Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times

Advertisements

Well we had a very good morning--though this day came too soon for us as we weren't finished up north till June 13th. We opted to drive our 14 year old to school as it fairly close and let her ride the bus home so she could see where the stop is.

The drive to our daughter's Madison City middle school was very smooth. One police officer stopped a speeder as we entered our main thoroughfare (good for him!). It took about 6 minutes to drive and drop my daughter at the gym door. The teachers and staff were outside and all ran very efficiently.

On the way back, we noticed a lot more cars (we left early--first day jitters for my girl). And we were behind the HS bus. It stopped about 4 times along the way until we parted company. My total time on the road, from garage to school and back in garage less than 20 minutes with only one light. I was THRILLED.

School pick up is 3:27pm for us. But my daughter will ride bus, see how long it takes and then we'll adjust schedules accordingly.

I hope everyone had a great morning. I will post the ride back this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,031 times
The first day is so hard when you are new to a school and especially being your daughter's age. I was a military kid and I know what it is like. I transferred to a new school at the beginning of the 4th quarter of my junior year in high school. Before that I had moved every 2-3 years of my life. She'll be fine. The girls always love to get to know the new girl!

Heritage Elem. was pretty crazy in the parking lot this morning. I know it will take a few weeks to calm down. The kids seemed actually excited to go to school even though it is a new school for them.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times
Yeah--there is a buzz of excitement in the air the first days of school. Things still need to get shaken out, but I can't wait to hear about her day.

Thanks for your kind, empathetic words. In my heart I know she'll be fine, but it is a whole new world for her. I'll be curious to see what she does with this opportunity.

I'm actually one of those parents who isn't eager to send them back to school--even though we both agreed that she needed peers -- soon! I always miss her--and the summer break was very short with a move in and unpacking/decorating/painting/shopping for a house--not a typical break for her. School might be a good alternative after all that hustling!

Heritage is in Madison? Is it new? What time did they start?

How old are your children?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 AM

262 posts, read 793,972 times
It went very smoothly, even considering I was one of the parents that decided to park and take my 1st grader into her classroom. Her class is on the other side from the drop-off lane, so she did not know how to get there. I'm just hoping she remembers her car number for pick-up this afternoon...LOL. She is still not great about identifying our vehicle in the line.

They have this drop-off/pick-up stuff down at her school. I was completely unprepared for it being so organized (in a good way). Her last school was a little more relaxed about the whole thing, although it did make it seem a little friendlier. Here, it's very systematic--drive up, wait for the cue, get out, shut the door, kid scoots off quickly, cars wait for the "Go" sign, and then you get out of dodge. Sometimes I wonder if anyone even says "good morning" to her on the way in, KWIM?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Heritage is on County Line rd. They started at 7:40. Last year they didn't start until 9:00! I have 3 boys-grades 1,2 and 6. They too did not get out of school last year until June 13th. Then we moved and are in temp. housing. We have a contract on a house in Oakstone and there they would go to W. Madison. My realtor called yesterday saying we may get an offer this week. If that is the case and I hope it is because I want to sell the kids will have to switch schools. After going to 3 nights of open house at Heritage I love it and don't want to take them out but it doesn't look like I'll have a choice.

I'm just hoping Oakstone won't go to Mill Creek if they are going to annexed to H'ville. The reason we chose this area is to have them go to Bob Jones.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
Well our bus didn't show up, so we have to drive our daughter to school. I think she was more apprehensive with us there. The parking lot was a nightmare, but she seemed happy. It's her first day of Kindergarten.

I've been assured that the bus will in fact be bringing her home. Keeping my fingers crossed that the home trip goes more smoothly than the pick up!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM

They LOVED it! They actually want to go back tomorrow!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

262 posts, read 793,972 times
Well, afternoon pick-up wasn't as smooth...LOL. The double line of cars was out to the road, and it took me 45 minutes to get through it. And, of course, lots of Kindy moms were getting out of the cars to go around and put their child in their seat and buckle them. I know that it takes some of those kids some time to get used to doing it themselves, so maybe that won't be an everyday occurrence. And, hopefully, some of those parents in that long line will put their kids on buses tomorrow...LOL

Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
The car lines do get better. Just give it a few weeks and it will be running a lot smoother and a lot less car riders.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Below are shots of the morning drop off. Not bad, lots of cars but the morning lines seemed to move. I don't think I've ever felt 79F, 80% humidity at 7:15AM before - interesting. Staff was pleasant. School and landscaping looked spiffy. Lots of hot moms.

Later, my wife had to wait 70 minutes in line to pick them up. Tomorrow, we'll just drop them off at the bus stop.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/DSC_4222.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area