than $50,000 above listing price right now and a lot of them are going to full cash buyers because they are quick and easy to close without having to deal with banks. It is one of those weird times in the market where the buying and selling are so far apart from each other. Cars are the same way right now. We are setting up for a lot of foreclosures and repossessions in the next several years if the market doesn't correct real soon.
I totally agree! We definitely don't want to see ourselves stuck in a house we paid way too much for here in 3 years.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:40 AM

Thank you for everyone who had helpful comments and opinions. My husband and I read them all and will zero in on those areas and just watch for a bit. If it becomes apparent that it just won't happen, then we will start looking outside the area if need be. Thanks for steering us in the right direction.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:18 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Keep in mind also that a lot of people are skipping realtors right now and selling by owner and not listing with the realtors. I know several with land that have sold on their own over the past yr and half and many in the Arab, Union Grove area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area