Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:35 PM

122 posts, read 354,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanqueen View Post
Speaking of non-progressive....have you ever lived in Pittsburgh? Their liquor laws are so ancient! I think they're run by the Mafia! Just kidding! And the builders do not like to build anything out of the ordinary. Very stodgy!

From what I know about Ohio after living there for years, I can't imagine Huntsville being more progressive than Cincinnati but I may be wrong. I've found that alot of smaller communities in the South are kind of behind the times. I used to live outside of Knoxville in the mid 90's and they still let people smoke in the grocery stores. Pittsburgh has been trying to get this smoking ban for months now but there are so many smokers here. How is Huntsville regarding smoking in restaurants, offices, etc?
Wow. I can't say I have seen anyone smoke in an office...ever. I am 33 and can't imagine what it would be like trying to work with someone next to you smoking.

The smoking ban here is great. I can actually take my family places and not have to worry about wafting smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 270,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Honestly, unless you know the OP personally, I can't see how you could "know" that HSV is the better choice for them. New flash, HSV is not the most progressive city in the world either, ask any of our residents who have moved here from the Northeast or West coasts. I hear transplants complain about it constantly.

For a brick home in good school districts, look in Florence, Burlington, Union, Alexandria in NKY. I don't think you'll find any appreciable price difference compared to comparable areas in HSV. I don't know the Ohio side suburbs well enough to comment.

I've driven up there in the snow many times. They actually have equipment to deal with it and they don't close every bridge when there is a slight chance of snow. Unless the OP was to live on top of Mt Adams or Mt Lookout (which they won't because they want acreage), I really doubt they would be driving up the hills during a snowstorm.

As I said, I prefer HSV, but the blanket statements people make about cities on these boards forces me to defend places that I am familiar with.

I live in Ohio. We don't always deal with the ice. At low,low temps, nothing works on ice. You don't have to be on a hill to spin. We have some problems.

We also have problems with the way schools are funded. Many of our schools have gone into state control(suburban as well as urban).That said,
the OP mentioned being older. I know of more than a few older folk who have moved to HSV and been very happy. More folk retire in Huntsville (and stay )than cincy. Check the stats on this site. Last but not least, no city is above complaints. That just shows you that we all need to do some extensive homework before relocating.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM

18 posts, read 88,578 times
Default job is actually in Anniston

Actually I'll be working in Anniston, if I accept this job. I have heard some not so good things about groundwater contamination in Anniston. What's that all about? How safe is it to live there? If I live about 20 miles outside of Anniston, what's a good location? East, west, north, south of Anniston?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 AM

81 posts, read 270,013 times
Default Birmingham

Quote:
Actually I'll be working in Anniston, if I accept this job. I have heard some not so good things about groundwater contamination in Anniston. What's that all about? How safe is it to live there? If I live about 20 miles outside of Anniston, what's a good location? East, west, north, south of Anniston?
Birmingham is 60 miles away,southwest. It is 45 minutes away, depending on how fast you drive. Of course It is a big city with nice suburbs that put you even closer to Anniston.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 PM

I don't want to live in a big city. I'm looking for acreage and probably a 30 minute drive from Anniston somewhere out in the country but I didn't know which direction would be best.

How about the contamination problem I've read about?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:
I don't want to live in a big city. I'm looking for acreage and probably a 30 minute drive from Anniston somewhere out in the country but I didn't know which direction would be best.

How about the contamination problem I've read about?
You may want to post in the general AL forum or the Birmingham forum for info about Anniston. Anniston is pretty far from HSV.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Okay I can do that.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,691 times
Smile choose Huntsville

Quote:
I had an interview for a job in Cincinnati and in the Huntsville area too. They are both good, well-paying jobs. I'm torn on which one to take. How is the housing market in Huntsville as far as acreage/land availability? I am originally from Ohio so I know alot about that area but have never lived in Alabama so I'm not familiar with housing prices, cost of living, things to do for an older couple with no kids.

My mother-in-law lives in Huntsville and they love it. Like any big city, they have their problem areas but Huntsville is a great city to live in and very beautiful area. I do not know much about Cincy. I grew up in Alabama and now live in Indiana. If Ohio is like Indiana, then Huntsville is definitely the place I would choose. I am moving back to Alabama when I retire. I hope this helps. God Bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area