Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 40,027 times

Advertisements

We are moving to either the SW part of Huntsville or the Madison/Monrovia area in June. We are trying to fix a budget and was wondering if someone could help us with utility cost estimates. Is there a set water/sewer price? Also I would like to know gas and electric bills for both winter and summer. I appreciate any help you have to offer. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:56 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
Utility costs are going to be affected by lots of different factors, such as
Age/energy efficiency of the home (older homes tend to be less energy efficient, and the major systems as well, plus the grade of insulation in the home as well as type of windows makes a difference).
Family usage (this is really one of the biggest effects on your utility costs)
What systems are gas/electric? If you only use gas for one or two appliances, like a gas water heater and gas log fireplace, you bill should be pretty minimal. Add in gas heat, and you are going to have high gas bills in the winter, with rather minimal electric bills in winter.

My house is 2500 sft, two story, with zoned heat/air. We are all electric, aside from a gas water heater and gas logs. Our power runs highest in the winter at around $200 (that is the highest we have experienced, and that is in February). In spring and fall when the climates are milder, power will run us around $125. Gas usually is about $40-$50 a month, of course the higher bills come in the winter when we are burning our gas logs.
Our water bill (we are Madison city) generally is around $40 for a 5000 gallon comsumption, and that is sewer charges as well. In the county areas water is cheaper, and you do not have public sewer in many areas, the majority of homes are on septic systems.

If the home is a resale, you can ask for the seller's last year of utilities. But, if the house is vacant, keep in mind that the utilities will not be reflective of the true utility costs with a family actually occupying the property, so you may need to go farther back in the utility history. The majority of the new homes in those area and that square footage are going to be all electric, and many are energy star rated.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,874 times
We have about the same size house, but gas fireplace, central heat, stove, dryer and water heater...everything else was electric. In the winter, gas ran $150-$200 and we try to be very conservative with our usage. Electricity was much cheaper...

As LCT mentioned, it will really depend on a lot of factors...

Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
My house is 2500 sft, two story, with zoned heat/air. We are all electric, aside from a gas water heater and gas logs. Our power runs highest in the winter at around $200 (that is the highest we have experienced, and that is in February). In spring and fall when the climates are milder, power will run us around $125. Gas usually is about $40-$50 a month.
My house is 3,300 sqft, two story, all electric including water heater. Our highest bill was ~$225 this winter. But our house is new with dual-pane windows (all 24 of them !) that's the upside, and my wife likes it warm (~70 deg. F) that's the down side. In the summer, the electric bill is ~$100/mo., and wife likes it warm becomes an upside . In between seasons, the electric bill can be as low as $40/mo.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
Holy Cow HB2HSV! That is pretty great! My house is only 3 years old, and we keep ours at 70 degrees, summer and winter. Still, you have me beat on utility costs hands down!
I would LOVE to know who your builder was...I have an idea....

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Holy Cow HB2HSV! That is pretty great! My house is only 3 years old, and we keep ours at 70 degrees, summer and winter. Still, you have me beat on utility costs hands down!
I would LOVE to know who your builder was...I have an idea....
Hey LCT, DM me who do you think the builder is and I'll tell ya if you're right

Old 04-02-2010, 08:45 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Electric utility costs depend a tremendous amount on lifestyle. Two people showering each day and washing dishes is almost an automatic $1/day, add in lights and you are at $40/mo. A tivo and cable and satellite box can add $5 a month. Water pumps add more, heat pumps are efficient only in certain temperature ranges, and so on. Laundry, especially with a drier can be costly.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM

339 posts, read 628,719 times
My former home (moved out about a year ago) was ~1600 sq ft, all electric, built in 2001. Huntsville city , all utilities (including trash) ran about $150/mo on a 12 month average.

Now I'm in Madison City with gas heat and fireplace, electric everything else. House is ~2600 sq ft, a year or two older. My 11-month average (again including trash) is $250. We keep our house ~71 in the winter and ~78 in the summer. We rarely use the fireplace, I just have a feeling it costs too much

We have 3 kids, so the dishwasher is run daily, the toilets are flushed quite often, and laundry is washed at least every other day (and we use the dryer).

Jake

Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Electric utility costs depend a tremendous amount on lifestyle. Two people showering each day and washing dishes is almost an automatic $1/day, add in lights and you are at $40/mo. A tivo and cable and satellite box can add $5 a month. Water pumps add more, heat pumps are efficient only in certain temperature ranges, and so on. Laundry, especially with a drier can be costly.
I was wondering why we are paying $600 in winter for 2400sqft 2-story all electric. Besides being a highly inefficient house, we do all of the above, and more, having young kids (more laundry, thermostat at 74, physically getting thru the door is 3x longer "mommy, I want my teddy. OK, wait here (door open so I can see them), I'll get it" -they always remember their toys the second after they stepped outside). Spring/and fall is where we pay $150-$200 and evens out for the year. Hot Summer is around $300-400, but that winter bill sticks out.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
I was wondering why we are paying $600 in winter for 2400sqft 2-story all electric. Besides being a highly inefficient house, we do all of the above, and more, having young kids (more laundry, thermostat at 74, physically getting thru the door is 3x longer "mommy, I want my teddy. OK, wait here (door open so I can see them), I'll get it" -they always remember their toys the second after they stepped outside). Spring/and fall is where we pay $150-$200 and evens out for the year. Hot Summer is around $300-400, but that winter bill sticks out.
OUCH! Friday. It's time to insulate your house.

Or get a new one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area