Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM

28 posts, read 48,411 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I had a few questions on huntsville.

1. How is mass transit? Do you need a car to get around?

2. I am 25 yrs old single female with a bach. Degree in Intl business. Is huntsville a good fit
For someone my age? Is it a good fit for my field?

3. How is cost of living? Any gooD apts under 1000 in a nice area with young professionals, bars, restaurants,etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saina View Post
Hi,

I had a few questions on huntsville.

1. How is mass transit? Do you need a car to get around?

2. I am 25 yrs old single female with a bach. Degree in Intl business. Is huntsville a good fit
For someone my age? Is it a good fit for my field?

3. How is cost of living? Any gooD apts under 1000 in a nice area with young professionals, bars, restaurants,etc

1. Probably not what a lot of large urban cities have. Here is the link to the city's public transit: City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama ***

Almost everyone uses a vehicle.

2. Depends on if you can get a job? Do you see job hits when looking on job search databases?

3. Cheap compared to larger cities, and cheap compared to places with jobs (in general, not sure about your career). I don't get the sense that Hutnsville is fantastic for the young professional, club scene, but maybe others will chime in with more information.

I hate to sound negative but your questions were specific and I can't answer much better than that. Huntsville is a great place for a lot of people (technical people, middle class families for example) but maybe not for everybody.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 23,302 times
Default re H ville

Yes its good choice, lake resorty feel in summer, low cost of living etc., near charlotte, grt place to live

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,435,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 1 View Post
Yes its good choice, lake resorty feel in summer, low cost of living etc., near charlotte, grt place to live

Don't sell the girl something that HUNTSVILLE, AL is not.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,065,298 times
Quote:
Wrong town, dude.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 23,302 times
Default Not even close!

Far cry form Huntsville, no offense agt Huntsville. Charlotte is southern growth city and Huntersville is the big suburg north with Lake Norman as part of the amenity package, lots of young professionals, cheap housing and people from Northesat, Ca, Midwestand Fl good mix of folks from all over. Lots fun here, but summer is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Don't sell the girl something that HUNTSVILLE, AL is not.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,220,555 times
Quote:
Far cry form Huntsville, no offense agt Huntsville. Charlotte is southern growth city and Huntersville is the big suburg north with Lake Norman as part of the amenity package, lots of young professionals, cheap housing and people from Northesat, Ca, Midwestand Fl good mix of folks from all over. Lots fun here, but summer is best.
Do you realize you're posting in the HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA forum???

Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,033,063 times
Of course! He is a realtor

Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,850,371 times
Hey. I think that you have chosen a great choice. Huntsville is emerging as a nice cosmopolitan medium-sized city. There is a decent sized young professional population that will grow bigger with thousands of new jobs that are going to come.

1. Huntsville does have some form of mass transit, but it is still an emerging small city that has alot of growing up to do in the future.

2a. Huntsville is known for its family feel, but there are a lot of young professionals although there could be more. Trust me, you won't be the only young professional in Huntsville.

2b. Huntsville is very technical and businessy. It was ranked as one of the top cities to do business! There are tons of jobs in the Research Park that will meet your job criteria.

3a. Huntsville has a low cost of living compared to places like DC, Atlanta, and others.

4a. The University Drive area near Madison Square Mall and Bridgestreet is a great area for you. It has several restaurants, bars, and tons of shopping. Madison Square Mall is the largest mall in North Alabama that has a good shopping. There ia new very upscale town center called Bridgestreet that has some of the most exclusive shopping Huntsville, including Juicy Couture, Lucy Brand Jeans, and bebe. Also at Bridgestreet, you can find nice restaurants including O'Connors, Dolce, and Red Robin. There is an upscale movie theatre there, Monaco Pictures and there is nice entertainment such as The Station, a Dave n' Busters type place. Also in the shopping category, there is a large shopping center down from Madison Square that has stores like Marshall's and SuperTarget. There is a Wal-Mart, a Burlington's, and other stores in this area. There are several new apartment complexes in this area under $1000, including Bridgewater, Emerald Ridge, Providence Mainstreet apartments. If you go a little far south and west from this area (but closer to Bridgestreet) you will end up in Madison, which have several new complexes under $1000, including Madison Park, Arbor Street? and around the Zeidrt Road corridor.
You can also look at the Memorial Parkway south area. This area is just like the mall area on University. This area includes a nice upscale indoor mall named Parkway Place Mall. There are several Wal-Marts in this area. Restaurants are the normal chain restaurants that you are used to. There is going to be a new nightclub, Club 222, in this area. Southern Family Adventures is a small fun center that includes a go-kart track and an aracde. There is a brand new apartment complex called Sweetwater? in this area under $1000. There are several new and old, but nice apartments in this area. If you go a little east of this area along Airport Road area (sadly, very congested area!), you will find some nice apartments and a large shopping center with a Super Tagert, Rue21, and others. Places like TJ Maxx are on Airport.
Downtown is getting better with a new shopping/office/residential/entertainment complex being developed called Constellation. Check this area out!

All in all Huntsville is a nice place to live: you have more than enough shopping with 5+ million sqaure foot of shopping proposed or is being developed in about 4 very large shopping centers. Due to the rapid growth and expected growth, apartments within your price range is very likely! The growth will more than likely bring more young professionals to the area and maybe, a better mass transit system. Jobs are plentiful. In Huntsville, the world is your oyster. It is what it is!

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,435,115 times
A&M Bulldog is 18, so he could suggest more than everybody else (I assume mid 30's, married with children) on the "entertainment" topic.

I would only add you try searching for jobs in your field (I see you work for an exporter out of NY), or any other field you think you're up for and see for yourself what Hsv had to offer in that respect. Plenty of jobs revolve around Defense and Aerospace (govt-direct and contractor, engineering, programming, project management, contract management), and a lot less (civilian) manufacturing (shrinking base). Once you have a job lined up - yes, the cost of living is low, you can even afford a car (if public transport isn't satisfactory), and an apt. under $1,000. Nashville and Birmingham are only 1.5-2 hrs away (if hsv entertainment isn't enough)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area