Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,310 times

Advertisements

yeah, sounds like paranoia. Your neighbors probably don't like the fact that they're renters in their 20s with lots of friends that come and go. Young people do tend to have social lives and friends ya know...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM

173 posts, read 331,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
We've got some new neighbors that moved into a foreclosed house that went for rent 2 months ago. I'm not too close to my other neighbors but we have some casual conversations when out in our yards about these 2 kids (I'd say mid 20's), who I and others have categorized as engaging in suspicious behavior. They get a lot of visitors that seem to drop in at odd times and for short periods of time, all day and all night.

Now it seems that they're building some sort of room in the garage in the middle of the night with the garage door wide open. They got hardware, tools and equipment sprawled all over the front drive way all during the day and night as they build this thing in the garage. Some of the neighbors think that they're building some sort of meth lab but of course they're all to afraid to do or say anything about it to the authorities.

I thought about contacting Crime Stoppers and seeing what they say and I'm even afraid to report them as it could just be completely innocent or not, in which case I'm worried about retaliation if it was known that we complained or reported them.

Anybody have suggestions?

The odds of any kind of illegal/drug activity taking place with the door open is extremely minimal. As the others have said, make friends or if you're seriously concerned call the police dept., if you're not in Hsvl or Madison city limits call the Sheriff's office. Crime Stoppers, is an anonymous witness reward program for reporting the where abouts or identity of suspects law enforcement can't find, not LE 1st responders.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratze1 View Post
Probably just building a storage room. They are probably nice people, so go talk to 'em.
Refrigerated/cement storage room for you know what >> nosy neighbors

OP-did you see a chainsaw among their tools? Table saw? Pliers?
Hey, they're dismantling Guantanamo and housing prisoners all over the world. Some island nations "volunteered" to take them in. Could they make this a private enterprise some day?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 PM

205 posts, read 590,202 times
I would think that if they were building something to do with drugs, you would be able to SMELL something. We had a talk on meth here at the University, and they say that meth labs have a very distinctive smell. I know that marajuana has a distinctive smell, also, and I would imagine that if they were growing some, you would have stronger evidence. The fact that they leave their garage door open AT ALL makes me think that there is nothing illegal going on. Would you leave the door open if you were up to something that could get you put in jail?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Bathroom, closet? Man cave, work shop? I've known guys that were completely hooked-up in their garages; cable, A/C and toilet...maybe they've seen too many of those personal keg commercials lately.

Some how I think the frequent comings and goings are a separate issue from the construction. Might be mischief, but you said they're in their 20s? I was boppin' all over town at that age. Of course, I was full of mischief...

Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I understand meth smells like dirty feet. But if they're building a lab, they might not be making it yet.

Be suspicious as heck. Call the police!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Real simple...call police/sheriff.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM

79 posts, read 186,286 times
If you call the police, I would present your position as concern and you would appreciate the if the police will add an adtional patrol in your area. This keeps your perspective pure while not making a false accusation. Your concern is justified so ask the police for their thoughts and go from there.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Refrigerated/cement storage room for you know what >> nosy neighbors
Why waste refrigerants? Good fertilizer for plants!

I asked a CSI type at one time

Question: "how long will a dead body begin to decay here in Alabama?"

Answer: "They don't have to be dead to begin to decay here in Alabama!"

Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM

222 posts, read 581,397 times
Yoo Shin, get a girlfriend or boyfriend and stop watching your neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area