Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 02:30 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

A couple of the fast food restaurants I go to (Burger King and KFC) have not opened their dine in areas. They are drive-through only. This particular KFC last year allowed counter pickup but now that is not allowed. Is this very common in Huntsville and Madison? Is it caused by a of labor shortage?

Note I realize that this may not be a corporate wide practice but only true for the particular franchises I frequent.

I read that nationwide some fast food operations because of a labor shortage and high wages are rethinking dine in altogether and are considering drive-through as a norm because it is more profitable. What do people here think about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 04:57 AM

110 posts, read 95,427 times
My mind goes to the $ spent idling in the drive through line. Depending on your vehicle and the wait time, you just spent $3 in gas to get food from the drive through.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:18 AM

294 posts, read 235,760 times
I know not long ago Chik-Fil-A in Madison had to close it's indoor dining because they could not get enough workers. They have since reopened it. But I rarely go into a fast food place. Yeah, I know I use gas, but I'm lazy. If it is moving too slow I'll turn off the engine (a lot of cars do that automatically).

Old 03-31-2022, 06:32 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Generally speaking, having a drive through only pretty much means "labor shortage". A lot of money was spent to provide dine in services just to go to waste so obviously dining services were meant to be.
My experience is Drive though services only now, is limited to certain Franchise owners who seem to have issues attracting and keeping employees. Others seem to be doing pretty well offering full service and you pretty much see the same faces every time you go.
If I was the company granting the franchise, I would make it mandatory in order to keep the franchise, you must stay open. What I have seen is A fast food place that has trouble staffing, has other issues in terms of quality of both food and service. Places like this give a company a bad name and after a bad experience at one location it bleeds off into others.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:11 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I rarely ever go to fast food places anymore. I do know one of the KFC locations was drive through only because they did not have enough help to run the dining room from what I was told. It appears to be mostly isolated to particular franchise owners now though so it pretty much tells you which ones aren't good at managing and retaining employees. There are workers out there but they have options and if you are a bad employer, they will move on.

I get that drive thru's are more profitable and easier to manage for fast food restaurants but I have never used them much. I typically go in, order my food and use the restroom while my food is being prepared. More or less utilizing my time efficiently and also not burning gas in a drive thru. I have often wondered with all the environmental, global warming talk going on, why they haven't banned drive thru's. Can you imagine how much gasoline is burned every day by cars idling in drive thru's?

Old 04-03-2022, 01:46 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
I know not long ago Chik-Fil-A in Madison had to close it's indoor dining because they could not get enough workers. They have since reopened it. But I rarely go into a fast food place. Yeah, I know I use gas, but I'm lazy. If it is moving too slow I'll turn off the engine (a lot of cars do that automatically).
I toured the CFA headquarters 5 years ago in Atlanta and they did a presentation on their business model. I was surprised when the host said 60% of their business was drive thru and they were constantly working to improve that number. During the height of the covid shutdown their drive thru business was 100%. I really didn’t think they would reopen the dining rooms.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:32 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Back in 2019 I thought it strange when I first read about Chik-Fil-A opening a drive-through only franchise on Governors Drive. It was good luck that they opened it in April 2020 just when COVID-19 was forcing other fast food restaurants to operate the same way. It is not unusual for the opening date of a new restaurant to slip. I bet Chik-Fil-A pushed the grand opening of the Governors Drive franchise to open as scheduled to take advantage of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: