Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 AM

482 posts, read 991,301 times

Advertisements

In the measure to vote whether or not to display addresses in public real estate sites for the Huntsville Metro, the following result was decided.

Of over 3,000 possible voters, only 1,122 voted.

YES: 457
NO: 665

SO...as I figured we will not be able to display addresses in the foreseeable future. This is just ridiculous....people never cease to amaze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
So there's some type of ban on showing property addresses on MLS sites here? Hmm... I noticed they never are listed, but I just figured that was the individual agencies making the call. Anywhere else I've lived the addresses were listed.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times
Oh well--click on the schools--that at least gives you an idea of the area you're looking in for the house. Sorry it didn't work out!

C

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM

482 posts, read 991,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
So there's some type of ban on showing property addresses on MLS sites here? Hmm... I noticed they never are listed, but I just figured that was the individual agencies making the call. Anywhere else I've lived the addresses were listed.
Yep, unfortunately. About a year and a half ago, some agents raised a fuss because they thought showing addresses were taking away from their sales calls, so they made a push to get them removed from public sites. It passed. Since then, there's been a couple of votes, and it's denied every time.

I wish we could show them so that the mapping technology could be utilized, but no one wants to listen to me! We are the only MLS I've ever seen that does not publicly display addresses for active homes.

While we're at it, why don't we just take all of the listings off line and go back to the weekly books?

Maybe one day.....

Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 AM

262 posts, read 793,972 times
I guess I will have to continue to dog the realtors and ask for each MLS sheet...LOL

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
That sucks. Guess I'm glad I'm not house hunting. I bought a house from my father when my wife and I moved back here so I didn't have to hunt really. But anywhere else we've lived, we checked the listings, wrote down addresses and rode around on Saturday getting a feel for different areas before calling an agent about specific ones we wanted to see the inside of. If I were hunting now, not knowing the addresses would certainly slow down our home hunting process needlessly and force us to bug realtors before we're serious about looking. That's silly.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
Jeez - absurd. I'm always irritated when realtors don't put an address on an online listing. Thankfully, its uncommon here in DC.

No wonder my wife and I had trouble finding houses when we were surveying Huntsville a few weeks ago.

I absolutely love GIS solutions for real estate - there are a couple sites like trulia.com that will give you a map showing homes for sale, as well as recent home sales and prices. This gives you a great perception of what a house you're interested in is worth, not to mention the ability to quickly find neighborhoods in your price range.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,644 times
For your MLS, is there a distinction between the different types of MLS data feeds where one may contain the address data but the other does not?

Typically there is the "IDX" data which does not include address information, does not contain 100% of the listing in the MLS and can be shown to the public without any restriction or registration. This is generally the type of data you see on Realtor.com and others.

Then there is the "VOW" data which contains the entire MLS data set, and includes all property attributes including addresses but requires that the viewer be registered by the broker who is disclosing the listing information. The idea being that there should be the same level of "virtual" relationship between client and Realtor as there would be in an 'office-based' one.

Does your MLS offer both types of data?

By the way, regardless of the what your local MLS and Realtor association decides, the recent agreement reached between NAR and the DoJ may preempt list display and sharing rules....so don't worry, better days are ahead.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
there are a couple sites

If you haven't yet, check out www.PropertyMaps.com Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Condos for Sale ...it blows away Trulia and the like. I don't think Huntsville or even Alabama are on the map yet...but hopefully soon.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilville View Post
If you haven't yet, check out Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Condos for Sale | PropertyMaps Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Condos for Sale ...it blows away Trulia and the like. I don't think Huntsville or even Alabama are on the map yet...but hopefully soon.
I just checked it out. It didn't have my home for sale in Colorado. Trulia did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area