Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM

29 posts, read 78,334 times

Advertisements

Long time reader, first time poster. I wanted to share my experiences with the process of dealing with a neighbor's barking dog.

Link to HSV Animal Services Barking Dog process page: Barking Dogs

Last spring, my next-door neighbor bought his wife a cute little puppy, like the one from Marlie & Me. They kept it inside, loved on it, walked it each day, etc. Then, as most puppies do, it grew into a dog. They built a 8ft x 15ft pen for this 80+lb dog in their back yard and only go out to give it food & water once a day.

The barking became a noticeable problem in December, I approached the neighbors directly on a few occasions to complain about my family's lack of sleep the previous nights, but nothing came of it. I even purchased a bark collar for them off ebay, but it was not used because "it's a dog's nature to bark". In late Feb, I was getting to wit's end and called HSV Animal Control. I was advised to keep a bark journal and call them back if the problem persisted. It did.

Fourty-days later, HSV Animal Services have visited multiple times, I have had a few more conversations where the owners deny any responsibility to control their dog. The most notable was last Saturday, when my entire family was woken up at 1:30am and kept awake near constantly till 4:00am. I had promised myself not to talk directly to them anymore, but the owner was outside picking up leaves. So I spoke about the amount of barking the previous night, he said they had "a night out and didn't get home till about 2:00am, so the dog was probably barking at them." I asked him once again to bring the dog in at night, but was told that was not possible. Immediately following that talk, his wife rings my doorbell and asks me not to visit them anymore, tells me the amount I've complained about the dog is ridiculous and harassing. I called HSV PD's non-emergency number to find out if I was being harassing (no way I'm letting them get a counter suit) and they send an officer out to take my statement. Funny thing, while the officer is writing the report in his car, my dear neighbors feed the dog and take it for a walk (first I've seen it out of the pen in months)...put on a front for authorities much?

Tuesday, I had miss work to go to Animal Services and pickup reports from their visits, go to Municipal Court and get a report from the officer's visit and file a criminal police report against the owners for "Maintaining a Nuisance". I have an appointment for next Monday, missing work again, to follow up with the court magistrate and show him my evidence: Bark Journal, Animal Control Records, DVD recording of the dog barking it's fool head off (no I did not taunt it), Police Report, and signed statements from four other households of the nuisance (secretary said these probably wouldn't be considered because they are not notarized). Then if he approves, there will be a warrant for the owners to appear in court where I pray that they will find judgement to have the dog removed and not let these irresponsible people have another outside pet, so I can finally enjoy the comfort of my own home and yard again.

I'll let you all know what I find out next Monday. Just wanted to give you an initial rundown of the flaming hoops I've had to jump through just to get this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM

168 posts, read 311,086 times
It is amazing what society puts up with from dogs and cats. Meanwhile, people get offended when someone brings chickens (hens only) into a neighborhood!

I have plenty of ideas for you, but none of them are exactly legal. Where I grew up, you learn to take care of problems yourself without the aid of authorities. Get creative. One of my friends had a problem like this growing up, so his dad would call the owner at whatever time (3 AM)....... and when he picked up the phone, the owner heard......

"BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!"

That was the last time they had a problem! Sounds like you're going to have to take it a bit further though. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven7 View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. I wanted to share my experiences with the process of dealing with a neighbor's barking dog.

Link to HSV Animal Services Barking Dog process page: Barking Dogs

Last spring, my next-door neighbor bought his wife a cute little puppy, like the one from Marlie & Me. They kept it inside, loved on it, walked it each day, etc. Then, as most puppies do, it grew into a dog. They built a 8ft x 15ft pen for this 80+lb dog in their back yard and only go out to give it food & water once a day.

The barking became a noticeable problem in December, I approached the neighbors directly on a few occasions to complain about my family's lack of sleep the previous nights, but nothing came of it. I even purchased a bark collar for them off ebay, but it was not used because "it's a dog's nature to bark". In late Feb, I was getting to wit's end and called HSV Animal Control. I was advised to keep a bark journal and call them back if the problem persisted. It did.

Fourty-days later, HSV Animal Services have visited multiple times, I have had a few more conversations where the owners deny any responsibility to control their dog. The most notable was last Saturday, when my entire family was woken up at 1:30am and kept awake near constantly till 4:00am. I had promised myself not to talk directly to them anymore, but the owner was outside picking up leaves. So I spoke about the amount of barking the previous night, he said they had "a night out and didn't get home till about 2:00am, so the dog was probably barking at them." I asked him once again to bring the dog in at night, but was told that was not possible. Immediately following that talk, his wife rings my doorbell and asks me not to visit them anymore, tells me the amount I've complained about the dog is ridiculous and harassing. I called HSV PD's non-emergency number to find out if I was being harassing (no way I'm letting them get a counter suit) and they send an officer out to take my statement. Funny thing, while the officer is writing the report in his car, my dear neighbors feed the dog and take it for a walk (first I've seen it out of the pen in months)...put on a front for authorities much?

Tuesday, I had miss work to go to Animal Services and pickup reports from their visits, go to Municipal Court and get a report from the officer's visit and file a criminal police report against the owners for "Maintaining a Nuisance". I have an appointment for next Monday, missing work again, to follow up with the court magistrate and show him my evidence: Bark Journal, Animal Control Records, DVD recording of the dog barking it's fool head off (no I did not taunt it), Police Report, and signed statements from four other households of the nuisance (secretary said these probably wouldn't be considered because they are not notarized). Then if he approves, there will be a warrant for the owners to appear in court where I pray that they will find judgement to have the dog removed and not let these irresponsible people have another outside pet, so I can finally enjoy the comfort of my own home and yard again.

I'll let you all know what I find out next Monday. Just wanted to give you an initial rundown of the flaming hoops I've had to jump through just to get this far.
Sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
Just curious: do you live in a cramped subdivision, 60x130 lots? However "traumatic" this experience may be for you, I'm trying to make it a "teachable moment" for me and see how close from the neighbor's, a dog's bark would be a nuissance. While I am not opposed to anybody having a (barking) dog, I would like to avoid as possible to live very close to the neighbors. I currently live on a 100x150 lot with (barking) dogs in the back, across, side, but never bothered me so far. I hear them loudly when I walk by, or even at night, but nothing out of ordinary. thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,454 times
We were unaware that our dog was keeping our neighbor up half the night recently. Our phone rang 2 nights in a row in the middle of the night. I didn't answer, thinking it HAD to be a wrong number. The neighbor finally caught me and was much nicer than I would have been. Our loveable Golden Retriever was keeping her up, barking at the top of his lungs, off an on all night for a couple of weeks. I felt horrible. Gus is now grounded and has to stay inside with us. The doggie door is on "lock" when we go to bed.

Any decent person would be respectful of their neighbors. We are still on great terms with our neighbor and understood why she would be upset.

Daven7, your neighbors seem VERY unreasonable...time to move, lol. OR, I could go knock on their door and see if they are ready to sell, LOL. I'll bring the other 2 city-data agents with me and we can each take turns pestering them to sell. Now THAT could be fun

Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,292 times
Before I tell this, I want to clarify that I am not advising you to go this route.

My sister had 2 dogs. One of them kept getting complaints from barking by a neighbor. The dog never started barking until the neighbor got a female dog....my sister's was a male. Anyway one day my sister's family woke up and their dog was dead. It was just about a year old. They figure the neighbor poisoned the dog but don't know how becuase the other dog was fine.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
Unfortunately, the animals suffer because of stupid, ignorant and disrespectful humans. Animals are not at fault, please remember. It is the human or owner who is at fault by allowing or teaching bad behaviour or negligance and should be held responsible. Any cruelty for any reason to animals should not be tolerated. Now, about what should be done to those humans ---

Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM

29 posts, read 78,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
Just curious: do you live in a cramped subdivision, 60x130 lots?
I'm not sure the exact measure, but the lots are small, 60x130 could be about right. I would say from our bedroom, in the NE corner of our house, to the dog's pen it is maybe 20-30ft. So it is close, but the real discerning factor in my opinion is the size of the dog. When the little yippers of other neighbors get let out to potty, we don't hear them anywhere in our home, but this big dog nearly rattles the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
Daven7, your neighbors seem VERY unreasonable...time to move, lol. OR, I could go knock on their door and see if they are ready to sell, LOL. I'll bring the other 2 city-data agents with me and we can each take turns pestering them to sell. Now THAT could be fun
Another thought to add to my dreams of sweet revenge. Although my wife has said "either the dog goes, or we go", so if by some stretch of the imagination this problem isn't remedied by the municipal judge, we maybe calling you to sell our house! (Just plan all showing between 7am-5:30pm, the dog is nocturnal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Unfortunately, the animals suffer because of stupid, ignorant and disrespectful humans. Animals are not at fault, please remember. It is the human or owner who is at fault by allowing or teaching bad behaviour or negligance and should be held responsible. Any cruelty for any reason to animals should not be tolerated. Now, about what should be done to those humans ---
You ain't kidding Mawoods. That's why I don't harbor any thoughts of "taking care" of the dog myself. It's only barking because it wants the love and attention it had when they kept it inside as a puppy. The owners left her out all winter, even during our snow storms with just a dogloo and a few spots of hay. In my honest opinion they don't give a rat's bare behind about the dog anymore, it's just their "right" to have a dog they're fighting me on.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven7 View Post
It's only barking because it wants the love and attention it had when they kept it inside as a puppy. The owners left her out all winter, even during our snow storms with just a dogloo and a few spots of hay. In my honest opinion they don't give a rat's bare behind about the dog anymore,

What about calling some extremist PETA people, the ones that do all sorts of radical attention grabbing stunts? Maybe they can pull something off in front of your neighbor's home.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
Good idea Charles!!!!! Those people don't need to be animal owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area