Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 12:44 PM

110 posts, read 95,427 times

Advertisements

New traffic light being installed today on Pulaski Pike at Beaverdam Rd (west) and Monroe Rd (east).

Popo directing traffic. Same location where they put a turn lane in for Northbound Pulaski at Beaverdam, but unknown if it will actually contain a turn lane light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 06:33 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
A light was really needed at Monroe. I'm not familiar with Beaverdam Rd.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:34 PM

74 posts, read 28,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVAeroEngineer View Post
Some realtor suggested to buy in "up and coming" areas like Harvest, Meridianville and New Market but I am not so convinced that his suggestion is a good idea.

I drove a section of Monroe Rd this afternoon near Meridianville and the amount of litter and trash people keep in front of their homes is absurd- you could be very well intentioned but if your neighbors dont have any standards- I would be very hesitant to invest in those areas.

I went to see a home in Madison in an area I would call subpar-still not bad but one of the home owners had all types of junk laid out in his front yard- hubcaps and other miscellaneous trash.

In this area, if you see a home that is listed cheaper than average, look at the neighbors and the quality of the homes around it- often times, there is a reason why a place is listed cheaper and it may not be so obvious from the pictures on the website.
I guess you haven't been around the block yet if this is news to you - that people who live in the country often keep random stuff on their property. That's the case in NJ about as much as it is in Alabama or just about anywhere else.

That's why people buy land there and live there, so they can get a good chunk of land for a reasonable price and do what they want with it, and so others will leave them alone.

A house is primarily a home and neighbors don't exist to protect and inflate your investment.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:39 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleg1 View Post
I guess you haven't been around the block yet if this is news to you - that people who live in the country often keep random stuff on their property. That's the case in NJ about as much as it is in Alabama or just about anywhere else.

That's why people buy land there and live there, so they can get a good chunk of land for a reasonable price and do what they want with it, and so others will leave them alone.

A house is primarily a home and neighbors don't exist to protect and inflate your investment.
Just an FYI - the OP was banned about 3 months ago, presumably for being a troll who tried to get peoples' hackles up.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:34 AM

110 posts, read 95,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
A light was really needed at Monroe. I'm not familiar with Beaverdam Rd.
Same street. Changes names when it crosses Pulaski Pike.

Old 12-09-2022, 03:35 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
Same street. Changes names when it crosses Pulaski Pike.
I guess the flashing light wasn't enough.

Going north on Pulaski Pike, Beaver Dam is on the left and Monroe is on the right.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:32 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post

Going north on Pulaski Pike, Beaver Dam is on the left and Monroe is on the right.
Someday the rest of Pulaski Pike will need to be upgraded to a 5 lane along with Wall Tirana Hwy and Old Railroad Bed Rd.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
There is a lot of junk and trash in some locations, not others. I used to live in rural Washington and trash in the yards was common. We moved to South Florida, and it’s almost as Deep South as you can get without taking a dip in the ocean.

Anyway, we were doing a Sunday drive today, kind of exploring the area near the vacation cabin we’re staying in. Even though many folks out in the boonies have modest means, there was not one small house or trailer with trash piled out front. I jokingly asked my spouse where the mattresses and junkers were.

Rural Washington would have had a fair share of trashy yards. This is all down to attitude and folks who take pride in their homes. I guess many in rural Washington never learned about taking pride in their home, but it was absolutely astounding not to see a single rural Florida house with a junk pile out front. We must have driven for about twenty or thirty minutes and down a lot of roads. Yes, some yokels do have a love affair with junk, but that attitude wasn’t present today. I was happy to see people taking this kind of pride in their property.

There is nothing strange about a house next to an open field, it probably belongs to the farmer who owns the land. He works hard and is able to provide a nice house for his family. We recently completed a 3k mile drive and in many states rural areas, there are a lot of open fields and a single house. It’s either the farmers house or belongs to someone who purchased land to build a house surrounded by fields and not a tract development. It’s understandable, not everyone wants to hear their next door neighbor flush the toilet.
My kind of living. I don't want to see or hear my neighbors.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:54 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post

This photo is old. Now there is a separate turn lane off Pulaski onto Monroe. The new parking lots near the Facebook data center, TVA, and new construction can hold over a thousand cars, so a turn lane, stoplights, etc. is needed before it’s finalized. That entire area is now a huge industrial park.

The cleared land, buildings and parking lots that are seen on google maps (of that area) now stretches all the way to Monroe. Currently there are hundreds of vehicles daily from construction workers.
Incredible how expansive that whole area is now from a year ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8451.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 12-14-2022, 10:19 AM

170 posts, read 140,315 times
Funny thing is the redneck who has lived here all his life with junk on his property will soon be able to sell it and retire on the money he makes off the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area