Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

166 posts, read 344,875 times

Advertisements

My husband can go live down there and we will stay here until our house sells or he can find a different job back here. There, no more stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
No more stress, eh? Separating the family is not stressful? Good luck to you. Sorry my hometown is not good enough. We'll work that much harder to make it right for you. Mkay?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
it's cool, but at some point, you'll just take the leap

i probably moved 20 times (counting apartment hopping) while in the military and after retirement

ever single time really sucked and every time i swore it was a deal breaker

things turned out fine though

Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
And my wife and I, both having served in the Army, spent many months separated. And I would rather move to the armpit of Hell together than to be separated from my family again. Just sayin...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
I'm not too sure what your situation is, but I think your decision to let hubby go on ahead and follow later is a wise one. Although being seperated for awhile is not pleasant, it can be the wisest decision. With today''s uncertain real estate market you don't know if your home will sell in a day or a year, also, you can't be too sure with a new job, I would at least wait until the probation period has passed before uprooting the whole family. keep a safe harbor in case things don't work out---good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Is the company going to pay to fly him back and forth? Are you alright with only seeing him twice or three times a month on weekends? How about the kids? (How about the husband?)

Mine did that for a short while before we uprooted and I was fine solo, but the truth is, you have to firm up what you as a unit are going to do. Either you are willing to make a go of it here or you aren't...wavering back and forth is going to drive the family crazy, not just you.

You need to take a vacation and COME here and look around. Not three days...a week. Twice.

You can't possibly determine what the area is all about by online sources only. Huntsville simply does not 'show' well that way. You have to be here and feel it - either you will or you won't, and then you'll know.

If husband is willing to drive, you might think about across the border in Tennessee...it is fairly close, considering the distances normally traveled for work in Florida.

Are you discussing other, alternative locations? Kinda silly for him to find work here if you don't really want him to.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
While I have lived in several different cities and central america, it was always because that was where the job was so we moved. We went to each one, sight unseen not knowing what the housing or the area. You make the best of it and enjoy what each area has to offer.

I hope your hubby declines the job as you will probably not be happy in H'ville. This is a great area but you have to give it a chance.

Good Luck

Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
While I have lived in several different cities and central america,.....
You worked for the CIA, eh?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Shhhh don't tell.. LOL

Close.. FAA but some CIA ppl lived in our village in Panama

Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
My husband can go live down there and we will stay here until our house sells or he can find a different job back here. There, no more stress.
Well... having a house to sell puts a whole another pressure on you. I can see that it's better that you stay and handle the house selling situation while your husband come down first to 'build' a nest for you and your dogs.

When we moved here, I came here first for a couple of months to get settled while my wife finish up her affairs back in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area