Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 04:56 PM

36 posts, read 92,112 times

Advertisements

Ok, thinking about purchasing a new "used" car. Don't want to buy a new car. Has anyone had any experience as of late in the car industry around the area? You hear of these dealers and people getting these great deals, but after looking at two cars in Nashville and getting NOWHERE with the dealers, I have to question that. Both cars I looked at there were THOUSANDS over NADA and KBB valuations, and the dealers basically told me to have a nice day. The dealerships were empty but they really didn't seem interested in negotiating at all.
I am not considering any American made cars. Mainly a BMW, Toyota, or an Audi. If a Mercedes that was priced low enough popped up, I would consider that but I am not holding my breath!
Also, I have noticed most of the cars are priced ABOVE NADA, KBB, and Edmunds. I just refuse in a down economy to pay MORE than what they are valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM

298 posts, read 716,316 times
If you want a good deal and you are willing to drive, you might check around the Atlanta area. I think that's a better area deal wise. I found many different cars there for hundreds to thousands less in general when I was researching my own used car purchase. It's really not that bad a drive, and you can shorten it by taking the back roads.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkarma View Post
You hear of these dealers and people getting these great deals, but after looking at two cars in Nashville and getting NOWHERE with the dealers, I have to question that. Both cars I looked at there were THOUSANDS over NADA and KBB valuations, and the dealers basically told me to have a nice day. The dealerships were empty but they really didn't seem interested in negotiating at all.

Also, I have noticed most of the cars are priced ABOVE NADA, KBB, and Edmunds. I just refuse in a down economy to pay MORE than what they are valued.

I could make the same statements about the real estate. I've come to expect not to hold my breath now about the "good" deals in the housing market. Sellers/dealers are either delusional with their asking price (no much wiggle room downwards there), or out of touch with reality, or both, or I am too (buyers).

We've been fed these "get these good deals now" bits for quite some time now in this economy, that I've come to wonder whether it is really true. We as buyers might have to come to terms it may not be true in our "healthy" LOCAL economy.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

48 posts, read 147,891 times
A lot of dealers are getting squeezed and will soon go under. There are two possible responses to this:
- try to increase sales by accepting lower margins
- accept that you won't sell many cars and try to make massive margins on the few suckers who come along

Overall you won't find very good deals in Huntsville, partly b/c the economy here is doing better than in other parts of the country. I second the vote on looking in Atlanta. Even Birmingham or Nashville (despite your previous experiences) will prove better.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM

190 posts, read 413,167 times
Default Double second that!

I concur with the other two posters who suggest Atlanta for better deals (in cars, housing is still in a deflating bubble there). I found the HSV car salesmen to be a bit arrogant whenever you try to make a deal, actually all of them are a bit rude, but maybe less willing to negotiate here than in Atlanta. I bought my last three cars in Atlanta- BMW, Honda and another Bimmer most recently.

The last purchase was at a small independent lot. I think they have lower salaries and much less overhead so making a deal (more like a steal) was easy and pleasant. As long as you get the car checked out, you can get a good deal at the smaller lots, IMHO.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,703 times
I would check carmax (not the lowest prices, but fixed price with no negotiation) and auto trader to get an idea of dealer prices. Carmax will establish a reasonable price, and then the very cheapest prices on auto trader are usually pretty good (search a 200 mile radius and put an upper price limit slightly above what you want to pay). There are usually quite a few cars on Auto Trader that have been marked down considerably.

The best deal will always be from a private seller rather than a dealer, so I would look in the newspaper, craigslist, and the print version (not online) of auto trader for individual sellers.

Also I recommend CarFax before you make a decision to buy any used car.

If you do end up needing to negotiate with a dealer, try doing it by email or fax. Notify them 1st thing in the morning by email or fax that you plan to buy a car today, make an offer for a complete drive-off price (taxes, inventory fees, etc. all included), and give them the fax number or email address for a reply. If they won't negotiate this way, forget them and go to the next dealer. Negotiating in person is not worth the hassle.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 92,112 times
I am seeing much better deals in ATL. I actually found TWO cars exactly what I want. I submitted a very fair online offer to one dealer...the car was actually listed under KBB and NADA by several thousand, which is the complete opposite of what I am seeing in our area. I am not driving to ATL without knowing they are negotiable. Tired of wasting my time with these dealers!

And, you are right. Car salesmen here are very arrogant I have found. Went to Century...they basically told me they weren't in any hurry to sell the car I was looking at. Wonder if they will feel the same way in a few months....

and, I have definately narrowed it to the BMW 325ci or 330 ci. What an amazing car!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

190 posts, read 413,167 times
Default Try IQ Autos

Hey Karma -

Great choice on the 3 series . I got mine from IQ Autos in Roswell GA - you can google their webpage. Mine was an '06 4 door. They will provide the Carfax report before you sign. Part of their price is that some of them have been in minor fender benders. The carfax for mine showed it had hit a deer - but the repairs were top notch. I think the fender bender is partly why my 3 series was about $5-7k less than at a BMW dealer. Fine by me.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM

48 posts, read 147,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInHSV View Post
Hey Karma -

Great choice on the 3 series . I got mine from IQ Autos in Roswell GA - you can google their webpage. Mine was an '06 4 door. They will provide the Carfax report before you sign. Part of their price is that some of them have been in minor fender benders. The carfax for mine showed it had hit a deer - but the repairs were top notch. I think the fender bender is partly why my 3 series was about $5-7k less than at a BMW dealer. Fine by me.
I almost bought an S2000 from IQ Autos. The guy I spoke with was very nice, knowledgeable, and forthright about what had happened and what had been repaired on the car.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
They wouldn't move down low enough on a new car in the greater HSV area for me. Turns out when searching ATL I found a barely used car exactly the same as the new one I wanted here for a steal.

I say ATL or another large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area