Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State?
NE Huntsville 35811 (formerly 33458, SE FL)

2) Why do you want to leave?
Left FL because there was no promise of mountains growing or low-rise getting any higher.

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities?
We looked at several, came close to Greenville SC or Metro Washington State...but husband dislikes inevitable, abundant rain and any possibility of blizzards. With our move here, he transferred, keeping seniority, instead of leaving the company.

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving?
'Done that!

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know?
CHIGGERS. CRANE FLIES. Forget Black Widows and biting snakes - these afore mentioned are the two creatures that have already made me wiggy.

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets?
Everyone is nice. Polite. Well, most everyone. People here smile, wave, greet...refreshing.

Dislike THE ROADS. Potholes much!? Man...where's that 8% tax going?

Pleasant surprises: Let me tell you about the rain storm. Had just moved here, company putting us up temporarily. Husband was in Cali on business. Just munchkin and I, grocery shopping at the SuperT because it was closest to the hotel. Weather was fine going in, left umbrella in the truck. Come out to a flood from the sky. Oh boy. Groceries and a 3 year old to get from point A to point B. Waaay over there...'cause I never concern myself with getting the closest spot. (Smacks head.)
I'm used to rain like this (even more so) so I head right for my vehicle, jumping puddles, kissing off the perishables to get my daughter inside before she succumbs to hypothermia (It was November/December) and as I 'round the back of my truck, a woman - out of NO-WHERE - runs up and yells, "I'm here to help you!" OK, now, she is getting soaked right along with me as we try to get a week's supply of goods into the back of my 'lil Tacoma...her husband pulls up behind us, window down and starts chatting while we finish up. I thanked her profusely, still amazed that someone would do this. I have been full of good deeds for others ever since. (I'm that way anyway, but not used to getting it back in spades.)

Her name was Scarlett.

Thank you, Scarlett.

Regrets...food with tax is more expensive here. Cost of living has actually proven to be almost the same as South Florida, while we were originally given the impression (even after months of research) that it would be 'cheaper' here...the houses are less expensive, but that's it. And I'm about to drop 12,000. to start fixing mine...
Do not have the selection (of anything) we were accustomed to. Bridge Street...well, perhaps for many that is a draw, but that's the kind of shopping experience we had before (snooty, er - attractive, upscale and possibly over-priced)...I'd really rather see more local specialty boutiques and entrepreneurs, home-grown fare...businesses and other functions are not as accessible, either. Stuff closes earlier here or simply isn't open. But I already knew that. Some one else might not.
'Alabama time', as we now call it, means you don't get a call back the same day but a few days later...or two weeks later. What's your hurry, anyway? ;)
A few other issues I won't mention here as to not offend. Just different, going to adapt.

Last edited by 33458; 07-03-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,959 times
1) Current City and State? Auburn, Alabama

2) Why do you want to leave? Retiring from Auburn University with 25 years employment.

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities? Huntsville is my hometown and I'm looking forward to coming back.

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving? Retirement date is Jan. 1, 2009

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? I'm job hunting. I will be taking a paralegal certificate course and am interested in a position as a legal assistant, administrative assistant or paralegal. I enjoy plays, concerts, reading, I especially enjoy live theater.

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets? n/a

Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
South Puget Sound area, WA

A) I can't stand 10 months of clouds and rain (and I think there is something inherently wrong with popping happy pills and sitting under artificial happy lights to trick the body into thinking it's getting enough sun). B) Priced out of the housing market. "Average home" (code for ghetto, crackhouse) starts at 260K. House values/prices are not dropping here regardless of the sub-prime mess. C) A desire to be around friendly/social people. (If you've ever lived in the Pac NW, you'll understand this statement).

Louisville, KY (is actually my first choice, but a move there would involve leaving the aerospace/defense industry and finding a new career, thus Huntsville). Tulsa, OK is also a consideration, as is Lexington, KY (last on the list).

Still in the info gathering mode. Nailing down a position.

I plan to take up gardening and plant as many sweet, smelling flowering thingys I can

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets?
I'll let you know when I make it there

Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post

I plan to take up gardening and plant as many sweet, smelling flowering thingys I can
Me too. The only place that is harder than Colorado to grow flowers and plants is the moon.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Me too. The only place that is harder than Colorado to grow flowers and plants is the moon.
Oh I don't know about that. I lived in the Texas panhandle with its rocky soil and Oklahoma with its clay. Texas was especially troublesome--ground is like concrete. NE OK (Tulsa area) has nice dirt--not the red clay of Oklahoma city. There is always someplace worse!

Charles, when are you moving to HSV?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Charles, when are you moving to HSV?
August 5th.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
August 5th.
That's the day my flight leaves HSV on my whirlwind recon trip. Are you excited to move?

Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That's the day my flight leaves HSV on my whirlwind recon trip. Are you excited to move?
Sure. We have to sell you house here before we buy there. We have to get the blue card. Next week we'll be there on a house hunting trip - kids will be in Space Day Camp and YMCA camp while we're checking out homes. Hope I can get into Huntsville High School to check it out.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
Gainesville, VA (outer Washington DC suburb)

Cost of living, and prefer proximity to relatives in the south

Pensacola FL, Raleigh-Durham NC

Job hunting

I have a 15 mos old daughter and I race motorcycles.

We visited - Bridge St. and the mountains were very nice; fair variety of dining options, disappointing downtown area; seemingly takes no time at all to drive all the way across town (which is good and bad). Not a fan of frontage streets - and Huntsville is full of em!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

262 posts, read 793,777 times
Recently moved from VA to Harvest

DH retired from the military and accepted position in Huntsville.

none, really

We are renting for a year to get a feel for the area before we buy.

I will grit my teeth and be nice to locals during college ball season

We love the easy access to other parts of the South...the beach, Atlanta, Nashville, etc. We also have enjoyed the local hospitality and safety of the area. I did not feel as safe in VA when out and about. I am surprised at the split personality that Huntsville has East and West of 231. We live in Harvest, and it's a real effort to make it to 231, but I find most of what I need in the Madison area, though.

Have not discovered any real dislikes, but being from the South originally, I pretty much knew what to expect here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area