Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,134 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum. My husband and I are planning to make a trip to the Huntsville area this fall to see if we might possibly move there. I actually spent 5 years of my childhood living there, so I'm familiar with the area. My question is, how are Asian people accepted in the community? The reason I ask is that we are in the process of adopting a baby from China. Where we live now (near Dallas, TX), there are a lot of people who do this, so there is a lot of acceptance and support. And there is also a lot of diversity as far as people of different races living here, so it wouldn't be much of a problem for us if we were to stay where we are. But I really miss north Alabama and have wanted to move back there for years, so now we're considering it.

We plan on moving a little ways out of town and I wonder what the attitude would be from more rural areas. Would there possibly be problems for us? The reason I ask is that I remember from my childhood some people being prejudice of African Americans and Latinos (we lived in a rural area), but I never heard any mention of Asians and I don't remember seeing too many Asians in the area. What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
I have at least 5 friends here in Decatur who have adopted Asian children - one of the children is now 27. The others are youngsters. They've been lovingly welcomed.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,791,327 times
One of my best friends has two adopted children from China (and her children are best friends with my children), and I've had occasion to meet a few others. Actually there's a whole group for families with adoptees from China. They get together, study Chinese culture & language with their children, discuss their adoption experiences, etc. Anyways, my friend LOVES it here, and has commented on how much she loves how everyone treats she and her girls with such kindness when they take day trips outside of town.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 AM

Thank you so much for your input. I feel so relieved! I had found an organization online that meets like you talk about, but was still worried. Thank you both for putting my mind at ease.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 PM

205 posts, read 590,280 times
There are families that have adopted children of all races. I see them all over and I have yet to see anyone treating them any differently than other families. My husband has a friend that adopted two children from China. I haven't met the latest edition, but the older child was adorable. We went out to dinner with them at Christamas and had a great time. I don't think there is anything for you to worry about!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
Hello there, fellow forever family!

Northern Alabama has a few FCC groups, one right here in Huntsville and another for Madison...not as large as where we moved from or as 'elaborate' but still greater in number than you might think. Feel free to PM and I'll give you the straight dope.

There is not a huge Asian community here but there IS.

One reason we avoided the smaller, waaaay more rural areas was the issue of my daughter possibly being the only Asian child, being uncertain how that would affect her interactions with the local community...novelty or target, wasn't interested in finding out, either way.

As for the Huntsville area, no issues besides the occasional comment you may come to find...misguided. But that happens everywhere.
I would strongly recommend that you visit - take time to poke around, get the feel for whatever community you have an interest in. Go in to the stores, the restaurants, the local attractions and see how comfortable you are with your reception. I have found most everyone to be quite welcoming. Good luck!

P.S.
Are you on the various adoption forums? Might see you there, too.

Trish

Last edited by 33458; 06-29-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
I met a Chinese lady who started a Saturday Chinese school for (mostly) kids to learn Chinese. She's in Huntsville.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Hello there, fellow forever family!

Northern Alabama has a few FCC groups, one right here in Huntsville and another for Madison...not as large as where we moved from or as 'elaborate' but still greater in number than you might think. Feel free to PM and I'll give you the straight dope.

There is not a huge Asian community here but there IS.

One reason we avoided the smaller, more rural areas was the issue of my daughter possibly being the only Asian child, being uncertain how that would affect her interactions with the local community...novelty or target, wasn't interested in finding out, either way.

As for the Huntsville area, no issues besides the occasional comment you may come to find...misguided. But that happens everywhere.
I would strongly recommend that you visit - take time to poke around, get the feel for whatever community you have an interest in. Go in to the stores, the restaurants, the local attractions and see how comfortable you are with your reception. I have found most everyone to be quite welcoming. Good luck!

P.S.
Are you on the various adoption forums? Might see you there, too.

Trish
Hello Trish (if that's your real name )

You may also want to consider calling local chinese churches as they offer Sunday school for kids. This will be a good opportunities for your kids to get to know other Chinese/ Amer-Asian kids, play & learn together (assuming you do not object them having a Christian education )

Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hello Trish (if that's your real name )

You may also want to consider calling local chinese churches as they offer Sunday school for kids. This will be a good opportunities for your kids to get to know other Chinese/ Amer-Asian kids, play & learn together (assuming you do not object them having a Christian education )
Was that for AG or me?

We'll forward that one to the OP...since I'm an atheist more interested in secular or diverse but 'religiously non-specific' exposure. Wow...my feet are tired from that dance.

(Trish)

Last edited by 33458; 06-29-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Thank you for all of your input. I'm glad to see I have nothing to worry about. How exciting about the Chinese school in Huntsville! And the FCC groups. As far as where we will live, I definitely want my children (I have one son right now) raised in the country with lots of acres to run around and explore. We plan on possibly even having a small farm (chickens, a goat, a pig, a garden and fruit trees).

We homeschool, so school issues won't be a problem as long as I find a good homeschool group that is accepting.

I'm not really on the adoption forums too much at this point. We are still assembling our Dossier, so we are at the very beginning of the process, but maybe in the future I'll be on the forums more. Thank you, thank you, thank you all for being so helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area