Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 01:29 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Driving at nighttime should be safe enough, just not as good as the daytime. A good piece of advice is to not stop anywhere in the Birmingham area, especially after dark.
you probably won't need to stop in birmingham since tuscaloosa is only 45 minutes away, but the notion that it's not safe to stop "anywhere in the birmingham area, especially after dark", is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 02:33 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
you probably won't need to stop in birmingham since tuscaloosa is only 45 minutes away, but the notion that it's not safe to stop "anywhere in the birmingham area, especially after dark", is ridiculous.
Not so sure about that Tim, especially along the 20/59/65 route. Some guy got shot a couple weeks ago filling up his car if I recall correctly, another getting at an ATM. There can't be much of an argument when there have already been over 100 homicides inside the city limits so far this year. Bessemer's not so great either. South of downtown a bit is probably just fine. Of course, the news can be misleading.

Old 09-24-2022, 03:19 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Not so sure about that Tim, especially along the 20/59/65 route. Some guy got shot a couple weeks ago filling up his car if I recall correctly, another getting at an ATM. There can't be much of an argument when there have already been over 100 homicides inside the city limits so far this year. Bessemer's not so great either. South of downtown a bit is probably just fine. Of course, the news can be misleading.
Sounds like they could use a charitable engineer to increase property values down there and show them the right way to do things! Gee, I wonder who is available?

Old 09-24-2022, 09:07 PM

130 posts, read 105,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sounds like they could use a charitable engineer to increase property values down there and show them the right way to do things! Gee, I wonder who is available?
Birmingham is probably a lost cause because the difference between the haves and have nots is too drastic

Mountain Brook is probably one of the nicest suburbs in the South- some of those Black neighborhoods right adjacent to Downtown are like 3rd world style slums.

Birmingham may show some signs of recovery in the short term but the fact that they continue to vote Democrat makes me think that nothing is going to change anytime soon.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thankyou all for all this good information. Keep them coming. Staying overnight seems like a good plan.
How is the drive from Tusc. to Huntsville? I am a bit worried about safety returning at night, if we decide not get a hotel.
If you do stay overnight, I would recommend staying in a hotel downtown. The area around the square is very walkable and safe and has a lot of nice restaurants and bars. Big Spring Park is a very nice spot to walk around as are the adjacent historic districts, Twickenham and Old Town. There is an Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, AC Marriott and 106 Jefferson (Hilton property). The last 2 are pricey but look nice, I have only been to the restaurants.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:32 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Quote:
The ride isn't bad. I-20/59 approaching Birmingham from the SW is a bit rough in spots, but 65 north is fine. Of course, you're subject to running into road construction most any time but it's not a bad drive at all. 20/59 to 65 north is a lefthand exit, so make sure to be in the left lane when approaching the interchange. Traffic shouldn't be bad at most any hour.

Driving at nighttime should be safe enough, just not as good as the daytime. A good piece of advice is to not stop anywhere in the Birmingham area, especially after dark.
Well, you have certainly topped yourself on the lunacy of this comment. It must be nice to be so out of touch. Note: one does seem to go through Birmingham and the metro to get anywhere. Even Tuscaloosa to Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area