Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM

55 posts, read 735,702 times

Advertisements

Have hurricanes prevented people from moving to Florida ? It looks like a beautiful place to live but Iam really worried about hurricanes....How do you deal with the fear from them? Are you ever worried? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
For every one who was discouraged there are 100 falling over eachother to move to the land of lowered expectations

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM

94 posts, read 134,273 times
I moved here not long ago and it was the last 2 feet of snow in NY that made me decide to come lol.
Hurricane didnt phase me. I have family here none ever suffered due to a hurricane ofcourse minor stuff and lack of electricity (but they have generators) overall nothing to complain about.
I bought a generator glad I didnt have to use it lol . When things get better in housing market plan to sell and go back to NY snow or no snow

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM

94 posts, read 134,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Have hurricanes prevented people from moving to Florida ? It looks like a beautiful place to live but Iam really worried about hurricanes....How do you deal with the fear from them? Are you ever worried? Thanks
lots great generators and hurricanes that inflict damage seem rare. I have only lived here 1 hurricane season but have family here and hurricanes are not an issue for them.
Dont let that discourage you .

Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
I'm sure that for many families that was the primary reason not to relocate to the state.

How do you deal with the fear? We should have no fear, just understand that hurricanes are a natural condition that might happen, so far we are doing good...and you MUST BE PREPARE to make/take decisions if one is coming your way. I have lived in the state for almost 16 years and experienced Andrew in 1992. They give you plenty of warning so if you have insurance, and know your risk and can live with it...you don't worry.

Please remember we have natural disaster all over our nation, so understanding risk and having a plan is crucial... Read the other threads in this forum that talk about your question...

Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
I hope it does stop some people from moving here at least until the state can do some catch up.

For me personally I was frightened out of my mind of the hurricanes, I think mainly because I had NEVER been through one. After going through the hurricane season of 2004, I feel I can deal with it pretty well now.

For me personally the secret to heading off the fear and anxiety is to do things to make you feel more prepared. Make a check list, keep hurricane supplies in a certain place, get it all together. The action of going through these almost rituals takes my mind off what is about too happen and I don't have the time to worry.

I always get a chuckle out of hearing what the weather is in other places. A friend sent me a picture of her little culdesac covered in snow in Oregon AND told me how they just had to spend all this money on snow tires. I had forgotten they even existed if you want to know the truth. Its been 80 degrees here daily, I can't even imagine what it would feel like to have snow on the ground.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM

384 posts, read 286,953 times
Ill take a hurricane (class 3 or under) any day compared to a Tornado,earthquake,total fire wipe-out(Calif),nor easter any day.

You can always get out of a way with hurricanes and you have plenty of time to do it.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,480 times
I live in South East Florida for 18 years. Was hit by Andrew, and then the fun 2004 and 2005 season (with Wilma knocking out our power, phones, and water for a few days). We have thankfully never sustained any home damage. Its definitely scary when it happens, but thankfully we've all been fine.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM

518 posts, read 2,225,912 times
My guess is that hurricanes have scared many people away from Florida, and the fallout from those hurricanes (such as skyrocketing insurance rates) have discouraged others.

If you do move here, start preparing and planning for a hurricane long before one threatens. It's kind of like having a fund for emergencies -- with any luck, you'll never need it, but it's good to know you're prepared.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,221 times
what is the safest places in floridia to live were hurricanes dont hit so often and low crime area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes