Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

93 posts, read 202,798 times

Advertisements

- people that are completely oblivious to the 10-15 people in line behind them as they gab with the cashier about absolutely nothing
- trucks everywhere with ONE person in them
- hair styles on women that you will simply not see anywhere else
- police directing traffic outside of mega-churches
- a total lack of decent radio programming (except for WLRH)
- construction on the Parkway. 4+ years for an *overpass*?
- no bike lanes on streets
- no good Chinese food
- clientele at WalMart wearing pajamas and slippers
- sausage and cheese pizza, where are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
we all view this place through a different lens, so it's really all in jest

my comparisons are based on life inside the beltway, living in high-rise buildings where everyone is a fit, trendy, lawyer, hipster, overgraded civil servant (or intern) who drives a car north of 30K and pays 2K a month for a few hundred square feet. (edit, I make fun of them too, so it's all good)

honestly, the outer burbs of DC in both MD and VA are pretty much like HSV when you get down to observing daily life.... just overcrowded

Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Tornado Sirens - maybe I'll get use to them, but the sound of them still makes me nervous.
And maybe you should. Since I have been here more than you, I can tell from the past 5 yrs observations that more and more tornadic-type activity and warnings I've seen reported for S-SE Hsv ("crossing the mountain") in the last year than N-NE Hsv.
When we moved here, I was told NNE Hsv/County was sort of "tornado alley" (the vast open land, north of 72, Winchester, Moores Mill, Hazel Green, Meridianville, New Market, Hwy53).
In the last year I have seen increasing activity in Morgan Cty spilling into Madison - Lacey Spring, OXR, HC, "over the mountain".
Just my observation, I don't know what's the explanation, but I'm glad I get a reprieve from time to time.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
I am a completely healthy adult male with no obvious physical handicaps (not sure about the mental, but that's another thread). The last thing I want is a 70+ yr old man or 20 yr old girl taking my groceries out. Yup, I too have to tell them that I'll do it. How about if they help the next customer in line instead?
What if the next customer in line is Tammie and so on?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:14 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Wow--this must be a native Alabamian arriving on the scene.

Better watch out, Charles might post your picture on the board.
Way off - European import:>) Try again.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
I like my doors opened, I have never paid for a meal on a date, but....just like you say southern men are taught to lend a hand, I was raised to lend a hand with seniors, the disabled, children, etc. So it goes against how I was raised.

I never meant to start a debate about the grocery guy and who carries their own groceries to the car.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Way off - European import:>) Try again.

The good thing with the European imports (and other imports) is that they can cuss bilingual I can't tell you how many times that helped me to relieve or to defuse a bad-driver situation (see the Hsv Driving thread)

Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just a slight edit..

Tammie, if a man does something for you, it's because he wants to sleep with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
LOL too funny, but true in many places.
Tammie,

Post of pic of you and we will see if this is true !!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
The good thing with the European imports (and other imports) is that they can cuss bilingual I can't tell you how many times that helped me to relieve or to defuse a bad-driver situation (see the Hsv Driving thread)
No need for verbal battles - PU/mudders

Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
- people that are completely oblivious to the 10-15 people in line behind them as they gab with the cashier about absolutely nothing
Is this a north Alabama thing? I don't notice it down here in the Mobile area. Some of the cashiers down here (especially Wal-Mart) don't even say a single word to you...zilch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area