Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,589,334 times

Advertisements

I heard yesterday that the Madison City school district is eliminating the fall break in October next yr and starting school 1 week later to compensate. Is this true? We were looking forward to that break starting in 09 (this year it is a trip up to the Orthodontist and visit with friends--next year we planned a real vacation). Any rate, anyone know if this is the case and, if so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Did you call the school and ask them? What did they say?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM

I won't bother the school about this subject for at least two weeks. They have bigger fish to fry right now. My daughter heard it from her composition teacher--must be some legs to it. If so, I'd like to know why--figured I'd ask here first before bothering the school system--they're still figuring out bus routes and schedules.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 AM

426 posts, read 1,273,414 times
I don't have the answer to your question, but there has been a push to start school later (like the good ol' days when we were in school) In the last five years or so, they had two weeks for Fall Break (and I believe Spring break too) but IIRC, they were starting school before the assessment test data was available and, I assume, that caused placement problems for the schools and students. I'm pretty sure that one year the first day of school was something like July 31.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

That's what I figured as well. With so many "anticipated" BRAC/MDA transfers, that'll be easier to get then in if the start date is later. My daughter said, too bad--we did it--haha--but it makes sense to start a bit later--July 31 is super early.

BTW, Madison has the longest number of school days compared to many/rest of the nation.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM

280 posts, read 686,889 times
I have never understood getting out in early -mid May and going back the hottest month of the year. When I was growing up (70's-80's) in Maine we got out mid-late June (depending on snow days) and never went back before Labor Day. We did not have a fall break, only Christmas and Spring.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,414 times
Last year in Savannah they started after Labor day. That was the first year of doing that. The kids got out June 13. I think the reasoning for it is that it is cheaper to air condition the school in early June than in mid August.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 AM

WE came from a school district that had a June 13/mid June last day and a Tues. after Labor Day start. I have no problem with that--been doing it for years. But our Winter Break length depended upon where Christmas Day fell. We only have 2 weeks off or less (once it was less than 10 days) and the kids went back to school Jan 2. Awful! They're tired, we're tired, and so on. But that was because of all the teacher workdays, Federal Holidays etc. I wasn't sad to get away from that weird month in Jan. You go back Jan 2... then have MLK Day off and two teacher workdays off at the end of January because that is when the quarter ended and they use that to grade/plan/report cards out. With weather interfering, it's pretty much a wasted month. I don't think anyone, teachers, parents or students, liked it.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,607 times
You know, at first I thought the school schedule here was weird - where I come from school starts in September and ends in mid-June.

After experiencing the schedule here, I actually find I like it better. It's not as traditional, true, but really, I don't find that I ache to have my kids home in August. I've heard people complain that they don't like school starting in August because it's "too hot". In my opinion, who cares if it's hot when they are in an air-conditioned classroom all day? On the contrary, when they are home and it's 100+ outside, I find I don't know what to do with them. I'm happier to enjoy school off during the end of May and June and a nice week off in October. But that's just me.

Sorry, no answer to your question though.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,414 times
I have never heard of a fall break before coming here. I think it might be nice. If my house sells maybe we can actually take a vacation since we did absolutely nothing this summer. Another thing I like about this schedule is that there are no half days. On half days my kids would do a little work in the morning, watch a movie, eat lunch then go outside. They just seemed pointless and there were many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area