Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,513 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta and I hate it, but I can't go back home to Savannah because there's just not a job for an engineer there. Scouting out a few cities I'm really leaning toward Huntsville, but glancing through a few job listings I feel like I'm under-qualified to work there.

Can a recent college grad find a job in Huntsville? Or should I get a job somewhere else, then come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Well, have you

1) Identify who the potential employers might be?

2) Prepare & tailor your resume to outline your strengths and how you can be of value to a potential employer?

3) Do you know how to access their websites?

4) Have you send resumes to them ?

5) In addition to the above, do you have a strategy to explore job opportunities in this area? Such as attend local professional society meeting, local job fairs, get to know the people who works in your profession, and make phone calls?

6) Are you prepared to answer this question, "Why should I hire you?" ?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iteria View Post
should I get a job somewhere else, then come back?

DC might be a good place as you are (I assume) single, will most likely rent, can rent near work, isn't too far from your family in GA(???), won't need to worry about schools, and can target places where other singles live.

As good as Huntsville is for families, a lot of people have written posts about it being a little boring for single people.

DC, LA, HOU, Dallas, San Diego, Denver, San Jose, Seattle, BOS are all places you might really enjoy (and that have engineering jobs) while you have disposable time.

That's the way I would look at it having been in your shoes.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Look at this. Perfect for a young, single, recent engineering grad. Right near the beach.

Job Detail (http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getJobPostDetail.do?sequenceNumber=185497 - broken link)

Title: Engineer 1
Category: Engineering/Product Development
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA / USA | Sector: Aerospace Systems

Posting ID: ST/092114

Description:
The candidate must be a hands-on type of engineer who likes to work in an experimental test facility. The work will be mainly on aerospace propulsion and laser related testing. Knowledge in liquid propulsion and chemical laser is desirable. Job duties include understanding test requirements, writing test procedures, setting up test hardware including data acquisition systems, conducting tests, analyzing test results, and preparing test reports. Basic Qualifications: BS degree or equivalent, in ChE, ME, or AE with or without experience. Must be able to obtain and retain a DOD secret clearance. Preferred Qualifications: In-depth experience in programming and using LabView is preferred. Relocation Assistance Available. Security Clearance Required.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM

103 posts, read 278,206 times
I graduated in December (Master's degree) and have been employed since February. I applied for tons of things online but had the most success going to job fairs and meeting with people face to face. It may be worth it to come up here for job fairs and such if you aren't too far away. If you're single and have nothing in particular tying you to the area it's the ideal time to try another area of the country....you can always come back to the South later. We do love Huntsville though!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 7,513 times
I guess from your replies that Huntsville isn't really for a recent grad. I kind of figured that when I had a look at the qualifications for many of the jobs.

I think that my goal is a little too ambitious. I want to try to get a job in the south and in a medium sized city (and as a added dream, near the ocean), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I could stay in Atlanta and get a job here, but I really hate it in Atlanta. It's depressing looking, there's no beach or seafood, there's no trees or parks, the people here don't seem to believe in sidewalks and I could go on. But mostly, it's not southern (as far as people and culture) despite being in the south.

I really want to live in the south after graduation. That dream seems like it's dying.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:54 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
I don't think that the statement "Huntsville isn't really for a recent grad" is true, professionally speaking. Every location has jobs at the entry level. But in this economy, companies are reserving new hires for things they really need, and even though Huntsville has been in a relatively good position economically compared to many other areas in the country, it isn't entirely immune. Even companies that are doing well are aware of the economic situation and are going to be conservative when it comes to hiring practices right now. I think you'll find this to be the case everywhere.

That said, as a young person without a spouse or kids, you do have more flexibility in terms of options. You can live anywhere with fewer concerns about school quality, cost of living, and uprooting family. With the current economy, I think recent grads would be well-advised to either or just be extremely flexible in terms of accepting a job (what and where) - or if you can swing it use this time to go to grad school. Grad school will equate to experience a field you are interested in, so it's more productive than sitting around unemployed or accepting a job you don't like (and thus accumulating experience in a field you don't like.)

Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I don't think that the statement "Huntsville isn't really for a recent grad" is true, professionally speaking.

But....

As life experience goes, I think what everyone is encouraging you to...

Go travel to bigger cities
Meet unusual people including
Women with buns of steels...

Don't regret later in life and wonder what else is out there...

or you'll end up as one of those guys that still has the same high school hair style...

I mean... after all, from your post, I am not convinced that you really know what you want to do in life, or at a professional level for that matter...

Don't limit yourself.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Look at this. Perfect for a young, single, recent engineering grad. Right near the beach.

Job Detail (http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getJobPostDetail.do?sequenceNumber=185497 - broken link)

Title: Engineer 1
Category: Engineering/Product Development
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA / USA | Sector: Aerospace Systems

Posting ID: ST/092114

Description:
The candidate must be a hands-on type of engineer who likes to work in an experimental test facility. The work will be mainly on aerospace propulsion and laser related testing. Knowledge in liquid propulsion and chemical laser is desirable. Job duties include understanding test requirements, writing test procedures, setting up test hardware including data acquisition systems, conducting tests, analyzing test results, and preparing test reports. Basic Qualifications: BS degree or equivalent, in ChE, ME, or AE with or without experience. Must be able to obtain and retain a DOD secret clearance. Preferred Qualifications: In-depth experience in programming and using LabView is preferred. Relocation Assistance Available. Security Clearance Required.
Sounds like a great job, where do I apply?

I ran a laser test one time. I was feeling a bit bored so I put my company badge in front of the laser beam (on purpose )

It punches through a hole in less than 2 seconds !

That was only a 'scientific' laser. Now imagine if it's a 'chemical' laser

But I can't live with an Engineer 1 salary anymore, definitely not in Manhattan Beach (read: rent for a 1-bed room apartment with NO parking space is $1,500/mo).

Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
But....

As life experience goes, I think what everyone is encouraging you to...

Go travel to bigger cities
Meet unusual people including
Women with buns of steels...

Don't regret later in life and wonder what else is out there...

or you'll end up as one of those guys that still has the same high school hair style...

I mean... after all, from your post, I am not convinced that you really know what you want to do in life, or at a professional level for that matter...

Don't limit yourself.
Charles, help this child envision/picture his possibilities..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area