Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,860,541 times

Advertisements

Before all of you start buzzing your negative comments, I want to know why isn't Decatur growing at a nice rate? Traveling along I-65 in Decatur seems a little rural for a city of just shy of 60,000 residents. In onther words, in my opinion, Decatur 's growth seems to contrast with Huntsville's growth! What is holding Decatur back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,975,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Before all of you start buzzing your negative comments, I want to know why isn't Decatur growing at a nice rate? Traveling along I-65 in Decatur seems a little rural for a city of just shy of 60,000 residents. In onther words, in my opinion, Decatur 's growth seems to contrast with Huntsville's growth! What is holding Decatur back?
My 10 second guess is no Redstone Arsenal and Cummings Research Park and the associated jobs in it's backyard. If you work at Redstone or in Cummings, why live in Decatur when you can live in Huntsville or Madison?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 AM

23,666 posts, read 70,767,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
<snip>... I want to know why isn't Decatur growing at a nice rate? Traveling along I-65 in Decatur seems a little rural for a city of just shy of 60,000 residents. ...<snip>... What is holding Decatur back?
Perhaps because Decatur is NOT located on I-65?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,480,958 times
Well, SOME of Decatur is on I-65, but it's a rather rural area. Get off the interstate and you'll find the rest of Decatur.
Also, Charles, Decatur has its own industrial base. Here's a sampling: http://www.mceda.org/default.aspx?id=47 (broken link) and http://www.mceda.org/default.aspx?id=46 (broken link) . Most Decatur residents don't work in Huntsville. Some do, yes, but a very small percentage.

What's holding Decatur back is our schools. We have had a heavy influx of Latinos over the past 10 years - legal and illegal. Most of the children come into the school knowing NO English. Just in the past couple of years are the teen-agers actually staying in high school long enough to graduate. We have a couple of elementary schools where English is spoken as a native language by less than 20% of the student body. So, you have teachers having to teach the kids English before they can even begin to teach reading, writing, arithmetic and all the other stuff that schools have to teach now.

The fact that we are still under an integration court order more severe than Huntsville's does NOT help. We can't build a school or change school attendance zones without federal court approval...and they take years to approve or deny anything. So you'd better choose your residence location carefully, to get into the right schools. Of course, that's true everywhere.

It wasn't always like this. Our schools used to be rated second only to Mountain Brook's.

Last edited by Southlander; 02-08-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area