Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 08:49 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
I should clarify the "2 strikes" only applies to smaller towns. For example, you do know an hour south of Decatur there's a town called Cullman that's known for the KKK activity? No joke. I drove through outside the town (on hwy 67), there's a 2-story Confederate flag proudly displayed.

15 years ago an Asian friend asked about buying in Athens thinking the property is less expensive. A life-long Huntsville resident politely told him that in Athens "folks are from Alabama and used to the old ways of doing things". The Asian friend got the hint and paid for a more expensive house in the city instead. So far, I have not heard he's experienced any racially motivated hate crime.

It's not just about race. A coworker who is white had this dream of buying a cabin out in the country with some acreage. So he bought a property near Lacey Springs. His new neighbor, a locally bred for at least a couple of generations, didn’t think twice about trespassing his land to hunt. Imagine hearing rifles going off just outside of your window at night? Multiple complaints to the local warden didn't help because they all grew up with each other. In fact, the warden warned him to keep his dog on a leash otherwise it may get shot. My coworker finally got fed up, sold the land for a loss, and moved back into the city.

You're not limited to Madison or Huntsville. My black coworker who's a mixed race couple lives in Harvest. A small city just north of Madison. Capshaw is another nearby neighborhood you can check them out too.

I was told about lacey springs and cullman were not good for sure. I actually met a older lady who was visiting up here who told me that. Wow its sad about the kkk activity. Well you know about Daryl Davis look him up he did something alot of us would not have tried so its sad that some people are still like this. Maybe he needs to visit cullman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 07:21 AM

1,849 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
modular home

For many reasons, that's not a great idea, but the biggest is the increase in tornadic storms in this area over the years. You do not want to be in or near a mobile/modular home in the event of a tornado.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:41 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
I think renting would be your best option so you get to know the area in your own timeframe. Being from Madison, I'm bias towards it and would recommend living here. If you need some space that a house affords versus an apartment, I know there a few rental homes in my neighborhood just off of Countyline Road that may be a good start. I think there is one house for sale too.

Your husband would have a straight shot to Tanner for work on Huntsville/Brownsferry Road.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
For many reasons, that's not a great idea, but the biggest is the increase in tornadic storms in this area over the years. You do not want to be in or near a mobile/modular home in the event of a tornado.
Right, I am surprised no one had responded to this yet. Alabama has a history of tornadic weather. Please do your research on this topic and make sure you have a storm shelter nearby regardless of where you decide to be.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:42 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
There are enough chips on shoulders in this thread to call it a quarry.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:24 AM

10,983 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplanet388 View Post
Right, I am surprised no one had responded to this yet. Alabama has a history of tornadic weather. Please do your research on this topic and make sure you have a storm shelter nearby regardless of where you decide to be.
Have you looked at the Eddy area? Unincorporated land between Guntersville and Arab. There is a storm shelter and the schools close by are considered very good. Yes, it's a mostly white area but so are other areas mentioned in this thread. The problem is, even with a storm shelter you still have to worry about a mobile home.

There are also really violent thunder claps. Had a few yesterday. Those will scare the bejabbers out of you and your pets. The weather is definitely an issue here. Natives take it in stride, but it's always a concern. Another thing is violent downpours that gratefully usually last only about 15 mins. at a time. I escaped one yesterday - barely. Got home just in time. Still, it beats the weather in PA. As someone not from the area, it rains all the time here. All the time. Some years more than others. It gets old, but again, the natives take it in stride because they're used to it.

PS I saw upthread OP's comment about Daryl Davis. He shouldn't bother. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes Cullman but even before I knew it was a KKK town and a sundown town, I visited there a couple of times and didn't like it. Something felt off, and I found out later what it was.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:09 AM

844 posts, read 418,555 times
One thing about the tornadoes, it has a narrow but predictable path. Historically they tend to travel the same pattern (Anderson Hills in Harvest got hit twice in the span of couple of years). I heard they don't like to cross the river nor do they like mountains. Maybe that explains why many old timers live on the east side of Huntsville, though one went through the airport road and destroyed many buildings. One of danger living west of County line road in Madison is maybe in the path of tornadoes because of the wide open space.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
One thing about the tornadoes, it has a narrow but predictable path. Historically they tend to travel the same pattern (Anderson Hills in Harvest got hit twice in the span of couple of years). I heard they don't like to cross the river nor do they like mountains. Maybe that explains why many old timers live on the east side of Huntsville, though one went through the airport road and destroyed many buildings. One of danger living west of County line road in Madison is maybe in the path of tornadoes because of the wide open space.
The subdivision known as Anderson Hills has been hit twice. Once in 1995 and then again in 2011 in the exact same path. The same houses were hit and the brick wall was demolished in the exact same spot again. After the 2011 tornado, they did not rebuild the brick wall and a wood fence was built in that spot. That is only half the story though. An older farmer that had lived in that area his entire life said that back before the Anderson Hills subdivision was there, the same path was hit I believe sometime in the 50's and also in the 1974 Super Tornado outbreak. So that particular path is a tornado waiting to happen for whatever reason.

The mountains and the drop offs to the rivers apparently change the wind currents and cause tornadoes to fall apart. They love the wide open more flat areas.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:46 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Has anyone seen the thread that was about relocating to Decatur?

Old 08-09-2023, 07:16 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Has anyone seen the thread that was about relocating to Decatur?
This is it.....

Oh yeah.....you are that guy that has to smart off every time the conversation in a thread leads to a little side discussion. That is why they are called "Discussion Forums." I guess when you are sitting having a discussion with people at a table and it leads to other topics, you smart off and say we need to get back on topic. lol

It happens, it is the natural tendency of discussions. If it doesn't happen, the thread will just die and fall down the list to never be seen again so what difference does it really make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area