Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times

Advertisements

Decatur is already a town or city, depending on the definition...not an unincorporated area or 'floating' community.

Now the area might benefit from such a move, but I'm not sure Huntsville taxes would bring about much in the way of actual improvements down there. Decatur may want to hold on to the identity it already has and build on the name. Not everyone wants to march in the parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
Noooooo!

OK, I typed out this spiel last night but deleted it, figured I was wasting my time...but now, dear, I'm going to express myself.

Do not take offense as none is intended.

You speak of Atlanta as a goal for Huntsville to achieve, yet it sounds as though you've never been there.
I lived in Georgia quite some time ago, right around the period where they started the insane construction of the overpasses and airport upgrades...
it was a NIGHTMARE to drive and many parts of Ratlanta still are.

I suggest that you take a trip and travel over yonder, hang out...visit the cool micro-communities (part of what makes the city tick), have a burger in Little Five Points, go see a show downtown...all great things to do.

But then, promise me you'll get on the interstate at somewhere nearing 4:30 pm on a weekday - though weekends are rough, too - but do not have any immediate plans...because you will be stuck on the freeway for a minimum of 45 minutes without moving more than 30 feet.

If you want to live in the city proper, you have the option of true metro - mass transit. The bus or the train will get you so far...but if you wish to enjoy the SPRAWL, that means you're in the burbs and the train does NOT go there.
You must then sit idle, fumes rising as your soul rots away. Every day or your life.

Now, let's suggest you come up to Huntsville after your excursion to Greater Metro, and compare. See what a major overhaul it would be to bring us anywhere near to that and consider the damage done.

We have a natural resource, beloved by most residents, that would be lost behind those skyscrapers. The easy view of those hills, which may be the o.n.l.y. thing that will save minds as they battle the eventual traffic, will be something you have to LEAVE the city to see.

The countryside is a bonus, not a negative to be cemented over.

There are farms within the city limits...heck - I have friends in the Providence area that have a farm right behind them in the neat brick cookie-cutter suburb they call home. And they much prefer the view they have now over that of an apartment complex/condo/strip mall, which is what will happen to that glorious field if SPRAWL goes ape****.

I live on the side of a very large hill, almost at the bottom but high enough to make my engine race. Wonderful spot. I have nothing but deer and trees and more trees behind me and behind that a State Park. The last thing I want for this neighborhood, not just myself, is another planned community, traffic lights, BOOM BOOM BOOM and a Dollar General in between me and that.

I don't hear Huntsville speak of green-spaces, but that has to be included as part of the planning or we have lost everything...and I'm moving.

I agree, organization is a step forward. Progress is good. Commerce is GREAT. But what you may not understand is that there are already buildings unoccupied or oblivious, a downtown that is slow during the week and dead on Sunday, shops that close at 6pm and no real demand as of yet that they remain open later.

Atlanta is 24/7. Huntsville is not. To get there, you first need the customer at a steady pace to warrant the effort, not the other way around - not in THIS town.

So come up and see for yourself, then you'll understand the scoffs.

Last edited by 33458; 01-23-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: KEEPER - slightly O/T. Sorry. ;)

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Hmmm, what a disappointment this thread has turned out to be - in the last few posts anyhow. Seems to me the original thread idea was "What's Decatur Like".

So, What is Decatur like? I am sincerely about to relocate here - not relocating to Atlanta et al, and want to know about this area! any help is appreciated!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
See my post on page 1. I'll be happy to answer any other questions. Welcome!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Thanks, Southlander. Your information was great! I dm'd you then, but just now noticed I did not thank you in this thread! Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM

234 posts, read 708,669 times
Decatur will simply never be a suburb. For a city to be a suburb of another city, that other city has to be the main reason the suburban city came to be or sprang to life. That isn't the case with Huntsville and Decatur, or Huntsville and Athens. As I'm sure you've read in some of my posts, Decatur will be more like Fort Worth, Saint Paul or Tacoma.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Athens may be more of suburb to Huntsville than Decatur.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM

25 posts, read 72,403 times
i really hope it gets built soon

Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
At one time, Decatur had railroad shops owned by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, but they were closed in the 1930s. They were near the railroad yard.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 AM

252 posts, read 321,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hmmm, what a disappointment this thread has turned out to be - in the last few posts anyhow. Seems to me the original thread idea was "What's Decatur Like".

So, What is Decatur like? I am sincerely about to relocate here - not relocating to Atlanta et al, and want to know about this area! any help is appreciated!
I lived in decatur for 10 years and I like Huntsville better. However, I played golf at Burningtree (Indian Hills subdivision) yesterday and it is a great area. If you move to Decatur, you need to check out Indian Hills. It is on the border of Decatur and Priceville and I never knew such a nice area existed. Worth a look IMHO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area