Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,791,327 times

Advertisements

So I am enjoying this city! It's been fun to explore. Some fun things:

- I've had no problem finding all the goofy California grocery items I thought I'd have to live without! Between Target, Publix, and Fresh Market, I can get my meatless sausages and corndogs, sweet potato pancake mix, small-brand vegetarian frozen meals, kosher items, challah, organic ANYTHING, sushi (even California rolls), and more!

- I love that while there are still anti-war demonstrations, Huntsville cranks it up a notch by there being an anti-anti-war demonstration on the opposite corner to balance it out. So fun.

- I love that the synagogue's Hebrew class has over THREE TIMES the enrollment of a Hebrew class in California. Mind you, they aren't necessarily all Jews in the class, but the enthusiasm is there.

- It cracks me up that all the radio announcers still sound like those voices from California reading commercials and bumper talk, yet there's still some sort of Alabama "Rick and Bubba" guys making fun of Al Gore on the rock station? Then the standard-radio-voice bumps in and starts making announcements. Cracks me up.

- I love that everyone here not only understands what it is my husband does for a living when they ask (engineer - defense work), but intimately understands it. Even our CAR SALESWOMAN went off on a tangent about how she used to own a little defense contract company with her engineer friend?

- I love how the temperature can make a precipitous drop in a day. Very new to me!

- I love how you can step a few blocks away from a major street and find a house that looks like its in the woods.

- I love how almost everyone you meet has an interesting story, have come from so many different places, etc.

I've also taken my kids to a beautiful park, we've eaten at some good restaurants, and how after 30 years of living in the same area, everything is now something for me to explore.

I really think this is a kind of neat town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Jenn, you're just a blast of fresh air! It's wonderful to hear some positive and enthusiastic reactions to our area instead of complaints and whining! Glad you are enjoying your new surroundings!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
And once she has explored Htsvl, there is B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta, Chattanooga, and all the little towns and cities around, along with boating on the Tennessee, camping on Lookout Mtn, and ... oops. Better learn to be quiet. Durned chicken house smells, durn ticks, durn New York sewage...

Old 10-12-2007, 01:32 PM

182 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I love how the temperature can make a precipitous drop in a day. Very new to me!
Weather.com is your friend.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new area so far. I agree one of the great things about moving to a new areas is that well, everything is NEW. Lots to explore, new things to do. I was worried that would wear off fast but I’ve been here 2 years and am still finding plenty of new things and still have a looong list of things I want to do/see that I haven’t yet. Getting up to Huntsville is one of them!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,931 times
ZJ: (my new nickname for you!)

Glad all is well....you have arrived at the best time of year...So glad to hear you are getting well connected at the synagogue....there's nothing like that bond....

Huntsville is a great place to work and live...I think you will enjoy it very much.

Let us know how we can assist here....

John

Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
Weather.com is your friend.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new area so far. I agree one of the great things about moving to a new areas is that well, everything is NEW. Lots to explore, new things to do. I was worried that would wear off fast but I’ve been here 2 years and am still finding plenty of new things and still have a looong list of things I want to do/see that I haven’t yet. Getting up to Huntsville is one of them!
Hi SoCal:

I strongly suggest that you subscribe to Birmingham Magazine. There is no better way to learn the 'ins and outs' of the area. A beautiful publication....

Birmingham Interactive

Go to "Virtual City Tour" on the left side of the main page...you can "ask questions" like "Where can I buy organic food?" and get an interactive answer....

There is also a list of Wifi connections etc.

Spend a few minutes on it and let me know what you think....the actual publication itself is beautiful and very informative.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Have ya stopped by Humphrey's Bar & Grill? Great vittles, service, and tunes.

Enjoyed also the times at the past Big Spring Jam XV, listening to many varied acts.

There is also this - check it out for next year's events: Huntsville Arts Council - Concerts in the Park (http://www.artshuntsville.org/Concerts+in+the+Park.aspx?Page=3c689433-52a2-44dc-923f-f11d367c979f - broken link)

Found this site to be handy: Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitor's Bureau Website (http://www.huntsville.org/calendar.php - broken link) and Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitor's Bureau Website (http://www.huntsville.org/events.php - broken link)

Durn, I miss that area...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Have ya stopped by Humphrey's Bar & Grill? Great vittles, service, and tunes.

Enjoyed also the times at the past Big Spring Jam XV, listening to many varied acts.

There is also this - check it out for next year's events: Huntsville Arts Council - Concerts in the Park (http://www.artshuntsville.org/Concerts+in+the+Park.aspx?Page=3c689433-52a2-44dc-923f-f11d367c979f - broken link)

Found this site to be handy: Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitor's Bureau Website (http://www.huntsville.org/calendar.php - broken link) and Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitor's Bureau Website (http://www.huntsville.org/events.php - broken link)

Durn, I miss that area...

Awesome burger at Humphrey's and good fish tacos. It is probably my favorite bar overall, basically because of the patio and live music of all kinds. You never know what they will be playing: rock, country, reggae, blues... Everybody seems to go to Humphrey's, regardless of age, social "class", race... I think that is pretty cool. However, you can't go there with kids, even at lunch because of the Huntsville smoking ordinance.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Awesome burger at Humphrey's and good fish tacos. It is probably my favorite bar overall, basically because of the patio and live music of all kinds. You never know what they will be playing: rock, country, reggae, blues... Everybody seems to go to Humphrey's, regardless of age, social "class", race... I think that is pretty cool. However, you can't go there with kids, even at lunch because of the Huntsville smoking ordinance.
lol - yea, great place . However, tad confused regarding your last statement, as took the critters there few times, during lunch and even to see the Alabama Blues Brothers one evening. However, this plus two years ago, so, maybe things changed?

Hmmmm,,,, road trip!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
About 2 years ago the city couldn't get an outright smoking ban passed, so they ended up passing a partial ban. The ordinance says that if an establishment allows smoking, then no one under 19 can enter. It doesn't matter if they are with an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area