Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 04:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,481,832 times

Advertisements

You could also try looking around northeast Morgan County. Just don't buy ON the river as it tends to flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 01:03 PM

25 posts, read 37,680 times
Default Here's a visual of what inflation is doing to home prices.

]

Old 01-11-2022, 01:08 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,034,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You could also try looking around northeast Morgan County. Just don't buy ON the river as it tends to flood.
Priceville!

I think I posted a thread on this

Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,161,419 times
Man... if I still had my rural property I'd be running a sawmill right about now. Where along the manufacturing line is the price jump since the cost of paper hasn't seemed to have inflated?

Old 01-12-2022, 06:59 AM

3,466 posts, read 4,870,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Man... if I still had my rural property I'd be running a sawmill right about now. Where along the manufacturing line is the price jump since the cost of paper hasn't seemed to have inflated?
So many homes have been being built, it is pretty much the entire supply chain for lumber and building materials. They can't cut the trees and get them to the sawmill fast enough, the sawmills did not have the capacity for the volume and the distributors do not have the capacity to get the materials to retailers. Part of this is because they closed and sold facilities 10 years ago during the housing collapse and are just now having to build the capacity back up. Another problem is the labor shortages caused by shutdowns and liberal unemployment policies and handouts over the past couple of years during all this Covid craziness. Also, some materials come from overseas and due to some of the same reasons, the ports are a complete disorganized, understaffed mess right now.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:33 AM

23,669 posts, read 70,774,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
So many homes have been being built, it is pretty much the entire supply chain for lumber and building materials. They can't cut the trees and get them to the sawmill fast enough, the sawmills did not have the capacity for the volume and the distributors do not have the capacity to get the materials to retailers. Part of this is because they closed and sold facilities 10 years ago during the housing collapse and are just now having to build the capacity back up. Another problem is the labor shortages caused by shutdowns and liberal unemployment policies and handouts over the past couple of years during all this Covid craziness. Also, some materials come from overseas and due to some of the same reasons, the ports are a complete disorganized, understaffed mess right now.
So much of this was minor issue. Much of the rest of your "reasoning" is pure far-right attempt to rewrite history to further anti-liberal myths, blaming liberals for a congressional relief bill passed by them during a Republican controlled Congress and under a far-right president. The "perfect storm" was related to an insect invasion having killed trees in the Pacific Northwest and Canada, dead trees left standing "aging out" of the window when they could still be cut to serve area sawmills, then the unanticipated demand from homeowners stuck at home by the virus protocols trying to use that time to start long-deferred building projects. Very little lumber comes from overseas. Most is shipped on trains or locally on truck.

Local mills had other issues as mill owners and workers were aging out, profitability had been down, and equipment not in good repair. In effect, end game capitalism had concentrated production in few mega-companies as economics dictate, and there was little market resilience from dispersed redundancy. We see that effect in other areas of the economy as well, and it is a strategic disaster as much as our reliance on cheap OPEC oil in the 1970s and the subsequent rationing and price hikes.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:47 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,928,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
So much of this was minor issue. Much of the rest of your "reasoning" is pure far-right attempt to rewrite history to further anti-liberal myths, blaming liberals for a congressional relief bill passed by them during a Republican controlled Congress and under a far-right president. The "perfect storm" was related to an insect invasion having killed trees in the Pacific Northwest and Canada, dead trees left standing "aging out" of the window when they could still be cut to serve area sawmills, then the unanticipated demand from homeowners stuck at home by the virus protocols trying to use that time to start long-deferred building projects. Very little lumber comes from overseas. Most is shipped on trains or locally on truck.

Local mills had other issues as mill owners and workers were aging out, profitability had been down, and equipment not in good repair. In effect, end game capitalism had concentrated production in few mega-companies as economics dictate, and there was little market resilience from dispersed redundancy. We see that effect in other areas of the economy as well, and it is a strategic disaster as much as our reliance on cheap OPEC oil in the 1970s and the subsequent rationing and price hikes.
Belongs in the Political Forum....Moderator??

Old 01-12-2022, 08:01 AM

3,466 posts, read 4,870,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

That is complete crap. lol

Go tell that to a builder or a lumber salesman that has been trying to get materials for the last year. The capacity is not there. The drivers for trucks are not there. There isn't warehouse space to store it when they do make it. Lumber has literally sat in containers and on flat beds for months waiting to be picked up and hauled to distributors. Plywood, OSB, Door slabs, and MDF moulding comes from overseas as well as attic stairs. They have all been sitting on container ships outside of ports for months......MONTHS....because the ports have had so many people out on unemployment and they can't hire enough workers.

Here is a link about current US lumber imports. We import more than you think and when you interrupt say a 15% share of the supply when the supply chain is already over-stressed it is a major problem :

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301210117.html

By the way, I re-read my post to see if I could figure out why you are coming at me sideways with all this political crap when I said nothing about politics. All I can figure is you saw the word "liberal" and went bizerk. I did not use "liberal" in a political sense; I used "liberal" as in they have been very liberal in allowing people to qualify for unemployment if they chose not to work. Those are two completely different things. Hell every state whether they are Red or Blue allowed people to walk away from jobs and draw unemployment for a while.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:01 AM

13,159 posts, read 9,717,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know absolutely nothing about timber farming, but according to members of my sports board, who do know a lot about the subject, high prices at Home Depot don't necessarily translate into the timber owners getting high prices for their product.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:23 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,161,419 times
Well... sorry to have started ww3. I knew when the housing situation burst on the scene the costs when up but just wasn't quite sure where since it doesn't seem to be an issue lower down the tree production line, so to speak.

To GreggT..... Mr. Chickpea is a moderator I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area