Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:11 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julilg View Post
AL weather makes anything outdoors or dependant on pedestrians a risky venture.
Not really sure why it is any different than the rest of the eastern United States. AL has heat and humidity in the summer and a decent amount of rain. So does the rest of the Southeast. Look at Franklin, TN. The weather there is no different than here, yet they have a charming little walkable downtown that is busy most of the year, especially on the weekends. The Northeast and Midwest have cold winters but also lots of rain the rest of the year and it isn't that unusual to hit the 90s in the summer in many areas. Each area has its weather challenges, with proper planning and design, you can make a nice pedestrian friendly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
I can't really wrap my head around why expanding the area of downtown 10X would help downtown flourish. That area is huge and in no way walkable. Shouldn't they focus on developing and renovating the downtown area that exists?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

So here is Madison's tiny downtown in its current state.

The "expanded" vision for downtown includes this massive football stadium, this sprawling Wal-Mart strip center, an industrial park, and many other low-density obstacles. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but how many HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars will it take town taxpayers to afford to acquire and demolish all of these properties through eminent domain in order to give Madison a proper downtown? Shouldn't this have been planned years ago before all of this development occurred?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
What's a batter downtown?
A short stack with eggs...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
how many HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars will it take town taxpayers to afford to acquire and demolish all of these properties through eminent domain in order to give Madison a proper downtown? Shouldn't this have been planned years ago before all of this development occurred?
Wasn't that essential, but the expansion and updating of the roadways to accommodate the population explosion should have been.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Not really sure why it is any different than the rest of the eastern United States. AL has heat and humidity in the summer and a decent amount of rain. So does the rest of the Southeast. Look at Franklin, TN. The weather there is no different than here, yet they have a charming little walkable downtown that is busy most of the year, especially on the weekends. The Northeast and Midwest have cold winters but also lots of rain the rest of the year and it isn't that unusual to hit the 90s in the summer in many areas. Each area has its weather challenges, with proper planning and design, you can make a nice pedestrian friendly area.
Who knows, maybe Alabamians are more weather sensitive. Hopefully with so many newcomers outdoor stuff will be more sucessful. Bridge Street seems to be doing better than many locals expected.

We certainly have a lot more restaurant patios than in years past and they seem to be utilized. Whereas in my early years here, the few outdoor dining options were usually empty; except for me, and I'd get a lot of weird looks plus angry wait people forced to clean leaves and debris off seldom used tables.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 AM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I can't really wrap my head around why expanding the area of downtown 10X would help downtown flourish. That area is huge and in no way walkable. Shouldn't they focus on developing and renovating the downtown area that exists?
The area discussed in the referenced article doesn't make sense to me either. I can understand in the long run, trying to extend "downtown" north to include the library, but south to Madison Blvd. is illogical IMO.

Speaking of library, I think it was the Mayor quoted as saying the library would be included, but the library is actually north of the proposed northern boundary. Though not by much, maybe they just didn't have a better point than BF/OMP to reference as a boundary.

I agree they should continue to focus on improving what's there before trying to expand. This is not the 1st time "they" talked about improving downtown and believe it or not, it actually is improved.

There were once plans to convert the old hardware store into a brew pub. As I recall, it was properly designated on the National Register of Historic places making it eligble under the alcohol brew/sale laws at the time. According to talk of the day, something went south between the investors - the local property owners and a partner affiliated with Montgomery's brew pub.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 39,319 times
Isn't there already a Wal-Mart strip mall on Hwy 20? That's not very far from downtown Madison...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcarnage View Post
Isn't there already a Wal-Mart strip mall on Hwy 20? That's not very far from downtown Madison...
This is the south, you can never have too many Walmarts

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 12,169 times
I think they should leave Madison alone. It's been raided and pillaged enough already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area