Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 03:09 PM

15 posts, read 48,769 times

Advertisements

This is my very first post here and I want to say how surprised I am that the topic that appears to have the most potential for frightening me is the topic I've found to have the most useful info with the fewest negative rants, so thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge and experience. I'm planning to relocate to FL from TX with my mom, sister and adult neice within the next few months. We did a road trip along the coast of the panhandle and from Spring Hill to Fort Myers last Feb. and didn't see anything we didn't like! Kind of makes narrowing down our desicion as to where we want to be difficult, so I've been all over this forum and have lots of questions, but I'll post them in the approporite places.

Here's my hurricane questions:

I've read about evacuation plans for different zones - what is that? Is your zone determined by the potential for surge?

I can't imagine a situation in which I would prefer sleeping in my car in a stand-still traffic jam of folks trying to evacuate over huddling in a closet with a matress over my head - have any of you actually made that decision?

We'll all be living in a rental condo or apartment for at least the first 6 mos. we're there before considering buying (from what I've read it sounds like renting is a much better move than buying, even in the long term) - is hurricane preparation different in you're in a condo? Are there rules about installing the shutters, for example?

We've all lived in the midwest tornado alley and in So. CA over the years and tell people that after feeling the earth move under your feet hurricanes don't scare us. We say our goal is to trade "roads may be icy" signs for "hurricane evacuation route" signs - are we not taking them seriously enough?

Again, let me say that I really appreciate the sharing of info under this topic. You folks are helping educate those of us considering a move there in a spirit of sharing and informing and that's exactly what I was hoping to find here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM

21 posts, read 50,677 times
it's simple, your zone is probably the nearest school or church (safe place) the biggest threat of hurricanes is the surge. the news/weather will tell you. when they tell you to leave do just that!! leave. dont forget your pets. most shelters dont take pets unfortunatley so you have to put them in a pet shelter. your condo association will tell you everything you need to know. listen and learn. it's important. also get your medication stocked, if you need meds. always be prepared to be without power and atm machines for two weeks.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Lightbulb Be prepared

The best thing to do is to develop a plan on what to do early enough so at the time that a hurricane you are prepare to execute.

We posted many checklists in this forum that can satisfy the many needs of most Floridians. One of the practices for a new person is to know his way around town and have a survival kit (including water, canned food, money, etc).

Find out about the shelter locations, the emergency management agency of your town will have a list. Avoid areas that will flood and try to keep to car full of gas.

Watch the news and if the hurricane is coming to your area decide if you need to evacuate. Talk to the families in your area they will know for sure what to do.

Don't fear a hurricane, be prepare to react....

Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The best thing to do is to develop a plan on what to do early enough so at the time that a hurricane you are prepare to execute.

We posted many checklists in this forum that can satisfy the many needs of most Floridians. One of the practices for a new person is to know his way around town and have a survival kit (including water, canned food, money, etc).

Find out about the shelter locations, the emergency management agency of your town will have a list. Avoid areas that will flood and try to keep to car full of gas.

Watch the news and if the hurricane is coming to your area decide if you need to evacuate. Talk to the families in your area they will know for sure what to do.

Don't fear a hurricane, be prepare to react....

I'm curious, why don't homes in Florida have basements? I would think that if it is possible to secure a foundation for a high rise, then wouldn't it be possible to have a basement?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I'm curious, why don't homes in Florida have basements? I would think that if it is possible to secure a foundation for a high rise, then wouldn't it be possible to have a basement?
In places with odd stratified soil substrata or high water tables, such as most of Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, basements are usually not financially feasible unless the building is a large apartment or commercial structure.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Basements are only needed where it freezes in the winter. They are a convenient way to sink your foundation below the frost line. Oh yes and in Florida water is very close to the surface. Imagine a hurricane pushing water toward homes with a basement, better start pumping!

Contrary to popular beilef there ARE basements in Florida, rare but they exist. A friend of mine in Coral Gables has a home from 1928 with a full basement. It does have a lot of humidity problems though. You're a lot better off in a stilt house than in a basement.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 AM

11 posts, read 49,900 times
Default positive info

Maybe you should consider Ocala, Florida. We are middle of the state and have very little threat from hurricanes. I have lived here 34 years and the first real threat was a few years ago when Frances, Jean, and Charlie were active. It is a great place, check it out!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 AM

206 posts, read 1,134,668 times
Hurricanes really are not that bad if you take heed to the warnings, prepare yourself... OR live a little further inland to protect yourself. Keep in mind that if you are determined to live on the beach then you are at higher risk than any place else. If you are in a condo or high rise apartment complex chances are you will have hurricane shutters on your windows.

New homes in Florida are now REQUIRED to have hurricane shutters... corregated metal panels that are attached to the house over the windows. Many people with older homes have also purchased such devices since the "year of the hurricanes".

Keep in mind that the cost of your rental will also depend on the owner's cost for insurance. Many insurance companies are pulling out of Florida and many are dropping coverage for buildings within a certain distance of the beach. Owners that are lucky enough to keep insurance are also seeing a high increase in their premiums. Homes further away from the beach are less expensive to rent, buy and maintain.

My home is about 25 miles from the beach side. It is an older stick built home, built in 1990. We had minimal damage after the hurricanes in 2004 and used the insurance money to make good choices to strengthen our home. We put on a metal roof that is screwed down every 12 - 18 inches. We covered the home with Hardy Plank siding which is made with cement. We also installed all new double paned argon gas filled windows that have a high wind rating. Just a couple of weeks ago we installed a garage door with a 140 MPH wind rating. We have every confindence that this house is "hurricane sturdy". And it's a lot more energy efficient too !!!

Evacuation routes are very crowded when the time comes to go. Many people wait... As the saying goes... you snooze you loose. Most people on the beaches that do evacuate go to Orlando or other locations in the center of the state. Although there are thousands of hotel rooms in the Orlando / Kissimmee area they fill up fast. So if that is your choice, then be prepared to have a large amount of cash on hand to be able to do that. Plan on being away from home for an extended period of time, at lease a week, if it's a large destructive storm. I evacuated in 2004 with my then pregnant daughter, two dogs and a cat leaving my husband and stepson at home on the east coast. We drove to my friends house in Naples in SW Florida. The drive is normally 4 hours. It took me over 10 hours to make the drive due to too many people trying to get from the east coast to the Turnpike. Gas stations along the way were nearly out of fuel, eating establishments and stores were closed. This was on Thursday afternoon... the storm was due to hit on Sunday.

If you can't / don't plan on evacuating at least prepare as best you can. Don't sit around waiting for FEMA or other agencies to help you out after the fact. There are many websites with long lists of things to do to prepare. You can start getting supplies early and have them ready. Florida has a "hurricane" tax holiday for a week or two every June at the beginning of the season. You can buy things like batteries, generators, emergency lighting and other things without paying sales tax.

So, keep all this in mind when looking for the place that is right for you. As mentioned before, many shelters don't take pets or other animals you might have. So be prepared to "reserve" a room for them in a nearby pet hospital or boarding facility. If your family members have special needs, such as dialysis, oxygen or other medical care they have a limited number of special needs shelters available. If you choose to live in an area where there is a high concentration of elderly.. then those places may fill up fast.

I'm leaving Florida soon, but it's not because of the hurricanes. My house is for sale now.. we are hoping all the renovations we did will make it more interesting to buyers... but not yet !

Old 11-21-2007, 02:27 PM

66 posts, read 320,137 times
Default Every hurricane you have to make a choice

Welcome to Florida!

With every storm you will have to decide whether you are going to stay or leave.

As a general rule, the interstates heading north will start filling up 24-48 hours before landfall.

If you don't mind being totally stopped in traffic for hours you can wait until the last minute to leave.

But if you want to beat the traffic, you have to head out early.

Best of luck to you.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes