Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

For those who're interested. Northrop Grumman is having a Engineering Job Fair in Huntsville. As a FYI, NGC has announced its intention to staff up its new Huntsville office, so for anyone who's looking for a job/ change, this is worthwhile to look into. The event is after-work hour as well.

Quote:
Please join us at our upcoming Invitational Engineering Career Event!

Tuesday, February 24 & Thursday, February 26
5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
301 Voyager Way • Huntsville, AL

Northrop Grumman Information Systems is currently seeking qualified candidates for the following positions located in Huntsville, AL:

• Software Engineering
• Systems Engineering
• Electrical Engineering
• Test and Evaluation Engineering
• Contract/Subcontract Administration
• General Administration

For more information on our invitational event and to learn more about job specifics and qualifications, visit: meetngc.com
More information can be obtained at
http://www.meetngc.com/EventJobs.aspx?EID=66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,490 times
HB2HSV, Thanks for the info. I have a friend in Nashville that wants his son to relocate to Huntsville from CA...I'm passing this along to them

Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
What is the average pay for a software test engineer in Huntsville?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
What is the average pay for a software test engineer in Huntsville?

How many years experience?
How much relevant, in demand skills?
Clearance?

Wouldn't be far off to guess anywhere from $60K to $130K.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
About 8-10 years experience.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM

379 posts, read 849,553 times
Anyone go to the NG job fair? Just wondering how the turnout was.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Hubby went. He's an electrical engineer currently employed but always on the lookout for new prospects. We didn't talk much as I was tired and really not interested in this subject. But he said that there were people actually interviewing (had submitted their resume prior to the event), the positions were highly technical (or rather very specific to what NG does), and he was asked if he was willing to relocate to California (no way, Jose, we stay put here). That's about all we talked, again I did not get into many details, because I was not interested and it seemed to me he was not interested to share either.
Just a few people showed up (as in a few dozens - Tuesday), but not as many as one would think for a job fair.

My thoughts on this: either engineers are not as much out of job as the rest of the population is, or the event was not advertised enough to attract people...or other reasons I can't think of...

Last edited by friday13; 03-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
That's about all we talked, again I did not get into many details, because I was not interested and it seemed to me he was not interested to share either.
Sometimes it's difficult to explain some of those finer "highly technical" aspect of job to your spouse. Often we see glazes in your eyes once we said "network centric sprial development...."

Quote:
Just a few people showed up (as in a few dozens - Tuesday), but not as many as one would think for a job fair.

My thoughts on this: either engineers are not as much out of job as the rest of the population is, or the event was not advertised enough to attract people...or other reasons I can't think of...
I'd say majority of engineers in the Huntsville are employeed. We had a meeting with Huntville chamber of commerce recently and was quoted that the unemployment rate of a degreed engineer in this area is 0.2%. Actually there were a couple of hundreds job openings went unfilled last year. Basically any engineer who wants to have a job has a job. This is a good position to be in for us.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
I was a recruiter in my pc(pre children) life, here are my observations for what they are worth...

There are several things at work here. As HB2HSV pointed out the unemployment rates are low for engineers, but if you held a job fair for any other discipline(manufacturing, sales, whatever), you would get people from all over the place looking for jobs, you will also get people that are employed and looking to upgrade-or possibly upgrade so it is not only that. If those same jobs were to be advertised on monster.com, you would get people applying that were nowhere near qualified-same in a local job fair for other types of positions(recent or soon to be grads for positions that require experience, people with experience but no degree, etc, etc), you would get people that are employed and seeing what is out there, the whole gambit.

The biggest thing is that engineers and job fairs don't mix. DH has been to one in his life-in college It is just like "sales engineer" is an oxymoron I married an engineer, my daughter has an engineering personality, so I am not trying to put anyone down and I am not saying always, but MOST engineers will avoid social situations like the plague, especially ones that involve nothing but strangers.

Secondary is that engineers tend to be more loyal(almost to a fault). They are less likely to change jobs until they are forced to. My experience has been that calling an engineer and trying to convince them to switch to another position is more difficult than pulling teeth-even when you are offering more money, better benefits....It can be done, but it tends to be more time consuming. You are more likely to be heard with electrical and mechanical than any other type of engineer...don't know why, just the personalities that are attracted to each position I am sure.

Just my 2 cents YMMV

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How many years experience?
How much relevant, in demand skills?
Clearance?

Wouldn't be far off to guess anywhere from $60K to $130K.
She being KE111691's cousin, I'd say we'll start salary negotiation at $60K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area