Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 05:54 AM

130 posts, read 105,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
When I moved to Georgia from California the hardest thing to adjust to was the very poor street lighting. I had a Ford with the average halogen lights.

The solution to this is to get a car with HID lights. I was amazed the first time I drove a Dodge Challenger rental with these lights on a very dark road. The regular setting was much brighter than my Ford with the high beams on.

Get a car with HID lights and you will not have to worry about the dark roads. I would also get an auto dimming rear view mirror so you will not to worry about the guy behind you with HID or LED lights.
I drive a high end Lexus SUV, I believe my headlights are all HID. If not, I will bring it to the dealership and get that done.

I am struggling to find a decent self serve car wash here. If you know of any, please let me know- In Nashville, I always find good ones- here, I dont for whatever reason.

Some are so outdated that they only take quarters- Sorry but we are living in 2022, not 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 08:13 AM

294 posts, read 235,127 times
Just to make sure folks are aware, not that anyone has proposed this, please do not take a car with regular halogen headlights and reflector housings and stick HID or LED bulbs in them. They are not made for it, they will scatter the light and blind oncoming drivers.

HID and LED headlights need to go into projector housings. These are the ones that look like lenses. A proper conversion from halogen to HID or LED requires the replacement of the housings as well, which makes it much more expensive.

Just because Amazon and other places sell relatively inexpensive "conversion kits" doesn't mean you should use them.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:38 AM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
When I moved to Georgia from California the hardest thing to adjust to was the very poor street lighting. I had a Ford with the average halogen lights.

The solution to this is to get a car with HID lights. I was amazed the first time I drove a Dodge Challenger rental with these lights on a very dark road. The regular setting was much brighter than my Ford with the high beams on.

Get a car with HID lights and you will not have to worry about the dark roads. I would also get an auto dimming rear view mirror so you will not to worry about the guy behind you with HID or LED lights.

HID lights are good. LED headlights are better, and most upper end cars come with LEDs nowadays.

My first Corvette (2003) had halogen lights, and driving at night was almost impossible. My next Corvette (2012) had HID lights and were much, much better. My current 2021 Audi SQ5 has LED lights that are fantastic. And, if I'm not mistaken, Congress just passed a law allowing "adaptable LED" lights (I think that's what they're called, which will light the road much better than even regular LEDs on an open road with no oncoming traffic. LEDs are the way to go.

Same can be said for streetlights - LED all the way rather than the orange sodium vapor lights. LED lights don't appear to be all that bright at the source, but they're whiter and light up the roadway much better. Plus, they only use about 10% of the energy of older lights and last longer. As I understand it, all the streetlights in this area are being converted to LEDs. It just takes time.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:10 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
I drive a high end Lexus SUV, I believe my headlights are all HID. If not, I will bring it to the dealership and get that done.

I am struggling to find a decent self serve car wash here. If you know of any, please let me know- In Nashville, I always find good ones- here, I dont for whatever reason.

Some are so outdated that they only take quarters- Sorry but we are living in 2022, not 1985.
This outfit will wash your high end Lexus SUV.

https://www.lexusofhuntsville.com/

Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 AM

130 posts, read 105,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
This outfit will wash your high end Lexus SUV.

https://www.lexusofhuntsville.com/
They are great. David, the service advisor there is outstanding, this is an example of a great business in Huntsville- I had some work done there first week I was here and their quote was 30% less that what Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood, CO had quoted me for the same service.

I am usually a very difficult customer, I can be very condescending and often times, I have had to get into shouting matches with the service advisors at Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood, not here though.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:46 AM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
They are great. David, the service advisor there is outstanding, this is an example of a great business in Huntsville- I had some work done there first week I was here and their quote was 30% less that what Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood, CO had quoted me for the same service.

I am usually a very difficult customer, I can be very condescending and often times, I have had to get into shouting matches with the service advisors at Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood, not here though.
Probably is attributable to the labor rate differences between the two places.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:05 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:

Litter/Trash: The amount of litter and trash I have seen in this area so far is unmatched- I have not seen anything like this not even in 3rd World countries like Mexico and Brazil. I think it has a lot to do with ignorance and a poor educational system if I had to guess.
If you think the litter situation is that bad here, try crossing the state line into Mississippi.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:11 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:

How impressive.

A lot of people in Alabama are worried about Californians "Californicating" Alabama. How is this "situation" not worse than the perceived threat of Californians ruining Alabama??

Old 09-11-2022, 01:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,252 times
Quote:
It is a daily struggle for me...
It's a struggle for us too

Old 09-11-2022, 02:00 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
You know, HSVAeroEngineer, you never answer my questions. I can understand your not responding to my criticism, but you never answer questions. I believe that it is because there is no good answer or rebuttal to my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area